Potting On?

someonelikeyou

Hello People, I have some 2/3 week old plants nicely rooted in 2ltr pots with coco. I was planning to Pot On to 5 ltr pots and then to the final 20ltr pots. My mates are telling me that this is not necessary and I should go straight into the 20ltr pots. What do you think? Thanks for looking. Someonelikeyou,

Why 20litre, what you growing, a tree? :guitar:

11litre is sufficient, but I would still pot up in stages anyway, as it helps build a more solid root system. There's nothing stopping you potting up to final pots straight from the cutting/seed, but at the end of the day, why waste all that unused medium that won't have root's in for weeks/months, and often, never at all.

Having done both, I can say from my experience it's better to do it in stages, than to charge like a bull at a gate into the final pots.

Ha Ha, Yes trees I hope!!! It's been a while since I grew but I always found big pots=big root ball=big buds. Am trying to max out on yield to be honest, I have "inherited" a nice grow room, 3m/4m so for once I don't have to worry how big the plants get. Potting on is ON!!! Thanks for the reply. Someonelikeyou.

Fair play then mate. You must post some piccies of these 'Beasties' when they are flowering. Are you going to be super cropping a few ladies, or just trying to fill the room with as many pots as will fit?

I'm planning on 16 plants as I have 4x600w lamps. just going to let them do their own thing, no special cropping or topping. Should have some room left for a sun-chair!! Cheers, Someonelikeyou.

Hello People, I have some 2/3 week old plants nicely rooted in 2ltr pots with coco. I was planning to Pot On to 5 ltr pots and then to the final 20ltr pots. My mates are telling me that this is not necessary and I should go straight into the 20ltr pots. What do you think? Thanks for looking. Someonelikeyou,

go straight into your 20lt pots m8 longer veg bigger buds if you have the light m8

You newb's need to learn how to navigate the site before spouting incorrect information

Just a snippet from one of OT1's posts..

"A plant needs to build as large a rootmass as possible from an early stage, this gives sturdy plants full of vitality, this is why when growing in compost we recommend starting in small pots and as soon as the compost is full of roots pot on to a larger pot. By doing this in stages until you reach the final pot size you maximise the root mass for any given final pot size. You get many times the root mass you would if you planted a small cutting/seedling in a final pot. Once the plant goes into flowering mode it uses the roots it made to build the parts needed to reproduce its self, if the roots are inadequate for the job the plant will sacrifice parts of its self to make the reproductive parts.

Out of interest another problem with planting small plants in final pots, is the plants roots only occupy a tiny portion of the compost, so the unoccupied part tends to become anaerobic inhibiting new growth and encouraging the multiplication of pathogenic fungi and bacteria, the larger the pot the worse the problem.

In the early days of cannabis growing indoors stoners tended to try and grow like this as its easy and its what you would do if you were planting outdoors in soil, well as we have said compost is not soil, its a medium that is made to act in place of soil in an enclosed container. The early books on cannabis growing answered the problem by advising that the compost was mixed half and half with perlite, rather than the practice of potting as used by the horticultural industry world wide. So the myth still abounds today in the cannabis world today, that cannabis needs loads of drainage. Its not true."

Rj

ive read a few posts where people don't think its important to pot up in coco , i havent done side by side tests so can't say for sure but i always do it. rootball aside why would you want massive pots taking up space that then need more lights on to cover the area when you could have all your cuts in small pots under 1 light

go straight into your 20lt pots m8 longer veg bigger buds if you have the light m8

Terrible advice, I'm afraid.

gentle potting up, by increments, is the best way to obtain a big healthy root-ball. And as the OP knows (rightly), Roots = Fruits (buds, in this case).

I would go up gently. 2L, 5L, 11L, 20L at the very least. Possible even a few more steps. Its what encourages healthy roots. If you jump straight to 20L you may well get nowt but lazy roots that never truly penetrate the coco, and sour coco (unless coco never goes sour, which I doubt).

Guest papaduc
You newb's need to learn how to navigate the site before spouting incorrect information

Just a snippet from one of OT1's posts..

"A plant needs to build as large a rootmass as possible from an early stage, this gives sturdy plants full of vitality, this is why when growing in compost we recommend starting in small pots and as soon as the compost is full of roots pot on to a larger pot. By doing this in stages until you reach the final pot size you maximise the root mass for any given final pot size. You get many times the root mass you would if you planted a small cutting/seedling in a final pot. Once the plant goes into flowering mode it uses the roots it made to build the parts needed to reproduce its self, if the roots are inadequate for the job the plant will sacrifice parts of its self to make the reproductive parts.

Out of interest another problem with planting small plants in final pots, is the plants roots only occupy a tiny portion of the compost, so the unoccupied part tends to become anaerobic inhibiting new growth and encouraging the multiplication of pathogenic fungi and bacteria, the larger the pot the worse the problem.

In the early days of cannabis growing indoors stoners tended to try and grow like this as its easy and its what you would do if you were planting outdoors in soil, well as we have said compost is not soil, its a medium that is made to act in place of soil in an enclosed container. The early books on cannabis growing answered the problem by advising that the compost was mixed half and half with perlite, rather than the practice of potting as used by the horticultural industry world wide. So the myth still abounds today in the cannabis world today, that cannabis needs loads of drainage. Its not true."

Rj

That info is for compost.

Guest papaduc

Terrible advice, I'm afraid.

gentle potting up, by increments, is the best way to obtain a big healthy root-ball. And as the OP knows (rightly), Roots = Fruits (buds, in this case).

I would go up gently. 2L, 5L, 11L, 20L at the very least. Possible even a few more steps. Its what encourages healthy roots. If you jump straight to 20L you may well get nowt but lazy roots that never truly penetrate the coco, and sour coco (unless coco never goes sour, which I doubt).

Disagree. I think adding a few more steps to that would be overkill in coco. There is no need. If your plant has a healthy 5 ltr rootball, then going into a 20ltr pot really shouldn't be a problem. You don't face anywhere near the same risks in coco as you do in compost.

However, one thing which is very seldom taken into account in these potting up discussions is the amount of light you're vegging under.

To use an extreme example, Potting into a big bucket of coco and running an envirolight, coco or not, I imagine would be asking for trouble and pointless. vegging under a 600w light 20-24 hours or more a day, and filling a big pot of coco in a few weeks should be no problem, eliminating the risk you're talking about.

Providing they are well rooted then 1-5-20 should be fine, just be aware of over watering when you pot on to the 20ltr for the first week

Its OK mate i think some folk cant get their head round coco not being compost, either that or they dont read the thread properly :unsure:

Owd

How long are you vegging for? Growing in coco doesn't really require huge containers probably only about 11ltr at most. Remember coco isn't compost.

peace

mello