Rockwool Blocks

Owderb

i've read to wash the cubes with water to get all the nasties out of rock wool

and then put the seeds in

anyone else heard this?

I am confused. If taking clones, why do no) 1 - soaking for 24h in pH=5.5-5.6 water? Why not go straight to no) 3 where you soak in the nutrient soution with root stim?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I am confused. If taking clones, why do no) 1 - soaking for 24h in pH=5.5-5.6 water? Why not go straight to no) 3 where you soak in the nutrient soution with root stim?

Same reason you might rinse beans/lentils first before you finally put them into the water in which you're going to cook them... ie wash any crap-out before you put the useful stuff in :rofl:

I reckon... :yinyang:

I wonder whether it's a bit of a hang-over from bygone days when horticultural rockwool wasn't as clean/ready as it is now?

Stan

Edited by Stan909

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny how you get certain practises which become routine even though they are pointless or counterproductive, like putting pebbles in the bottom of your pot to improve drainage or drug prohibition.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, Is it important to use a canna variety root stim or can u use a regular garden variety for germination?

:unsure::execute::unsure::spliff:

• 1 month later...

I don't know what you mean by the regular garden variety, but of course you can use different root stims. Plant Magic Root Stim at least, and probably other root stims, should only be used after the emergence of the root, so use it after you've seen the taproot poke out. I might be wrong, but I'm just going by what it states on the label and what I've been told by someone.

So, when germinating seeds, you start of with water containing just root stim, but when do you actually start using nutrients in the rockwool (at an EC of 0.6-0.8 using something like Formuliex preferrably I assume)?

• Like 1

i ended up using rhizotonic and it seemed to work pretty well....

i only fed with 0.7 formulex when there was a couple of sets of leaves....

this was my first re-circulating hydro grow.....only did hydro once before and was just in perlite and vermiculite bucket from memory.....hand watered....

must admit im findin this grow to be too fiddly with havin to have everything just so and water pumps packin in and i could go on.....

think back to compo after this......more forgiving....

(only switched to hydro cos id moved and didnt wanna be seen humpin bags of compo into a house with no garden)..... :unsure:

^ if you use an Auto topup float valve it will top up your res automatically and you only need to add nutrients in the correct ratio once per week or so. If you're using the Lucas formula you just add the same ratio of nutrients each time of an amount in proportion to the reduction in EC which can be measured really easily using an EC truncheon. If you work out how much Silicon to add to get the pH to the correct level you don't even need to measure the pH. You just add it with the nutrients each week and it will be at the right EC and pH every time, making it a hassle free method of growing.

I find growing in compost to be quite inconvenient and time consuming because of the horrible mess caused by the soil and having to remember to water it every few days, which is difficult to do because I would have to reach over the plants to get to the ones in the back.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

my cutts are just rooted in jiffy pellets i was going to transfer to rockwool 3inch blocks do they need to be in a propergator to get them to root in the rockwool or just under a light baring in mind they have rooted through the jiffys already

chuk em in man, no bollox with a prop theyll be fine as long as theyre looked after

Edited by lez

• 8 months later...

Even Grodan advise just rinsing cubes under tap water for a minute before use. Nothing else is really needed but i guess this guide does no harm. I don't bother with PHing or any other nonsense when it comes to my cubes. just a rinse under the tap is all they need. Keep it simple. :yinyang:

• 2 months later...

I wash my cubes in boiling water before using them, a kind of sterilisation thing I've always done. It can't do any bad so that's why I continue to do it. Also in nearly ten years I've never had problems with fungus or nasties in the medium, just remember to let the cube cool down before popping in the seed! :-D

• Like 2