Is connecting the filter directly to the fan- OK or better put some du

Petrushka

• 12 years later...
On 5/18/2009 at 5:06 AM, woodbutcher32 said:

I find if you insert just a little acoustic ducting between the fan and filter it helps to quiten the filter down no end, especially if you pull the outer layer right up to the fan.

wb

I know this is an old thread but I have recently had my filter connected directly to the fan and also with a ft of phonic trap inbetween the fan and filter and it is deffinently more discreet on the exit hole for the extract with a bit of phonic trap ducting inbetween the fan and filter, It's not perfect but it is deffinently better.

I'm going to try and quite things down further by using some bigger ducting

E.g. instead of 6inch ducting of the 6 inch fan I'm going to get a 6 inch to 8 inch expander and run some 8 inch ducting of the 6 inch fan.

I'm also going to do the same with my 5 inch intake by getting a 5 to 6 inch expander so I can use 6 inch phonic trap ducting on my intake that will connect to the 5 inch fan.

I will report back but hopefully this will help quieter it down a bit more.

It's been a mission keep changing it all but if it makes a difference it will be worth it in the long run 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, W33dtotheroach said:

quieter it down a bit more.

Build a silencer for next to nothing bud...tag me if you want details...:yep:

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

Build a silencer for next to nothing bud...tag me if you want details...:yep:

Cheers mate.  I've actually already got one of those.  Ive been thinking of moving it tho. Currently I have it set up like this.

Filter --> 1ft phonic trap---> fan ----> silencer -----> 1.5 meters phonic trap to outside vent

I've been thinking of moving the silencer right up to the end of the out vent.

Where do you position yours @stu914?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, W33dtotheroach said:

Where do you position yours

Pretty much the same as you, currently my fan is running at 20% so can't hear a thing...let's hope it stays that way...:yep:

16 hours ago, W33dtotheroach said:

I know this is an old thread but I have recently had my filter connected directly to the fan and also with a ft of phonic trap inbetween the fan and filter and it is deffinently more discreet on the exit hole for the extract with a bit of phonic trap ducting inbetween the fan and filter, It's not perfect but it is deffinently better.

I'm going to try and quite things down further by using some bigger ducting

E.g. instead of 6inch ducting of the 6 inch fan I'm going to get a 6 inch to 8 inch expander and run some 8 inch ducting of the 6 inch fan.

I'm also going to do the same with my 5 inch intake by getting a 5 to 6 inch expander so I can use 6 inch phonic trap ducting on my intake that will connect to the 5 inch fan.

I will report back but hopefully this will help quieter it down a bit more.

It's been a mission keep changing it all but if it makes a difference it will be worth it in the long run 

Wouldn't that cause you to lose air pressure and therfore have to run your fans faster making more noise:g: