Actively Aerated Compost Tea

I Zimbra

AACTs are sensitive to chlorine so best to let it out, the 12 hour fungi bit is a bit out id say (wiki) it may grow in that time but wouldnt multiply in any great numbers. the easiest way to get more fungi in a brew would be to grow it before hand by adding proteins such as oatmeal soya bean meal oat bran etc, mix this at the rate of 3-4 tablespoons to a cup of compost, mushroom compost is great for obvious reasons, moisten it until you can just squeeze a few drops out and leave it in a warm dark place for a week. at the end of the week it will or should be a mat of fungi, my brewer is a 25ltr one so in this i add 2 tablespoons of whatever to feed the microbes, molasses fruit juice fish emulsion are good for bacteria and ive found rock dust is great for fungi but humic and fulvic acids also good.

in a brew of 25ltrs you need to add 4 cups of compost 2 table spoons of feed to chlorine free water, i have 3 air stones and a fairly big air pump to get the air going through, this also keeps the brew moving but give it a stir now and then. 24 hrs and things are really going mine take about 36hrs. if it starts to smell bad then chuck it. carefull using heaters and keep everything spotless in between use, a small start to a great addition for your growing pleasure.

post-31158-1219508512_thumb.jpg

a simple brewer

That looks like a really nice piece of kit, good photo as well, the iPhone seems to take pretty good pictures as long as they are not to close up, did you buy the bubbler pre-made or knock it up your self?

Would you please explain why mushroom compost is good? I assume you mean spent mushroom compost.

Thanks to felix for splitting this topic, maybe now we can get into the nitty gritty of act's.

EDIT to add, whazzup do you have to deal with chloramine in holland? If so how do you deal with it.

I hope this maybe helps identify LSF - I'm not sure that is LSF in your pic IZimbra.

Here's an early stage of LSF shot:

gallery_127_1042_29425.jpg

Leave it untreated and around two weeks later this is how things may look:

gallery_127_1042_69149.jpg

I tend to get LSF every year at this time. The reason is simple - my 'Drobe is in a bedroom, and this is ventilated by a window, which in turn is about 20 feet away from some roses that always fall victim to LSF. So, spores upward fly and hey presto! Whallop! Bah!

This year, a spray with diluted Biolife has stopped it dead in its tracks, in my vegging 'drobe. Alas, I cannot spray in my flowering drobe for fear of budrot, so must just watch it rip through it. Yield will be down by 10 - 15%, maybe. Its unsightly, but I find that plants still produce, just not so much. My bad - I forgot to spray the currently flowering plants before they went 12/12.

• Like 1

OT have you got super human powers? How did you know it was an iPhone? As usual you're spot on!

The mushroom compost is spent yes, the reasons why it's good are based on what I've found using it and the amount of fungal thread that covered it when I mixed it with soya, I just assumed that being as mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of fungi that that was the reason.

The brewer is home made, I can do a step by step thing if anyone wants but you can see in the picture really, it's just one of many types you can make you can also buy them but I believe they cost 100bucks or more, where as a trip to ikea, pet store and a tenner you can build one.

Thankyou Arnold for the pictures they are very helpfull, I also worried about spraying my girls in flower so I dip the leaves into a jug of the water, it also ensures a large coverage of the leaf although I'd be in 2 minds at the stage of flower yours are in there, nice by the way!

Thankyou also to you Felix for splitting it, I hadn't intended for it to go so far so my apologies also!

I'm off out on me bike today for a bit of head therapy so I won't be able to reply to any abuse till later! Ha ha

The pictures are not clear enough, yes you have some necrotic spots, why is not clear, at this moment it does not look like the typical rust coloured spots seen at the start of the most virulent type we see most of.

There are many other leaf funguses that infest cannabis, lets hope this is not fungus related.

Personally I think if thats not nute splash its LSF,in fact Im pretty sure its LSF. 908

Just to add wasnt trying to say I could determine a problem OT wasnt sure on (without seeing firsthand).

The pic shown reminded me of the start of Lsf a couple of grows back I had.However it wasnt the same as the virulent and aggressive lsf that starts with the rust coloured spots.This one was more manageable and easily cured with essence.The necrotic spots look like spore burns to me. 908

OT have you got super human powers? How did you know it was an iPhone? As usual you're spot on!

The mushroom compost is spent yes, the reasons why it's good are based on what I've found using it and the amount of fungal thread that covered it when I mixed it with soya, I just assumed that being as mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of fungi that that was the reason.

The brewer is home made, I can do a step by step thing if anyone wants but you can see in the picture really, it's just one of many types you can make you can also buy them but I believe they cost 100bucks or more, where as a trip to ikea, pet store and a tenner you can build one.

