Camera help needed.

Randalizer

I open your image in Picasa and then double click it to the editing screen and all the data is on the left hand side. It is known as EXIF data. I always strip this data when posting pics (easily done using Save as then Advanced in The Gimp) as it makes them smaller files therefore allowing more pics per post.

Bio

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randalizer

• Biokid

• ripthedrift

• nyleridedog

So here it is with your suggestions. Don't know about you but I see a big improvement here! :D I'm damned impressed. :skin_up: The lower iso and smaller aperture settings really did it. :( It's too bad I can't get closer in shots though.

I'm on an Apple without photoshop, just preview. I took a run through it and don't seem to be able to find that data available anywhere.

post-31962-1293773319_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293773358_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293773400_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293773447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

By Jove, I think you've got it!

Those look 100 percent better than the first ones.

I just did some experiments with Ms Bio's Cannon here and found that muting the flash certainly improves the definition in the highlighted areas.

Cotc here we come.

Better get back to bed this end (5:40 am in UK) but hey, its given an insomniac something to do tonight.

Cheers.

Bio.

Just Googled "Exif viewer for Mac" and found a number of hits, perhaps a bit of surfing is in order?

The GIMP (Photoshop clone) is also out there for Mac although it won't read exif, it is a valuable tool for image manipulation. Takes some getting used to but it is very powerful and open source too.

Bio.

Bio dude thank you. :notworthy: You've been a big help! :yep: I'm afraid to use tissue though as when I used it earlier, the pics were too dark.

Now get some sleep! :rofl: I may have PS in a day or so. :wink:

Edited by Randalizer

hi mate

second picture in post 30 is much better... as was said keep at it lol

pollen

go on flea bay find netgadgets have a couple of really great tripods with heads and ready to go

I got 1 for my youngest, there fine for your cannon dude

I was impressed with the quality/build less than 40 quid a go, no postage

hope this helps .......... :rofl:

hi mate

second picture in post 30 is much better... as was said keep at it :rofl:

:puke:

Appreciate the feedback mate. Any others want to offer their opinions, please do. Keep it clean though. :rofl:

hi mate

second picture in post 30 is much better... as was said keep at it :B):

:)

Appreciate the feedback mate. Any others want to offer their opinions, please do. Keep it clean though. :rofl:

another good tip is to use a few 85 watt daylight bulbs in cheap office table lights and use them around the plants using a3/a2 size white cards to reflect the light back in to the plants.

lighting is another key factor in taking pictures

I'd say you could do that cheaply enough :hippy:

lighting is another key factor in taking pictures

I'd say you could do that cheaply enough :rofl:

I've been working the lighting a bit. I use the external flash as a bounce off the white walls I have. Now that I have a basic issue worked out (the grainyness) I can really start to fine tune the lighting. :hippy:

You have no idea how much that was bugging me! :)

My remote flash is pretty limited but I have yet to test it out extensively. My built in flash is very limited in actual power

I think I actually have some stage quality/film set quality diffusion film. Last think I need though is more work. :B):

Edited by Randalizer

Hello,

My 2p -

Make sure you image quality setting is on the highest/finest in camera,

Re-sizing your photos so the longest side is 1000px, helps keep image size down and stick to around 72DPI for web,

Don't ever use digital zoom, Just get closer to the object...

Optically zooming is fine but wide and close can distort,

More light means you can use higher shutter speeds, I use an 125w enviro light alot,

Nice clean bright white light...

If you want to you can use an online DOF calculator, I like them :)

Peace & Light

Mrm :wanker:

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the suggestions MrM! :yep: I have a handy clip on light so I'll give it a try near harvest time.

My camera rig on it's bike stand support.

post-31962-0-19539400-1296525197_thumb.jpg

post-31962-0-66321200-1296525235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

I'm so excited :guitar: sorry about that,i'v just purchased a second hand Canon EOS 20D :yahoo: off abey and can't wait to get to grips with it :yep: sorry to hijack your thread Rand, great shots btw.

• 8 months later...
Guest HailCannabis

Finally some practical info on using my camera, should have read this ages ago and thrown that dumb manual in the bin.