Rockwool Blocks

Owderb

Cheers, Iky, yes, that used to be my method but I wanted to do hydro now. ;-)

Rockwool is inert: so is soaking them crucial? Is there some some of residue on them that is removed by soaking?

By the same token, how does soaking them in (weak) nutes help, if rockwool does not absorb the liquid?

I appreciate that a simple application of nutes would work as the capillary action of the Rockwool fibres will keep the liquid suspended.

Sorry to be thick about this!

Rockwool is inert: so is soaking them crucial?

IME no it isn't. Those designed for horticultural use can impart a high pH (so I've read :spliff:) but otherwise they should be OK.

I appreciate that a simple application of nutes would work as the capillary action of the Rockwool fibres will keep the liquid suspended.

I think that's pretty-much what happens when they're soaked...

Personally I soak them for an hour-or-so if I can - simply to ensure that there's no hidden dry areas.

If I'm in a rush then I simply give 'em a quick dunk... I've not noticed any significant difference...

Stan

• 1 month later...
Guest Shairiley

adjust cf between 8-10 ph 5.5 drop cubes into water till they sink,squeeze 10-20% of water out of cube to let some air in hey presto works everytime.thats my way :wink:

Guest Shairiley
adjust cf between 8-10 ph 5.5 drop cubes into water till they sink,squeeze 10-20% of water out of cube to let some air in hey presto works everytime.thats my way :wink:

forgot to add thats using formulaex....:rofl:

• 1 month later...

This might be a really daft question, so apologies in advance, but when we say "soak" the cubes, does that mean actually having them submerged in water for 24hours, or does it mean dunking a whole lot of water onto them til they soak it all up and then having them stand in a dry container for 24hours? Bit of a silly question I know, but this is the first time I've had to prepare rockwool cubes for myself and feeling a bit......nervous, and slight confuzzled.

Yes Blacklung slamdunk the whole thing for 24 hrs

SUBMERGE

Thanks for the confirmation mate, cos all I was going to do was pour some water over them and leave them out in the air for 24hrs!!!!!! You're a star.

DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I put them in a colander inside a bucket. I then swing the bucket around 10 times so that the water drains out of the cubes by centrifugal force.

Hi Folks

Just came across this comment of mine... :woot:

I don't recommend doing the above anymore unless you really want to dry your cubes out quite well... :yep:

Healthy plants should root-through well prepared, hand-shaken cubes without probs... :yep:

ATB

Stan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ive just bought my tent and should be rolling soon but the bloke in the shop said something that i didnt think was right.

Basically you germinate in small rockwool cubes, and as soon as they are big enough you then put them in like the 3" rockwool cubes. He then said, which i didnt get, that you put those 3" rockwool cubes into your bubble pot/net pot and then fill with clay pebbles around it (im using an oxypot system)....

Is this right?

Ive just bought my tent and should be rolling soon but the bloke in the shop said something that i didnt think was right.

Basically you germinate in small rockwool cubes, and as soon as they are big enough you then put them in like the 3" rockwool cubes. He then said, which i didnt get, that you put those 3" rockwool cubes into your bubble pot/net pot and then fill with clay pebbles around it (im using an oxypot system)....

Is this right?

I personally cant answer that question, I'm just here to jump in with my second daft question on this thread, but I thought it would be rude not to acknowledge your question, so hopefully someone answers it after I bump this.....

Blacklung's Second Daft Question:

After the cubes have been soaked for 24hrs in ph adjusted water, can you then use the leftover water to feed mature plants, or is there too much crap in it from the cubes to make that feasible? Reason I ask is cos it always makes me feel guilty to dump loads of water away when it could have further uses. Again, my apologies in advance for the potential daftness of this question. :stoned:

Guest weedmonsta

@weedboy

yes m8 you put the small cubes in the larger ones so the roots have something extra to hold onto

Guest Shairiley

you only have to let the cubes sink to the bottom of your bucket,24hrs is not necessary

• 3 weeks later...

weedmonsta, I think you may have misunderstood his question. Maybe you missed the part where he said, 'he then said'...

weedboy, I do believe his advice was sound.

Edited by Artificial Emotion