Recommended Spyware/adware/anti-virus Software

mickle

• 1 month later...

For anyone using p2p I've found Peerblocker from phoenixlabs to be excellent. I was using Peerguardian2, also from phoenixlabs, but it stopped updating and i got sick of reinstalling it everytime.

When using either, i allow html as many sites dont work if you block it.

When running it, check out who its blocking......scarey stuff. Lots of media lawyers, national defence organisations and some really weird ones too. The Libyan Oil Ministry being one that springs to mind.

JSM

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread. Quick question:

Anyone know much about antivirus software and macs? I've just installed ClamXav on the new lappy, but I was thinking about using Virusbarrier instead. Any recommendations on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Virusbarrier review

ClamXav review

• 2 months later...

Weirdly enough, ClamAV is more for Mac/Linux machines that act as servers for Wind0ze emails and attachments &c. so that they can detect any infections &c. when they're processing them. ;)

There's not really much in the way of viruses and malware for OSX and Linux outside of experimental concept stuff. :)

lol

• 5 months later...

An .exe is a program or driver, so perhaps AVG doesn't delete such things. An svchost is some kind of Windows operation process , part of the normal running of the system. sure your AGisn't just giving some kind of false positive, it's not just mistaken identity?

how do i get rid of svchost.exe file , says its a trojan in my avg but isnt healing it ?

You need to repair or clean it not delete it. svchost is a MS prog used to communicate eg internet.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've tried just about every a/v, internet protection program over the years. Norton, AVG, Avast, McAfee yaddayadda... Best by far is Kaspersky Internet protection and Pure, you can get free 30 day trials too! Norton and McAfee are just awful, they miss important stuff and provide lots of false positives.

I was a long time p2p user, torrents among others. Best p2p advice I could give is only use private trackers with registered uploaders and an accountable userbase. Stay off public trackers altogether, your just asking for trouble. Or perhaps get a NG account with ssl :)

Edited by spangler

• 1 year later...

Kaspersky is the best I've ever used. I hated Norton, it just blocked everything, but Kaspersky has better logic in determining actual threats. You can get the full version for free too if you sign up for internet banking through barclays

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just noticed this thread. Quick question:

Anyone know much about antivirus software and macs? I've just installed ClamXav on the new lappy, but I was thinking about using Virusbarrier instead. Any recommendations on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Virusbarrier review

ClamXav review

I don't use any av on my macs, but for additional security I highly recommend little snitch and tcp block. And little snitch comes with a nice little network monitor thats very handy, the only difference with the paid version and the free version is the free version stops the network monitor after 3hours but you only have to go into its config and start it up again it's very good I wouldn't run a mac without it. Tcpblock is just free no paid version that I'm aware of. I'd also recommend the following addons for firefox - adblockplus ( blocks all ads ), better privacy ( advanced cookie manager )and no script which is great as it blocks all scripts apart from the ones you choose to allow and you'll be surprised by what scripts run.

:yinyang:

• Like 1