Is connecting the filter directly to the fan- OK or better put some du

Petrushka

I bought this fan RUCK RKW 150-L 700m3, this filter Rhino Pro Filter 150/600 and 5m of acoustic ducting.

My original idea was to connect the filter directly to the fan, then connect the ducting and hang its end outside. I figured this setup would be most efficient and quiet. Actually I even like/liked the concept of Foothill filters best.

But now I read some places that if the fan is attached to the filter a lot of noise would escape from/through the filter and the vibration of the fan can settle/unsettle/whatever the carbon in the filter. Even (spam)recommend using a short length of ducting between the fan and filter (just enough to keep them separated from each other, or as much as necessary for your application) to keep vibration from causing the carbon in the filter to settle[/i]". :spliff:

Is that true?

It seems absurd to insert ducting after the filter :nono: and double the number of potential failure points. :russian:

What are your thoughts?

I can't really try it out. I don't want to screw with the ducting too much. I only hope to connect it once right...

Also I forgot to order the clamp to connect the filter to the fan. :crybaby: Do I need it at all though?

The RUCK plugs nicely into the Rhino. Could I just seal it with duct tape maybe?

Edited by bart
offsite link removed

Hmmm.... I thought it would have been fine and like you said quieter, but if the manufacture recommends using some ducting I'd go with what they say, depends on where/how your caron filter will be and how your suspending them.

hello buddy, I to have just bought a 4" rvk fan and filter, i didnt bother with the ducting due to lack of room and didnt see the point of it.

I have a 1.2 m2 grow tent and after the fan and filter are connected theres only a few inches left before the end, i have seen many fans & filters connected straight togeter without claps and ducktape will do the job, just make sure u seal the connection up well.

all in all its done the job and the smell is gone. :spliff:

I found this insert-ducting-recommendation through research. Neither RUCK nor Rhino nor Greens mention that.

I was planning on suspending the filter-fan combo horizontally and in a straight with the ceiling of the grow room. Then connect the ducting to the fan and doing some 3-4 bends put it through the wall to the outside. I have the space to insert "some" ducting between the filter and the fan, but then the first bend in the ducting would be closer to the fan, which I understand would both decrease the efficiency of the filter and increase the noise level

Edited by bart
offsite link removed

Guest daviie
So anybody knows what, if any, effects fan vibration can have on activated carbon in a filter?

None whatsoever. I've been doing heating and ventilation for thirty plus years. In commercial and industrial systems I would always have the fan (and pumps) separate, to prevent noise and vibration propagation, and also because vent system components are made by entirely different companies, so the spigots very often are not the same size. (Each item is selected on capacity only, not on compatible spigot sizes)

In a domestic situation such as yours, there will be no difference between connecting directly or having a spacer. In non domestic situations, fans would be sited on concrete plinths, or slung from concrete slab so noise and vibration is an issue. In a small domestic grow situation, that does not occur. Connect them directly, though make sure the fan is slung on flexible bungees or similar. The granules of carbon are not going to crumble, so the CF is good to go.

My mate has just bought the same one he has ducting beetween the filter and fan and there are no problems.

My opinion is that they are a good bit of kit, what do you think?

The fan and filter in my flower tent has about 8" of ducting between them but that was just for ease of fitting replacement filters. I suppose they could be half an inch apart and as long as they were both supported properly, connect them with duct tape.

Thanks guys and daviie in particular!

Now I wonder, since I forgot to order the clamp, should I just duct-tape or order one?

If order, which of these two do you think is better: greens or growland?

Finally, noise:

Would a piece of ducting between the filter and the fan reduce noise inside the grow room?

I read in some thread on some forum that someone's filter was very noisy. Mine is Rhino. I won't listen to it before I install it.

Do you really have a RUCK filter in your bedroom? lol

Mine has three speeds and I probably couldn't sleep even at the lowest. At the highest I would get a headache.

Guest daviie

The noise will not be any different between putting a spacer in or not. You just have to make sure that the maximum flow for your filter, is below the air flow from the fan, otherwise it wouldn't work as designed. The 150 L is rated at around 700m3/hr. With a CF attached it will put out approximately 580 - 600 m3/hr. Just check that that is below the maximum flow for the filter (The max flow rating should be in the instructions included with the packaging) and it should be fine.

i just got the 6" high power fan with 725m3/ph & the same 6" rhino cf :spliff: so hopefully no more crispy plants for me :spliff:

I find if you insert just a little acoustic ducting between the fan and filter it helps to quiten the filter down no end, especially if you pull the outer layer right up to the fan.

wb

• Like 1

I found the clamps they sell to go with the fans a right pita. I double up cable ties or use duct tape and cut them away when changing the filter.

• Like 1