Planning On Growing Some Misty Outdoors

moj

I've got a pack of Nirvana Misty seeds, that I wanna use for guerilla grow this spring. I'm intending to start them in a greenhouse and transplant them to their grow site once they're about a 0.5 - 1 foot tall, can anyone please tell me when the best time would be to germ the seeds? I thought that starting them in a greenhouse would mean I'd be able to start them earlier than if I put them staright outside, would I be right in thinking this'll result in more buds? I'll be able to heat the greenhouse to with a propane heater or something similar, so that won't be a problem.

Any input appreciated :blub:

moj Its pretty simple. The cannabis we mainly grow, is light dependent for its flowering.

They go into flowering mode as the dark hrs rise above a certain point, its called a trigger point. Its the amount dark per 24hr cycle. Once the trigger point is past the plant changes over about 3 + week period from growing to flowering.

A strain that is selected for outdoors, starts to trigger as the dark rises above the 9 hr mark ie 15 hrs light. If a 7 week flowerer it will finish end of sep early oct.

The plant also responds to the amount of change per day so its a totally static thing.

Sativa vars like haze don’t start to trigger until the dark period reaches round the 11 hr + point so as a 11/12 week + flowering var it would not finish until Dec/Jan time.

The finish time of any plant remains the the same when ever it was sowed as long as it is an adult at the time the natural light hrs reach its flowering trigger point. So at the harvest time the only difference between a plant sowed mid June and a plant sowed in February and grow under 24/7 light until the natural light was above its trigger point and rising will be the size of finished plant.

Plants germinated under natural light hrs tend to stall if the dark period is above 11 hrs. Once the dark drops below 11 hrs at a rate 4+ minutes a day the infant plant genes recognise it is spring and the plant goes into rapid growth. So although it varies depending on your plants genes, so mid March to early April is a good time to germinate. I have seen plants germinated in the last week in march 15 ft tall and 10 ft across with a stem over 2 inches thick when cropped early October in a London garden.

My personal opinion is that if you want to start plants earlier than that it is better to germinate and grow under continuous light until the natural light is approaching 15 hrs a day before planting out ie. If done properly these could make massive plants.

The exception to this is if the genetics you use have ruderalis in like Stuporsonic where a percentage of plants flower on age and are not light dependent. With these early germinated plants can flower mid summer.

• Like 14

Brilliant, thanks for the detailed reply, ot1. There's alot more to this than I originally thought! ;)

I want a plant like the one you described! :yinyang: tho I'd be well chuffed with one half that size. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to keep them under 24/7 for any longer than a couple of weeks, I've just about managed to find room for my mums from my indoor grow, so I'd have to squeeze the Mistys in with those. I'm thinking 3 weeks from germ under 24/7 (don't think they'll last any longer in the large plastic cups I use), then move to the greenhouse in the first week of April, then outside first week of May. Hopefully the last frost would've been and gone by then and they won't have gotten too tall. I really don't wanna have them any taller then say 1.5ft (ideally 1ft) in the greenhouse since the neighbours are bit nosey and not the kind that'd probably approve of these sort of activities lol Also they'd be just too hard to transport to my grow site without me being compromised.

What'd ya reckon?

Edited by moj

OK Woody, I shall explain it to you lol

The plants grow much faster and better in the early stages if you start them off indoors, during the winter months, under an envirolight or something. Then, around May, you plant them outdoors, once the frosts have stopped (plant seeds in Feb and the frost will kill them). That way, rather than having slow growing or non growing plants by May, you have big healthy ones that you can transplant outdoors, and which should then go mad :)

• Like 2

would the seedlings be ok under Fluros?

OK Woody - I gotta ask mate - are you taking the piss or having a laugh with us?

Have you actually read ANY of the posts on these boards?

I only ask, cos for someone who spends a fair bit of time here, you seem to be a bit vague on a fair few issues.

Maybe time to cut down a bit mate lol I think your memory may be deteriorating somewhat :smoke: Nothing seems to be staying in :)

And yeah, your seedings would be fine under flouro's. Just keep em in a propagator until you have about 4 sets of leaves showing :)

and yes, they would also be ok under envirolights as well

but not an HPS

• Like 1

Plants germinated under natural light hrs tend to stall if the dark period is above 11 hrs. Once the dark drops below 11 hrs at a rate 4+ minutes a day the infant plant genes recognise it is spring and the plant goes into rapid growth.

The Tide Table Book!

That'll show you exactly when the hours of daylight and darkness reach the optimum time to transfer plants to the greenhouse.

There is a free tide-prediction download out there somewhere called WXTIDE but it doesn't include the UK because our own very special government has refused to let anyone else use it's tide-prediction data.

Anyways, this year the darkness falls below the 11 hour mark on the 31st March.

P.s.

It took two of us an hour to write this post. Both shit-faced on something called Durban. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm quite a bit further north of london, will i be getting less hours of light a day? will this mean the plants start to flower earlier?! :bush:

Shorty the further you go from the equator you get longer light hrs mid summer and shorter light hrs in mid winter.

So the nearer the equator you get the earlier the plants will start flowering and the nearer the artic circle the longer the growing period..

• Like 2

bit late ;)

ot1 - where could i find out about the times of sun rise and set for latitude 57 deg?

ub - nope i haven't seen them recently, there were some amazing ones quite recently. they are the trippiest things i've ever seen lol

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Found this thread completely by accident, in the search for a good outdoor growing book to send to a mates dad who wants to grow in Ireland. (Suggestions ne1?)

