Temp Probs

spark1

Hi all.

Hope someone can help me with this, i have read other posts on this but cant come to a final idea, wondered if any of you guys could help me.

This is my first grow and so im still learning.

I have just finished building my grow room (see pic) it is fully enclosed.

I am running a 600w hps lamp.

I have just tested my light on for 30mins and my temp in the room is already in the high 90s (farenheit)

I have heard about drilling holes in light etc and not too sure the best way to bring the temps down. I will be installing a fan in the near future to help.

I have a low budget, and so any ideas would be appreciated.

My room size is 6ft tall, 30inches deep and 42 inches wide.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, pic wont work for some reason...not very good with pcs. Any ideas of how to make the pictures work also appreciated, and i will post some.

Cheers again

A fan is your only option. You can either pressure vent, ie suck in the air and just have a vent out - and the fan increases pressure in the room and which expels air through the vent. I would say this is going to have the best cooling effect - but if your room isn't air tight it's more difficult to control odour. Or you can suck air out with a fan and just have a vent in - it is easier to control odor like this.

Having that sized light in that sized cupboard is bound to give you a heat problem unless you get a fan. Wish I had one though.

Martin.

Guest cali-trap

look at some dutch suppliers for extractor fans (RVK) that cost around half the price of the british shops. it's the only area in which we're getting comprehensively ripped off by someone, somewhere.

I've grown in a slightly smaller space (more height though) with just an office fan blowing on the bulb. (400w) Luckily the cupboard has the loft above it, so I just cut out the ceiling.

It's bit drastic, but if the plasterboard can be cut at angle with a breadknife, it can be dropped back in and a few licks of paint will hide the join.

Once I added an inlet vent as well, no more temp problems.

Yeah, my room isnt airtight, which could cause probs.

Im only growing 2 plants and so i have not put much consideration into the odour areas.

After writing my lasy post i checked my room again and it was way off the scale, about 120 degrees (haha)...so i decided to turn it off incase the place burst into flames. I have since tried a fan in the room, and took the roof off the unit with the fan blowing towards the light through the top of the unit. Again this hasnt helped much.

My main problem is that im growing in a shed outside my house, and so it is warm in their anyway!

Looks like im going to have to buy an extraction fan and some ducting to keep the temp down....this is beginning to annoy me, it was all going soo well!

Cheers guys, any other ideas as to products ect would be greatly appreciated as im going to wait a while before i make a decision.

i have just bought an S&P SL-TD160, i quickly set it up last night and my temps in the box dropped by 4 Degrees celcius. £45 + VAT from the link below.

I have put the ducting right at the end of the reflector so it sucks the hot air directly from around the bulb.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD160.html

Today i have set it up properly so its venting out of the room and also added active intake at the bottom of the box, hopefully this will lower the temps even further!

Ill keep you posted.

L0tus

Budget or no budget RVK or LTI (same make different name) are the dogs danglies!! they are designed to run 24/7 365 a year, the motor is also silent and they can handle a carbon filter, i got mine with wall bracket and 10m ducting for £100 so twice the price of the S&P fan but in my opinion money well spent, cant suggest any cheaper products than LOtus, sorry not a cheap hobby, and that wont be the last great expense believe me!!!! all the best BBB

no...haha, luckily there are no plants in the system yet (or they would be long dead)

Im still trialing to see if i can get everything right

Lotus, that fan u mentioned looks just the job, thanks.

Could do with knowing how quiet it is though?

If i cant find anything else i will order that on monday

Cheers

Well i would agree with BBB the LTI and RVK fans are better than the S&P, but the S&P suits my space perfectly, its very quiet running, on the specs S&P supply its quieter than the LTI and RVK fans, the motor is alomost silent, the main noise is from air flow but thats true with any fan.

i have acoustic ducting but only on the intake side of the fan, normal PVC stuff on the outlet but its still quiet.

O i forgot to mention im running mine on the lower speed at the moment just for test purposes, gonna check the temps then test at full speed.

TLC also do a good fan speed controller for a tenner, you could run the S&P on the highest speed and then just back it off slightly with the speed controller to make it even quieter.

L0tus

here are some other fans that some guys on here have been researching, heres the thread.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?show...topic=14272&hl=

and here are some alternative fans to the S&P.

http://www.edw-uk.com/e-wholesaler/ewcats/cat3146.htm

Another thing that pushed my in favour of the S&P were the dimensions, its quiet alot smaller than the alternatives, but its a trade off with the amount of air it moves.

hope this helps.

L0tus

Edited by L0tus

The RVK fans might be better, but when i can buy two of the other fans for the price of 1 RVK, i think i know what i would go for!

Thanks for info Lotus, much appreciated.

Think i will order one on monday.

maybe after the first grow i can upgrade to an RVK as well, really get my temp prob sorted.

Im gagging to get my plants grown, need to sort this out soon!

LB

thats what i thought LimpetBeans, if i need to upgrade later i will.

L0tus

Edited by L0tus

I have just read that the S&P fans fail when trying to expel hot air, i dont need that!

Oh well, if it lasts one or two grows it will do me i guess.

So many options, so many choices, so many numbers and confusing info!

Cheers

LB