Reusing Compost

oldtimer1

8 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

You want nematodes mate, have a google, they're brilliant. 

Aye, I'll probably use the wee squiggly beasties once I have plants to protect. Reckon I will sterilise the soil with peroxide prior to planting though, to stave off any early infestation.

Plenty of time yet, I'll not be starting another grow until March most likely...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a wee question to anyone out there who uses "synthetic" nutrients rather than totally organic grows.

Do you re-use your soil? If so, any issues with nutrient build up? And I so, how do you reduce that or mitigate the effects? @MindSoup suggested flushing/rinsing the soil before use / re-mixing, but I wonder if this will be sufficient and/or necessary?

So any non-organic / semi-organic growers re-using soil? Or do you just buy new each time?

I just get new every time and use the old stuff on the garden, I figure that it's easier growing to get a canna specific compost which has a high turnover in the shops so it's always freshly made.

I generally like the idea of making my own compost and reusing compost but I'm more inclined to do that to grow vegetables etc and build up experience rather than have my grow struggle with inconsistent media, salt build up, lime deficiency etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@ukbudz @blackpoolbouncer

Did u guys get soil tests done in the end? Would be interesting. I've read somewhere that adding rock dust could be a source of heavy metals but I dunno whether that's based on evidence or just a theory

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to mix new and used compost at 50/50 mix and feed earlier. Might chuck in some rock dust, may help next cycle 

• 1 year later...

I throw all old grow compost onto my compost heap, together with other garden compostable waste from veg plants and flowers etc, and resue it the following year on the veggies and flowers. Once the worms have had a go at the old soil and it's rotted down with the rest of the plant matter, it's fantastic for the rest of your 'legit' gardens.

But for bud, i would recommend to always use fresh compost or soil mixes, to reduce the chances of a pathogen being present and cocking up the entire grow.