Art

*L S D*

Hey Peps1. Thanks for that book recommendation. :yep: I needed another book to read. :guitar::hug:

I think doing anything creative is worthwhile. It sure beats watching TV and knowing about art will only enhance the work that you create. Like most things in life the more you put in, the more you get out of it.

No arguments there and you still have not answered my question. :stoned:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randalizer

• *L S D*

• DaveDee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I disagree with the notion that craft isn't art. A craftsperson of any kind is as much an artisan as any other kind of creative person.

:yes:

I like what Andy Warhol said about art;

Art is whatever you can get away with.

The notion that unless you are exhibited in an art gallery of some sort, you are not considered an artiste to me is just plain snobbishness and elitism. Which I find a lot in academic circles.

Based upon Andy's statement above (I just saw a show of his at the new Jewish Contemporary Art Museum in San Fran) then it stands to reason that there is several "types" of art. Traditional art, academic/theory art, art gallery art, shamanic-trance induced art, etc.

For the definitive answer on art I present, Nick Parks! :badass:

Sounds as if you have a bit of an inferiority complex Randalizer, with all this talk of snobbishness.

Whats wrong with the title craftsman or master craftsman?

"I'm not an artist, I'm a f*****g work of art" - Marilyn Manson....

and as for all the aggravation...

"Just shut up and roll that weed" - Mitchell Brothers. :wassnnme:

Sounds as if you have a bit of an inferiority complex Randalizer, with all this talk of snobbishness.

and you still have not answered my question to you. So who is feeling inferior? :wassnnme:

Edited by Randalizer

What question is that and did you consider that I didn't feel like it or didn't feel it was worth it? What amazingly insightful bit of information have you given us for me to feel inferior about I must have missed it.

So to make a good piece of art i need good theory otherwise its just a wasted effort?

No.

Good art is often effortless.

Do you know henri michaux, he did automatic art on mescaline.

Ive done some, and it feels like I am just holding the pen, and letting it work though me.

I call myself an artist, not to be a snob, but to look forwrard to the future.

Art is about expression and flow.

Its not about snobbery and elitism.

Its not about being good at it, its about enjoyment, learning and discovery.

Yeah your right that some amazing art comes seemingly effortlessly as do some of the most wonderful ideas humans have had, gravity, chaos theory the list is endless. That's not to say the idea didn't take a heck of alot of work after the inspiration.

Automatic drawing, writing without the understanding of what it is you have produced is nonsense as is anything without meaning.

I can add 2+2 and call myself a mathematician or say 3+2=12 and call myself a theoretical mathematician, I just going to look very silly if I tell anyone who knows anything about the subject.

Oh wait a minute I put up some shelves last week so I'm a carpenter as well.

• 2 weeks later...
So to make a good piece of art i need good theory otherwise its just a wasted effort?

No.

Good art is often effortless.

Bollocks cleaver Art is often effortless.........but to call something good or bad can only be opinion and not stated as fact.......it would be like me say:

"Henri Michaux was a second rate poet and a 3rd rate artist FACT!"

You could say that but as an outsider you would be wrong. :smug:

I have a degree in fine Art and can't draw for toffee. I have created thousands of works of Art. Why is it art. Because I am an Artist and delare it as Art. I have a large knowledge base of a great deal of the art made before I made my art. This informed my Art. If your work is not informed, contexulalised and has little content then it is most likely interior decoration. My art is mainly performance based so only leaves its evidence of being in documentation and in the memories of those present when it is performed.

Art in Theory is a bit hard on the head even for post-grads unless you like reading long pieces on Art theory and long forgotten manifesto's. A better book for understanding why contemporary is made is Berger's 'Ways of seeing' or David Hopkins' After Modern Art 1945-2000. Oxford history of Art. ISBN 0192842334.

t then it is most likely interior decoration.

One of my art instructors once said;

Is it wallpaper or is it art?

Thanks for the book tips! :yinyang:

Edited by Randalizer

I did not want to go further than than the degree in quals here, but actually MA and now looking at curator pos. Teach at various uni's in mixed medias to undergrads. If I offended apologies.

Now who hear knows about this autistic dude who was kinda locked up in his apartment for years, made a bunch of crazy drawings that many art critics are now hailing as some sort of Great Art?

A fine example of an uninformed artist methinks.

Edited by Randalizer