Hifi Thread

awol420

I will kick this off in here and it can be moved if need be :yep:  as not sure where to stick it.  

Im an old git and been sick for a while ,  i recently had surgery it was a last ditch attempt and was out of options due to covid slowing down the treatment rates i was deemed too far gone to help.    I threw money at it for private in the infamous Harley St and the same outcome. 

I was VERY lucky & fortunate enough to be offered a lifeline by going for an operation by means of a machine in trial status , i signed my ass away and got on the table.

Its been a god send !!!    Im still sick but not in the mess i was in and this all comes from the Great British public donating to cancer charities :notworthy:   

I shall forever be in the debt of people that give to charities !!

Personally i do quite a bit for charities , be it time  / labour  / fund raising ,  mainly Help For Heroes and animal charities.

I want to add Cancer Charities to the group and been racking the single cell on how i could do this and have arrived at doing the same as i currently do.

Im a HUGE petrol head  and attend lots & lots of events a year  as such i would like to keep it within my field of knowledge  ,  i was going to do another car build and have it auctioned off but not being fit enough to tackle it .... so we  ( myself / family  / firends )  have arrived with this idea and have commenced with putting it into reality.    

This project will all be self funded by myself  and i have purchased everything needed to complete it , im chasing a few local companies to see if they can assist with a helping hand.

I have a spare large van now redundant from not racing , was my load lugger / reccy van and will now be the victim for this project ,  now im an old git and historically the beloved Ford Transit van ALWAYS has & ALWAYS will be lovingly referred a Tranny van !    I mean no offence nor is my intentions to upset anyone so please if you are easily offended or dont want to see Tranny van being mentioned , its time to leave as i know it will be repeated albeit unintentionally.

So take 1 transit van and fill it with lots of audio goodies i have laying about ,  im looking at making full use of the internal space all dedicated to the audio enclosure and carry on doing the shows i normally attend and use the audio to draw people in and hopefully drop something in the charity buckets.

The build will be BIG and there will also be the addition of a set of decks  / mixer / inputs ,  so budding DJ's can do a live set ... if they drop a donation in the bucket :yep:     

Some of the larger shows pull in 000's of punters so you will be playing out to quite a few peeps.  

The van , like another vehicle i do similar with ,  will be going to various places & events and as such i cant go all out for a nutty ganja vinyl wrap for shits n giggles as it will  also be at polite and family orientated events  ,  however there will be some events where i can slap some graphics & signage on and as such @SeedStockers-Mark was VERY generous and the SeedStockers livery will be on show at events when we can ,   i will get pics up of the wonderful SeedStockers items Mark very kindly supplied.  

Other breeders proudly sponsor and help on here :yep:   

The SeedStockers  &  Marks input came about as the man was simply checking up & enquiring as to my health late last year and we got chatting about various things and hence the outcome ,  Thank You  kindly sir :george:       

I am hoping to do the full build log on here , from the strip ot to the last screw going in .... if possible.

At present this is how we stand   -  i have measured up the rear of the van and ordered  LOTS  of  40mm x  20mm  3mm wall steel box section that will be seam welded up  form the framework for the bass enclosure as timber alone will split & break with the kit we are fitting.

I will leave it here and try get pics of the kit going in , the chosen design for the bass end and how we get around the headaches of not having a lot of room left for the mid speakers lol  

More soon   

Edited by OldFord
more info
  • Like 4

Sounds like a great plan @OldFord

Can't wait to see the build :D

I'd love to meet up with you and play some tunes, 

but I can't make any guarantees. 

Good luck with your own health as well as the project and the fundraising. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

Sounds like a great plan @OldFord

Can't wait to see the build :D

I'd love to meet up with you and play some tunes, 

but I can't make any guarantees. 

Good luck with your own health as well as the project and the fundraising. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

Cheers mate ,  i have drafted in some rather talented guys so i can sit back more ,  will get done what i can but the guys will be the labour on this one.

Plans are all done so its more fabrication & installing , not really fit enough hence the guys helping. 

I got a long way to go so the helps welcome ,  a fam member will be carrying on with the other vehicle so it should pan out lol    He says lol   

More than welcome to get on the 1's & 2's mate :yep:     Will be a rather potent music system as opposed to a balls out bass monster. 

• Like 3

@OldFord Looking foward to seeing your project, do you have any expirience with Ripole subwoofers ? Thinking of building a pair for my stereo, but don't want huge cabinets, and these seem to fit the bill, but there's not a huge amount of information out there on them, they seem to be a variation on Dipole subs ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update .....   my guys have been busy , lots going on with various race  formats seasons commencing but we have had progress on the charity sound system van :george:

I now have 3 x 280 amp alternators all hung with the idlers / pulley system all sorted  ,  numerous cable runs of 70mm  tri rated welding cable and the 4 lithium banks are being framed & cooling fans bolted up to aid with the cooling.

Next job is to get the entire inside of the tranny van all sound deadened to stop the annoying panel vibrations ,   then the steel box section cage will be fitted up.

