Arnold Layne

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnold Layne

• vince noir rock n roll star

• Tasty

Are those effects you've applied to photographs? They'd look nice on decorative plates.

Underrated is Gimp. We teach the kids how to use it at school, they find the name most amusing. But me being (in their eyes) old and past it, obviously has no idea what they could possibly mean :spliff:.

Yup, I'm just using the one RAW image taken on my DSLR. It was a rather poor photo as photo's go, I simply dumped a vase of roses on my black disc, and took a top-shot, camera firmly held on tripod. No flash, just a slow shutter (<100) to give an image without that glare that flash gives. Now I'm just producing loads of images taken from the one original. This is what I love about digital stuff, the endless possibilities of manipulation! I may get a whole exhibition out of this one original and rather crappy shot ;)

The Gimp is extraordinary! I've used Pro Photoshop loads, and find that with a few minor differneces of dress, Gimp has all the same tools, does all the same tasks and produces the same visual effects. And it handles RAW so much better than I found PS to do.

And I just cannot get my head round the fact that Gimp is free! FFS! Why would anyone want to pay for PS with all this available for nowt? :woot: Enough to give this owd Yorkshireman a heart attack, sithee :eek:

Mind you, I'm just amazed at Linux full stop. Everything, for nothing! Any other system costs a bomb! Any other system is insane!

Nice one Arnie, they look great ;)

Haven't had much chance to play around with Gimp yet but am planning on getting more closely acquainted at some point soon

ahhhhhh I didn't think you cared :D

oh nice buy the way, gimp is very good

an of course is open source to

:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome that. Nice effect going on there. Usually roses are soft and curvy. Those look sharp edged. I like it. At first I thought it was embroidered into leather lol

Nice one.

:spliff: I love roses my gardens full of rose trees..and 10 tattoos of roses on my arms my mates think their poofy but i think there a work of art. lol

• 3 months later...

i glimpsed this earlier and thought it was embroidery ..if thats been done in gimp then nice work arnie ..very impressed

Cheers, Vince :cheers:

It was indeed just done in Gimp. I am still seriously impressed with Gimp. Very simple, yet oh so powerful. Linux rocks! I've just switched to Mint instead of Ubuntu. Loving the stylish and smooth way it works.