Thankyou Arnold for the pictures they are very helpfull, I also worried about spraying my girls in flower so I dip the leaves into a jug of the water, it also ensures a large coverage of the leaf although I'd be in 2 minds at the stage of flower yours are in there, nice by the way!

Thankyou also to you Felix for splitting it, I hadn't intended for it to go so far so my apologies also!

I'm off out on me bike today for a bit of head therapy so I won't be able to reply to any abuse till later! Ha ha

No special powers, simply put, its in the exif data in the jpegs you posted.

I think a step by step would be a brilliant addition to uk420 resources.

Ok a few comments on mushroom compost.

Pro’s:-

It contains a whole spectrum of breakdown, nitrifying and phosphorus mining bacteria. While its a desert concerning fungal types, ie the sterilization process eliminates all possible competing fungal types so the bisporus type that produces your mushrooms has 100% of the medium to populate, ie as far as fungus types, its a mono culture, like growing a field of wheat with all competing weeds eliminated.

On the plus side, in resent years the mushroom industry has been blighted with what they call green mould killing out whole houses, now what is a nasty disease to them, could be a big bonus for us, the green mold, is in fact trichoderma harzianum type Th2 or Th4, not sure if Th4 is found in the uk but both types are very aggressive forms of trichoderma harzianum, I’m not sure that these are aerial types, maybe felix will know?

Con’s:-

Unless you know the compost is certified organic, mushroom growers use more pesticides than nearly any other horticultural industry. The residues in the spent compost can be huge.

I used to use several tons of spent mushroom compost from an organic mushroom farm every year, it caused me big problems because it was so alkaline raising the ph of my soil to high, even removing the casing which contains most of the chalk did not stop it. So keep in mind it has a very high ph.

It also often contains a horde of fungus gnats and shore flies. Not something you want to bring indoors.

Finally off topic but:- sorry it was me that coined the phrase leaf spot fungus here, it seems to have been taken as a generic term for any leaf problem. I believe there are at least 4 or 5 types of fungal disease that are called/classified as leaf spot for the cannabis sativa genus and two types of rusts. I think that the fungus that is causing most of the problems our members are seeing is in fact a rust.

Very nice brewer I Zimbra :) that looks a lot better than many of the commercially available ones and certainly better than the mineral water bottle and air stone I use :yep:

I agree with OT and think a step by step guide would be very useful for others if you have the time.

Having only really concentrated on the bacterial side of AACT's, I have a question for you regarding fungi brews. Given that mycorrhizal hyphae are broken up and destroyed when compost or soil is turned over or disturbed what happens to the fungal hypha in a compost brew when it is being turned over by the air stones ?

I'll have a dig around and try find out a bit more about T. Harzianum T2 & T4 and see what I can find out. They could be a useful addition to a compost mix or if they are too aggressive they may attack mycorrhizal fungi in the absence of their natural prey. Some interesting avenues, thanks OT.

thanks for the info OT, I will do a step by step but may be a few days yet.

That's a good question Felix, mycorrhyzal spores would have to be added at the end of a brew so as not to damage hyphae, also they need to get to the root quickly or it's game over for them.

The brewer can be changed to suit the brew required, fungi are delicate so a less agressive air flow would be better, the air stones in the picture are good for fungi as they're a bit cheap n nasty and don't give off such a fine blanket of bubbles, if I were to get a bacterial dominent brew then a higher quality air stone would be better as it would hinder fungi and encourage bacteria.

The rock dust feeds fungi and provides a surface for it to grow on, after about 24hrs you can start to see the familiar Y type shape that the fungi form moving around the brew, I get a bit lost gazing into it and that drives my misses nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

Would have thought so but even if they don't I can't imagine it doing any harm as I don't think ascorbic acid is anti bacterial :blub: . That's got to be one of the cheapest and easiest ways I've seen to get rid of the stuff.

Dropping a bit of fruit in could also be an option for anyone making a compost tea I suspect.

Edited by felix_dzerjinski
awful grammar

Guest grandad

i started using tea's this year, google has provided lots of information to much for me to understand, and learning what i can understand will take lots of time.i use molasses to activate it i use.

stinging nettles...40 trace elements

epson salts

alfalfa/comfrey pellets

fulvic acid

bat guano

fishmix

egg shells.

i'm going to try a grow using only tea

s, i do different mix for veg and flower.

this ones been brewing for 2 days, i will add more molasses tomorrow and it reactivates.

post-10832-1220562063_thumb.jpg

sorry fellas, I may have missed it in another thread and its just occured to me, is there any reason why some esscence or canna trichoderma etc.. culd not be brewed in a compost tea? Actually its just occured to me (again :yep: ) that maybe its best to use innoculants seperately so they aint havin to compete with other stuff in the brew, right never mind, carry on! ;)

So maybe I answered my own question there but any one else got an opinion?

Eta thats a lovely cuppa your making there grandad :D

Edited by solarchild