The steel cage is 50 x 25 x 3mm wall cds box section ,  the wider 50mm face will be the mating face to the 1" baltic marine ply sheet forming the sub enclosure frame  , 

fuck me the price of sheet wood has jumped !!!    I thought the dude was taking the piss when i got the bill  :wallbash:     

The low / mid / high enclosures are currently being laser cut ,  the motors to lift & fold the  low /mid / high enclosures have been ordered. 

Hopefully i can get some pics up in the next 2 wks :yep:         

Now all  the main audio kits been selected and sent out for service i can get a list up of exactly whats going in as soon as i get it back and i know its ready to fit.   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I mhad my brother come over to help me today and he brought me really ad news  :wallbash:

The old tranny van has some very severe rot in the chassis legs & chassis  ,  i aint seen it yet but he says it bad !     They found it whilst adding some structural sections to cope with the vibrations of the bass line ,  i now need to wait til im fit enough to get under her and see how bad it is.

No shame to her , shes an old girl , towed our race cars all over europe for years , done countless rally courses as a reccy vehicle  , carried spares  , shes been faultless , however the punishment from the bass line may well just shake her apart terminally !      So im searching for another as we speak via friends just in case !

Basically the structural strengthening & steel box section aint cheap , the welding time and making her pretty again after the work as paints not cheap either , so im kind of in 2 minds what to do , shes due an mot in October , yes i can get a ticket without seeing an mot station :wassnnme:   BUT its not just me that will drive her and will all that extra weight & expensive equipment im reluctant to carry on with her.   A few wks and i can get under her and see how bad it is , even if i can squeeze a year out of her safely im game.   We shall see,  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Tranny van is sadly going to the great big parts breaker in the sky lol       

The front chassis leg and other areas isnt great ,  it could be saved but with the work & time needed she can finally rust in peace :yep:

Shes served me faithfully for 170k  , towing  , carrying ,  even rally course reccy runs lol        Shes seen her last day on the road.

A real shame as the engine is awesome / ultra reliable and still rather sprightly due to some mods :naughty: ,  we buy any shite offered me £650 and i just sold the engine & gearbox for 1k  ,  the local  scrap man can have the rest when the running gears pulled this wknd. 

So i need to find a new van for the audio project !     Hopefully get something in the next few days :george:      

• Like 3

Just been reading about your project @OldFord, sounds like an awesome idea! Real shame the old tranny can't make the cut - but I'm sure you'll find something else suitable and get the wheels moving again. I've always liked the VW conversions, where the whole top opens up, and bosh - DJ booth! Very cool.

• Like 2

So i need to find a new van for the audio project

Cant help with the van,but do have a suggestion for the paint job

large_fcv2.jpg.253f6e5e79dcecf92d22b903f

• Like 5

Just now, Themadhippy said:

Cant help with the van,but do have a suggestion for the paint job

large_fcv2.jpg.253f6e5e79dcecf92d22b903f

:wub: :yep:   A vinyl wrap was on my list of external coatings,   looked a a Tough Cab coating as well lol      

Having a spray booth it will most likely be a combo  ,   the back doors will be a Help For Heroes theme and Cancer Research :yep:

Still trying to get around the extra room for the mids ,   prob i have is the tapped horn i huuuuge  , yes it steel framed but leaves little to no room for anything else lol  

Also we played with cut off's & x over points -  got more processing power than Nasa !   but i still need to cut the 21's hard ast 27hz  :wallbash:   

Main reason being anything lower and the energy is just lost !!   Its a huge horn sitting atop .... four rubber tyres lol      The entire van & enclosure moves ... literally on a side on incline the van would shuffle itself across.   So im resigned to the 27hz cut.     Ok for the static guys that offload and strap down onto the ground but in a van its not so easy even with copious amounts of 50 x 25 x 3mm wall steel box section.    He me previously saying 20hz was pissing in the wind lol   

The new van will be LWB to get around the space issues , even if it need to hydraulic ram mount them to come up & out the roof ... everything must fit inside.

So its prob a good thing the short wheel base tranny died.    

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OldFord said:

got more processing power than Nasa

Get yerself some dolby lakes,not the lab gruppen  version,the original with 4 in 12 outs . Around £2k-£3k might get you a second hand one.

• Like 2

Just now, Themadhippy said:

Get yerself some dolby lakes,not the lab gruppen  version,the original with 4 in 12 outs . Around £2k-£3k might get you a second hand one.

I got way more processing power than i need mate ,   i even got some XTA's in storage  , and will be using some rare & old skool kit from Mr Bob Carver as i need to be staying 12v  , cant be arsed with trying to feed via inverters although there are some good units around and not everywhere we go like some of the rally stages i can get mains feeds.   

My amp current draw would prob put me into 16a feeds if i went with my pa amps ,  i can use lithium - already have them ,  and play balls out all day & night.

Basically im using up kit we have laying about  as theres so much of it mate

• Like 2