Camera help needed.

Randalizer

Hi,

I have a Canon Powershot SX 200 IS. It's a 12.1 MPxl, 12 X optic zoom and is basically a really nice small digital camera. Most of my diaries are shot with it.

Anyway, images seem a bit grainier than I think they should be. Perhaps a software (not optic) issue? I recall someone telling one time I should try manual focus? Any help appreciated. Latest pic from my diary the Seven included as an example.

post-31962-1293685465_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randalizer

• Biokid

• ripthedrift

• nyleridedog

Guest 2hi2try

They look ok to me Rand, have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

Ah I see the graininess you're refering to, we call those things trichomes(its where the THC is contained). :ouch:

Edited by 2hi2try

Yes when you zoom in you can see the grainy style. I have a 12 mp samsung as its the same grainyness mate, i would have thought going up in resoloution would have enabled better quality but my 4 mp sony cam is much clearer! maybe its something we are doing in our settings.

Is the camera auto setting a high ASA? That would make it grainy.

The other thing I can think of is the compression level the image has been saved at.

Sorry of these are too obvious.

A high ISO setting can increase grainyness

I had a look at "image noise" on wikipedia but it was beyond my understanding :stoned: . Hopefully may contain the answer :)

Edited by covert

I use the P setting the M setting was to bloody arkward to get me head round, I'd love a decent camera but I'll have to stick with my cybershot for a while longer.

By high ISO setting, we mean shutter speed? Or is that ASA? :stoned: In any case that may well be the issue. I usually have my camera set on the child/pets auto setting (which makes the shutter speed really fast) so as to off set any camera shake from holding my camera. As well, I'm using a crap portable tripod and the camera moves every time (just a bit) I push the shutter release button. I really wanted a camera with an auto trigger for the release but couldn't afford it at the time (or now).

I'm really hoping to get this sorted as I'm growing my best crop ever and really want some quality images from it. :)

Edited by Randalizer

A quick google on that model Rand provided me with this amongst some reviews:

Those who complain that the camera takes bad quality photos or that the pictures look grainy are probably using the Auto mode, which tends to set the ISO very high.

Drop your ISO down to your lowest setting 100 or 200

Use manual focus if you can

take the picture on a tripod which will minimise any shake

set the cam to self timer :stoned:

~I dont think that pic is completely in focus Rand, took me a while to get the hang of focusing on auto, manual focus should work well, its really difficult under a grow lamp so i always took my girls out for a min or two, take a few pics of each image you want (its digi after all so you may as well fill that sd card) and use the best ones, once you get that sorted the graininess should vanish,

good luck and happy snapping,

J :stoned:

eta totally agree with the self timer and tripod, excellent for those macro shots

Edited by Jay1911

manual focus should work well, its really difficult under a grow lamp so i always took my girls out for a min or two, take a few pics of each image you want (its digi after all so you may as well fill that sd card) and use the best ones, once you get that sorted the graininess should vanish,

cheers. I usually take pics under my bright green cfl's during lights out. Can't move my plants as they are in a SCRoG screen. I do take loads of pics and edit out the bad ones.

Looked at you pic earlier Randalizer and from the embedded iformation the ISO was 250, the F stop 5.3 and shutter speed was 1/60th. You also say it is on pet setting which prioritizes shutter speed.

The photo posted is

1. Out of focus

2. Depth of field is low

3. Grainy

The focus issue (and/or some shake) will be cured by the tripod, self-timer and manual focusing

Depth of field will be better with a smaller aperture, more light required (try fill-in flash or a portable Photoflood lamp)

Graininess can be caused by the ISO value on a film camera but has little bearing in digital other than allowing the camera to use a faster shutter speed.

IMO, more light (in the correct spectrum), no shake and better focus will help.

I also read a review of your camera and they do say it can be a let-down in poor light as well as not having a very large F range. Smaller F setting the better the depth of field (ie more will be in focus front to back)

Hope this helps

Bio.