Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

Just a quick question to coco growers on transplanting. My babies are in 10cm (4 inch) pots for about 2 wks now from seed. They are planted in coco with about a half inch of clay pebbles at the bottom- the same system I'm going to use when transplanting.

Anyway tonight I turned one upside down to check for roots and there are healthy white roots coming down around the pebbles at the bottom but none at the sides of the pot. Too early to tranplant? Also seedling is about 2.5 inches high and has just one set of true leaves with another just beginning on top of them. It only has one node so far. Is there a general rule of thumb- ie should I wait for a second node to develop more before transplanting or should I go ahead now as the roots are out growing the bottom of the pot.

The reason I ask is because Im pretty sure growth has slowed down over the last 2 days which I suppose is an indication that the need transplanting but as a first time grower I wouldn't mind some assurance from someone with experience before undertaking transplantin.

Thanks ;)

Morning Ratm,

Abit to soon Id say fella,you say the roots are just showing at the bottom of your pots and none around the sides,wait a wee while yet till they spin around all the coco,it wont be long now,just keep checking every 5/7 days.

Goodluck.

p&q

eta: Something along the lines of this pic.

post-40463-1262762334.jpg

Edited by p&q

Morning Ratm,

Abit to soon Id say fella,you say the roots are just showing at the bottom of your pots and none around the sides,wait a wee while yet till they spin around all the coco,it wont be long now,just keep checking every 5/7 days.

Goodluck.

p&q

Nice one p&q, thanks for the advice. I had seen lots of those rootball pics in the Bible and other research I've done but just wasn't 100% sure whether or not to wait. As I said I reckon growth has slowed down in the pots they are in so thats what got me thinking about transplanting. I'll wait another 4-5 days and check them again for a more fuller rootball before going for the big heave.

morning p&q, happynewyear mate.

im 8 days into flower now with the coco, gonna give em a trim today, the growth is amazing though i am finding some of the branches are quite bendy and pliable with all the water they are taking up, they dont half like a drink in fact im finding that at the mo once every two days isnt quite enough. Also next time im gonna have only 9 plants in 9L pots. This time ive got about 15 or 16 in there in 6.5 L pots and its becomming a bit of a nightmare moving them for giving them a watering and checking for run off.

Amazing growth though with a very notable quick flowering response to 12/12 lighting.

good fun....

Morning Ratm,

Goodluck.

p&q

Nice one p&q, thanks for the advice. I had seen lots of those rootball pics in the Bible and other research I've done but just wasn't 100% sure whether or not to wait. As I said I reckon growth has slowed down in the pots they are in so thats what got me thinking about transplanting. I'll wait another 4-5 days and check them again for a more fuller rootball before going for the big heave.

Nps mate,

To be honest I think you could possibly pot up just now & just veg them abit longer in your final pots,outta interest how big are your final pots? any chance of a picture mate one of the roots & plant/s would be welcome,if possible,Im new to this coco lark aswell learning something new every day.

Savage,

How you doing fella? Have a nice festive season? All the best for 2010 fella.. :wink:

Trimming lol

Dont get me started on that,its a mare mate,know how you feel,they go wild eh!

Have you topped the? I topped 13 last time with a months veg (clones) and it was like a bloody jungle,even after the trim up too two weeks bloom I was still trimming at week 4..bad I know but I had too do it ,they turned out fine tho,no stress.

This time I thought Id have less plants (5) clones again & put them in 11 litre pots to finish after about 5 weeks veg all be it under a 125 wt enviro to start,last two weeks were under the 600,and same again BANG big green lush plants,gotta love the coco mate,

How about doing what Gn suggests at wattering & bring one out place it above a bucket with a grid on top water till runoff that goes into the bucket,put it back and bring another out,to be honest thats why I tried a grow with no runoff it was a pain in the arse at watering.

Im sure youll cope fella lol

Atb.

p&q

Watering is a little more effort in COCO than it was in my dripper set up, but it is nice to go and say hello every day :wink:

The way I found was easiest, as I am in scrog taking them out is not an option, so I upped the amount of water every day until I had run of. I then lowered it very slightly, I now have no run of, and I up the feed by 250ml every week until I see run of - not each plant drinks very slightly different amounts, but its saves a lot of messing around, taking them out etc...

