Potting On?

someonelikeyou

either that or they dont read the thread properly

:stoned: that be me, got to let the caffeine kick in for at leat an hour before I start to post

Sorry fellas :yinyang:

Thanx for all the thoughts people!!! As I discovered almost 5 years ago this sight is a real pleasure!!! As far as veg time goes i'll be waiting until I can't poke my finger into the Coco before I start flowering. I will try to get hold of a camera to post some pictures of my project. Am leaving the family behind here in France to go and do this so fingers crossed it's a success!!! Peace and thanx again, Someonelikeyou.

Guest papaduc
How long are you vegging for? Growing in coco doesn't really require huge containers probably only about 11ltr at most. Remember coco isn't compost.

peace

mello

I doubt very much that coco does not have the upper limits of what it can produce limited by the size of pot it's in. There is no such thing as how much a plant needs `at most` in my opinion. If the lad wants to grow a single massive plant under a 600w bulb and veg for weeks, he'll have a better return using a bigger pot than a smaller one. All applications vary. It's all about what suits.

But I know what you mean also. coco can be fed/watered every day, twice every day when they start drinking. In that respect, smaller pots are needed to get the same results.

Edited by papaduc

Guest papaduc

Someonelikeyou,

What do you mean by `when you can't poke your finger into the coco` ?

Also, you don't need to go into 20ltr pots if you're putting four under each bulb. 11L, maybe 15ltr should do. That's 80-160ltrs of coco you don't need to use. You're using two grows worth of coco on one, unnecessarily.

If you want to put them in planters, do less and veg longer. If you're doing that many, go with smaller pots. Quicker and much more efficient.

Hey Papa, I have grown before in 20ltr pots (a few years ago now) and I would wait until the Root Ball had fully filled the pot to the extent that I could hardly push my finger into the coco before switching to 12/12. I know what your saying about the smaller pots but I have 4x600w cool tubes and 2x400w standard shades if necessary, plus quit a big area 3x4m approx so I think for this setup 20ltr pots should work o.k. The longer veggie time should pay off in yield I hope!!! Someonelokeyou.

Guest papaduc

Point I'm making is: There's no point.

If you measure things by the gram per watt scale, then what you would be hoping for is around 20oz per 600w light.

There's no way around it. the light can only produce so much. Bigger pots won't help you at all in this set up. You're looking for 5oz per plant. In my opinion, 20ltrs is more than you need. The extra veg time will only hold you back. You'll essentially be vegging for twice as long, only to get a similar yield to someone using 11L pots. You will see no increase in yield just because of bigger pots.

Either do 2x20l pots under each 600 and give them plenty of veg. Or do four and let them fill an 11-15L pot instead.

• 4 weeks later...
I doubt very much that coco does not have the upper limits of what it can produce limited by the size of pot it's in. There is no such thing as how much a plant needs `at most` in my opinion. If the lad wants to grow a single massive plant under a 600w bulb and veg for weeks, he'll have a better return using a bigger pot than a smaller one. All applications vary. It's all about what suits.

But I know what you mean also. coco can be fed/watered every day, twice every day when they start drinking. In that respect, smaller pots are needed to get the same results.

I know what you mean. I think your last post was kinda making the point I was intending to make. Huge pots are a waste with coco imo, you could use 20ltr or even more I just don't think there is much point unless I supose you were growing really big plants outdoors. I also think shorter more frequent waterings suits coco better.

peace

mello

In my inexperienced begginnings I potted into 20l too quick and it was a waste of coco ,nutes ,room and in pots I never used again. the roots didn't penetrate and side by side the ones in10l did better.

May be it would have been better if I had left them to root a little longer.

If there was real advantage to 20l or larger pots,the makers of autopot and others would offer kits for that size.most of them seem to go up to 15l. must be a reasson. I agree that if you are going to have 1 plant under a 600 then a big well rooted plant be the option.

I'm a fan of staged re potting. for logistic reassons I some times shake off and reuse the coco and you can appreciate the different root growth stages and the innermost are ultra dense which means more of the final ,longest shoots.

I also think shorter more frequent waterings suits coco better.

lol Don't know about shorter, but frequently - hell yeah - esp. in the fattening up weeks around 5-6. Some phenos will go ballistic...the hungry ones get fat lol

GN

ive always grew in coco and ived tried several ways in growing i.e potting up and just putting rooted cuttings straight into 11ltr pots and i ALWAYS hit 2-2.5 oz per plant dry weight providing you got good light and good air your do well

So I'm up and running now. 7ish weeks of vegging and 1 week into flowering. 13 22ltr pots and 2 15ltr pots to make a comparison. At the moment they are all around the same size and roots have packed out the pots nicely. I still reckon the bigger pots will produce bigger buds but we'll see!!! Will post some pics soon. Peace, Someonelikeyou.