New Grow

terminal velocity

here is my setup. its 1.2m tall .6m deep and 1.2m wide. I have a Sunleaves pioneer VIII puting out 32k lumens ( 8 t5 fluorescent tubes @ 4k lumens ea. ) mixed 4 grow tubes and 4 bloom tubes.

currently its a DWC with (2) 10cm airstones, and (2) 15cm fans

anny suggestions or comments welcome this isn't my first grow but I'm still very much a newbie I hope these pics load up so you can see.

post-55912-1276457341_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1276457353_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1276457508_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal velocity

• compostverte

• acidmonkey

• WhoreTeaCulture

ok made a few changes to my system after reading up on some stuff

Now instead of dwc I have a dripper system running off an 85 gallon/hr pond pump made some other changes to keep the light off the water too and on the outside as well Im really new to all this so ANY input/tips from you pros out there are greatly appreciated

post-55912-1276756428_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1276756496_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1276756527_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1276756541_thumb.jpg

post-55912-1276756562_thumb.jpg

no these arent. wanted to grow something not so expensive this first time before I grow the expensive stuff

this last pic is a vent in the top above my light for air to escape

post-55912-1276757028_thumb.jpg

I don't actually rate feminised seeds - less choice.

I was trying to get a handle on which end of the SOG - SCROG spectrum you were at.

A 320 watt linear fluorescent grow - haven't seen one of those for a long time ...

Edited by compostverte

I don't actually rate feminised seeds - less choice.

I was trying to get a handle on which end of the SOG - SCROG spectrum you were at.

A 320 watt linear fluorescent grow - haven't seen one of those for a long time ...

this is probably gonna make me sound stupid but here goes I am attempting to grow in SOG but I dont know what you mean by what side of spectrum I am on can you elaborate ? give me any tips ?

this is probably gonna make me sound stupid but here goes I am attempting to grow in SOG but I dont know what you mean by what side of spectrum I am on can you elaborate ? give me any tips ?

I'm a straight forward one plant per square foot sort of chap myself - never consciously tried SOG, definitely never tried SCROG ...

I simply saw a lot of plants under horizontal linears - presumably because you don't have much headroom. ?

Most people would opt for training of some kind rather than lots of small plants (SOG) that may still want to grow fairly tall.

To make the most of the light, you need to have plants all the way along them throughout the grow, so some sort of not-quite SCROG would seem to be the answer - LST ...

There's still going to be a phase whan you remove the males where the light won't be getting used efficiently for a bit.

To get the most out of linears, you probably need seperate veg and flower spaces and use cuttings.

I'm by no means a 'pro' but you might like my opinion.

To get the most out of linears, you probably need seperate veg and flower spaces and use cuttings.

I'd do this, get yourself more of a perpetual thing going, as soon as they finish flowering get the next lot into flower straight away, no down time.

I'd get a better light as well, T5s aren't really grow lamps. Maybe keep them for vegging and get a 250W HPS for flowering? You might need better cooling with that though.

I'd get a better light as well, T5s aren't really grow lamps. Maybe keep them for vegging and get a 250W HPS for flowering? You might need better cooling with that though.

A 250 watt HPS would piss over the linears for both veg and flowering, and produce significantly less heat. ;)

Edited by compostverte

A 250 watt HPS would piss over the linears for both veg and flowering, and produce significantly less heat. ;)

im not an expert but I dont think thats correct. this sunleaves pioneer VIII produces 32k lumens and runs cool enough to touch after being on for 16 hours. which means I can keep it INCHES away from the top of the plant. no way a 250 watt HPS runs that cool. I have a 150watt HPS and a 175 Metal Halide liight im not using anymore and BOTH of those got hotter than this Pioneer VIII would even dream of so I KNOW a 250 watt light is exponentially hotter. Ive been looking at the numbers and this Pioneer VIII produces lumens comparable to a 600 wat hps or metal halide depending on which bulbs you put in it, grow or bloom.... I dunno tho at the store they seemed to be doing a very good job.

I dunno so far besides some yellowing that I believe is from a problem with nutes my girls seem to be growing fine... these pics are almost two and a half weeks total. thats germination and all.

Sorry but that's all bollocks. :bunny:

Novel to hear it in relation to linears. It was big CFLs that were hyped up for ages, recently it's LEDs.

Horizontal linears are best reserved for seedlings - or lettuce.

I started out growing indoors 15 years ago using 4 foot linears.

I then grew for 5 years or so with a single 250 watt HPS in 4 foot 6 with sod all ventilation.

I take it you've chosen linears because you only have 4 feet of vertical space ?

What are you doing with regards ventilation and a carbon filter ?

Edited by compostverte

Sorry but that's all bollocks. :bunny:

Novel to hear it in relation to linears. It was big CFLs that were hyped up for ages, recently it's LEDs.

Horizontal linears are best reserved for seedlings - or lettuce.

I started out growing indoors 15 years ago using 4 foot linears.

I then grew for 5 years or so with a single 250 watt HPS in 4 foot 6 with sod all ventilation.

I take it you've chosen linears because you only have 4 feet of vertical space ?

What are you doing with regards ventilation and a carbon filter ?

I chose fluros because they run significantly less heat.... no offense man but maybe the fluros you used 15 years ago arent as good as the fluros I use now ? have you ever heard of the Sunleaves Pioneer VIII? I only ask cause I have searched and havent seen one post mentioning it If you compare color spectrums and lumens then how can you say a 250 HPS would piss all over it as far as light and heat ? Im sorry I can put my hand on this light after being on for 16 hours, can you say the same for your HPS ? as far as the filter I have to wait a week for the next paycheck to get it . in the meantime I rigged up a 15cm fan and used some left over duct work from our A/C overhaul and sit that over the A/C vent to bring in air. and at the top of the box above the light is where Im going to vent air out... I just havent bought an extraction fan yet

Edited by terminal velocity

a tube is a tube man no matter what they call it!!

e2a i think compo just meant you get better yield using hps and i agree but wish you all the best :bunny:

Edited by acidmonkey