8 ladies in 6.5 ltr pots and watering varies from 1100ml per day to 1450 per day. Yesterday was first day of flower so this will pick up rapidly over the coming weeks

Only real comment is - COCO is so bloody easy, no idea why I did not use it before

Just a quick photo of my first COCO scrog

Z

post-44200-1262773614_thumb.jpg

Edited by zaaboot

hi p&q,

i havnt topped them at all, ive been supercropping like crazy, they seem to love it and it has really helped to control the height, im growing a supersilverhaze clone and it dont half stretch some, but it loves the supercropping while in coco.

im looking forward to trimming em tonight as maybe then i can reach in easier to water them as it is a bit risky for me getting them out all the time, also so far i have found that even in veg the plants are much smellier growing in the coco than in the compost i was using before.

Ive got the 6.5L square pots stood on upside down smaller round plantpots so they dont end up sitting in the runoff in the drip trays, as earlier in veg i found out that they hate that.. ;) also its easier for me to watch for a little run off as im watering them as it runs down the upturned pots they are stood on into the drip tray. Thinking of standing them on tiles now to save a little height, ive only been watering untill i see a small amount of runoff as its a real pain to collect it out of the drip trays without getting everything out of the grow space.. thinking of buying a turkey baster for that job... :wink:

I like the sound of only 5 plants in 11L pots, that might suit me better as i really want as few plants as i can get away with without compromising on the yield.

all the best :(

Edited by Savage

Guest hantshaze

Hello fella's.

Just got a couple of question for you, if you dont mind.

I'm gonna be doing a coco grow in autopots and was thinking do I need to prepair the clay pebble's that go in the in the bottom of pots before I use them & how if I do.

And do you guys sort of leave you water over night or can I use it strait from the taps, as I do in organic growing?

Hantshaze..........

Hello fella's.

Just got a couple of question for you, if you dont mind.

I'm gonna be doing a coco grow in autopots and was thinking do I need to prepair the clay pebble's that go in the in the bottom of pots before I use them & how if I do.

And do you guys sort of leave you water over night or can I use it strait from the taps, as I do in organic growing?

Hantshaze..........

howdy Hants - hope your well!

Clay pebbles. I cleaned mine first. If you have a full bag which I did as I was going pebbles then changed my mind - I pierced a few holes in the bottom, and a hole at the top big enough for the bath tap, then ran water through the ages until the water came through clear. The I shook it all about and did it again, repeat until there is no dust or crap left on them. That is what I do, no need for anything else. Alternatively, if you are just doing a few, I put the right amount in to a colander and put under the taps until clean of dust and stuff.

I tend to make up 30 litres at a time, so it is left overnight, not for any reason other than 30 litres lasts me about 3 days max.

In the small tent I run, as it is only small I fill the res straight from the tap add nutes directly.

Hello Hants,

In the one time using the clay pebbles all I done was pierce a few holes in the bottom of the bag & put it into the bath under a cold shower head..colds faster than the hot,& once the red dye has gone they were ready.

I leave my water to stand/bubble over night,but theres been a few times Ive forgot & just used a mix of hot/cold straight from the tap with no problems.

p&q

Eta: that Z can sure type fast :spliff:

Edited by p&q

Guest hantshaze

Thanks Zaaboot & P&Q.

I think I'll have to do the water stood for 24 hours thing!

I say that coz if I leave water to stand the ph rise's and that could course probs yeah?????? Or no????????

Dont piss ya selves but what is a bubbler?????

Cheers for your help fella.s

hantshaze..........

Guest hantshaze
My ph does rise yeah..not a problem tho I just add about a ml of ph down & ajust it to 5.8.

p&q

Cheers p&q lol

so as long as I check ph daily it would be of strait from the taps.

lol:) and a bubbler is??????? well it must bubble the water but what is it?????? do you need too plug it in????n

Allso should I get a resivour heater??????

Hantshaze...........

lol:)

Sorry wrong bubbler! lol

Just a ittle air pump mate to help move things around in your res/tank also stops nutrients from settling at the bottom.

I dont usea heater..room temps work fine,just make sure it aint freezing this can shock them.

p&q

Edited by p&q

Guest hantshaze
:yes:lol

Sorry wrong bubbler! :rofl:

Just a ittle air pump mate to help move things around in your res/tank also stops nutrients from settling at the bottom.

I dont usea heater..room temps work fine,just make sure it aint freezing this can shock them.

p&q

lol lol lol

sorry p&q

Air pump :rofl: ??????????? Does that what ever it is need plugging in and do you get them from hydro stores???????

Hantshaze.........