Anyway, I'm at uni in Edinburgh, and was wondering if it's possible to see the Northern Lights from here? Or do I need to go further north?

Also, would like to second Shorty's question about light hours at set latitudes. Is there somewhere I can find this data, or perhaps I'm going to have to work it out myself :yinyang:

Cheers guys.

BTW- Good thread, nice and informative. Esp ot's list of daylight times.

Edited for crap spelling. And I haven't smoked in a week.

Edited by Wh1te
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
moj Its pretty simple. The cannabis we mainly grow, is light dependent for its flowering.

They go into flowering mode as the dark hrs rise above a certain point, its called a trigger point. Its the amount dark per 24hr cycle. Once the trigger point is past the plant changes over about 3 + week period from growing to flowering.

A strain that is selected for outdoors, starts to trigger as the dark rises above the 9 hr mark ie 15 hrs light. If a 7 week flowerer it will finish end of sep early oct.

The plant also responds to the amount of change per day so its a totally static thing.

Sativa vars like haze don’t start to trigger until the dark period reaches round the 11 hr + point so as a 11/12 week + flowering var it would not finish until Dec/Jan time.

The finish time of any plant remains the the same when ever it was sowed as long as it is an adult at the time the natural light hrs reach its flowering trigger point. So at the harvest time the only difference between a plant sowed mid June and a plant sowed in February and grow under 24/7 light until the natural light was above its trigger point and rising will be the size of finished plant.

Plants germinated under natural light hrs tend to stall if the dark period is above 11 hrs. Once the dark drops below 11 hrs at a rate 4+ minutes a day the infant plant genes recognise it is spring and the plant goes into rapid growth. So although it varies depending on your plants genes, so mid March to early April is a good time to germinate. I have seen plants germinated in the last week in march 15 ft tall and 10 ft across with a stem over 2 inches thick when cropped early October in a London garden.

My personal opinion is that if you want to start plants earlier than that it is better to germinate and grow under continuous light until the natural light is approaching 15 hrs a day before planting out ie. If done properly these could make massive plants.

The exception to this is if the genetics you use have ruderalis in like Stuporsonic where a percentage of plants flower on age and are not light dependent. With these early germinated plants can flower mid summer.

Hi OT1,

Sorry I know this is an old thread but in the second to last paragraph you say (My personal opinion is that if you want to start plants earlier than that it is better to germinate and grow under continuous light until the natural light is approaching 15 hrs a day before planting out ie. If done properly these could make massive plants).

Can you please list for me what you would do in a gurilla grow to I.E. If done properly these could make massive plants.

What is the in's and out's that would be needed to grow a 15 foot plant out side, would an indica grow to this hight out side, if as you say done properly.

Thanks,

GG

• 10 months later...

I grew Purple Power a few years ago. I started them off inside on the window ledge facing south in early Feb. I re-potted and planted them outside towards the end of March and they were maybe 1.5 foot in height by then (Maybe more I forget). I remember I had to secure the stem with some bamboo because of the wind. I fed them mainly water but a few nutrients here and there. I trimmed them lots and was quite aggressive with trimming 2-3 of the plants, getting rid of dodgy looking leaves and smaller buds at the bottom. The plants I trimmed ended up with way more bud than the ones I didn't trim but all the plants were around 7ft-9ft tall.

In fact as I write this I remember that on the plants that ended up with more bud I also chopped the top off them (Dont know the term but the growth bit where the new shoots come out of the top). The ones I chopped at the top ended up smaller than the others of course, but the bud weight was better. I have to say it was a really easy grow, it was almost a pleasure with very little hassle involved. I am lucky as I have a private garden that cannot be seen by anyone so Ill be at it again this year.

I have been reading HydroNauts stuff on hash and I cannot believe I was so stupid as to throw a bin bag of leaves etc away. I shall cry, then pull myself together and get a grip.

Edited by MartininLondon
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

I grew Purple Power a few years ago. I started them off inside on the window ledge facing south in early Feb. I re-potted and planted them outside towards the end of March and they were maybe 1.5 foot in height by then (Maybe more I forget). I remember I had to secure the stem with some bamboo because of the wind. I fed them mainly water but a few nutrients here and there. I trimmed them lots and was quite aggressive with trimming 2-3 of the plants, getting rid of dodgy looking leaves and smaller buds at the bottom. The plants I trimmed ended up with way more bud than the ones I didn't trim but all the plants were around 7ft-9ft tall.

In fact as I write this I remember that on the plants that ended up with more bud I also chopped the top off them (Dont know the term but the growth bit where the new shoots come out of the top). The ones I chopped at the top ended up smaller than the others of course, but the bud weight was better. I have to say it was a really easy grow, it was almost a pleasure with very little hassle involved. I am lucky as I have a private garden that cannot be seen by anyone so Ill be at it again this year.

I have been reading HydroNauts stuff on hash and I cannot believe I was so stupid as to throw a bin bag of leaves etc away. I shall cry, then pull myself together and get a grip.

done exactly the same over the years with all the trim off my plants,binned it,smoke some lol..wel harsh ntil i discovered how to make hash..wat a waste of probally tons of hash.oh never mind ..plenty more to get rowing now

• 3 months later...

Anyway, I'm at uni in Edinburgh, and was wondering if it's possible to see the Northern Lights from here? Or do I need to go further north?

only from within the artic circle

• Like 1