Camera help needed.

Randalizer

uhhh, still trying to get me head around all of this so please bear with me.

Depth of field is determined by the F setting/aperture opening yes? So a bigger aperture will let in more light and increase depth of field?

Not a lot of ambient light but I use the built in flash and a remote flash.

Manual focus is a bit tricky due to the small LCD screen but I'll use my reading glasses next time.

e2a:

Okay, just set my camera on manual, set speed to 1/200. What F setting should I use? Goes from F3.4 to F8.0. Just noticed manual has a super macro setting! :D

:yep:

Just reset LCD brightness to max so I can see better in the dim growroom light. lol

Edited by Randalizer

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randalizer

• Biokid

• ripthedrift

• nyleridedog

Smaller F setting the better the depth of field (ie more will be in focus front to back)

Just saw this. :D:yep:

Time to take a few pics! Be right back!

Edited by Randalizer

uhhh, still trying to get me head around all of this so please bear with me.

Depth of field is determined by the F setting/aperture opening yes? So a bigger aperture will let in more light and increase depth of field?Not a lot of ambient light but I use the built in flash and a remote flash.

Manual focus is a bit tricky due to the small LCD screen but I'll use my reading glasses next time.

No, the other way about. Think of the pinhole camera - will only work if the pinhole is really small which allows more of the field (think image depth from front to back) to be in focus. Have you tried taking some shots at lights on? I know they have a yellow caste but this can easily (?) be removed with post processing software. Photoshop or the Gimp both have the facility to alter the hue which is all you need. Take a look at my second diary (in my sig) to see some shots taken this way (explained where this has been done in the picture descriptions).

Your camera should have a macro setting (a small flower symbol) - this will help it set the correct focus and settings for the bud shots. Try it in Auto as well, it may work then. It may be that the green CFL is causing some error in the focusing - usually done by infra red - so lights on may work better.

Head up and keep trying, lets get cream of the crop standard photos of the best SCROG in town :yep:

just took some shots and now everything is way overexposed. :unsure:

Gonna eat a sandwich and see if I can adjust the intensity of my flash.

Edited by Randalizer

So this is what I managed to do. It seems a bit better. Still room for improvement methinks. The manual focus is kinda crap though. The screen gives me a blown up center box and it looks so pixilated as to make fine focus seem impossible. So I just got it as best I could and snapped away.

post-31962-1293756887_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293756934_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293756978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

Loads of solid advice already given. The tripod is your biggest friend for this, for the simple reason that a small aperture (i.e. large depth of field) lets in less light and therefore you need to leave the shutter open for longer to get the right exposure....and a long exposure (i.e. > 1/60th) without a tripod = blur/lack of focus. e2a: And your camera will automatically uprate the ISO if light is low and a longer shutter is required, and flash isn't being used.

The easy way is to set your camera to landscape mode (picture of mountains on many camera's menu dial) and put your cam on a tripod. Or go manual as the others have suggested...

GN

Edited by GreenNinja

Heya GN. Very kind of you to stop in and offer some advice! :blub: Here are some shots on landscape mode. They're good but i think they could be better. It's a bit frustrating really.

post-31962-1293759710_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293759752_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293759797_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293759843_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

Just now noticing :) that my pics are distinctly greener now. argh... Due to the green cfl's no doubt. It reminded me that I usually use the child/pets setting for hand held shots, otherwise I use the foliage setting as this seems to give a more natural color to the scene. I'm going to try a few shots on foliage with all the advice given.

be right back. :skin_up:

So this seemed to work well. I discovered a focus postview window. This is on the foliage setting which has little control settings available. Using timer to delay pic after shutter button is pressed.

Head up and keep trying, lets get cream of the crop standard photos of the best SCROG in town :(

You are very kind, thank you. :D I think there are better SCRoG growers here than me (Jiffa comes to mind first and flip has a good SCRoG or two here).

post-31962-1293763148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

cheers, I forgot about that trick. I could even get a ping pong ball and cut it in half to put over my tiny remote flash

I gotta say that I am really liking the pic in post 23. Unless someone here thinks I can do much better, then i will probably stick with those camera settings and options. But will try the tissue to soften the flash.

Randal, it seems I was mistaken regarding the effects of ISO settings on Digital Cameras. I looked on Google and came up with this site which explains it nicely hXXp://www.digital-photography-school.com/iso-settings.

The picture @ post 23 was shot at 1/60th second at f5.3 with the ISO at 250. This could be improved by setting the ISO to 100 (a menu option will allow setting it to 100 rather than Auto) - this is the 'normal' lowest setting and presents the least graininess. What will happen when applied is that the aperture and shutter speeds will change accordingly. Give it a try with the camera set as per 23 but with ISO forced to the lowest available setting (usually 100 but some have lower) and see the difference.

Muting the flash certainly gets rid of excessive 'bleaching' in the highlights so that would help as well.

You are getting there!

Atb.

Bio.

It looks like it is stuck in autoiso for that mode. I can't find any menu option to change it. It looks like I can change iso if in full manual mode.

OK, just got Ms Bio's camera - Canon PowerShot SX120is - Set the camera mode to Av (Aperture priority) and set it to the lowest, also alter the ISO down to 80 (or lowest on yours), use a tripod, set the flash to maximum power as well as using a remote flash and you should get a better picture.

A lot of messing about but once you find a formula that works, write it down for future reference (although you probably will do anyhow :skin_up: )

Bio.

Will do. Meanwhile here are some latest experiments shooting in full manual with the iso lowered. It seemed that the LCD screen looked cleaner as well with the lower iso setting.

So how do you get all that info about my shots anyway? I could just go over my favorite shots and use that data to shoot more consistently the way I would like to.

post-31962-1293771851_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293771896_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293771944_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293771994_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1293772039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer