Reusing Compost

oldtimer1

harvest the root out of your healthy soil after 10 days of cutting the host out, in this time the mycorrhizal fungi should have produced spores because its host is dead, cut the root into small bits and add it back. if you wanted to leave the soil alone you would benefit from using a much bigger pot which you could add to over 2-3 crops. every time you re-plant into a pot a moist watering with a good balanced AACT keeps it all tip top.

• Like 2

Guest The Sheriff

Heya Zimbra , lack of planning took over im afraid , in the shape of the 6.2ltr pots will be final pots for the plants and making a mental note that there wouldn't be enough side gap cutting 3.5 into 6 ltr pots :soap:

Saying that , cheers for the reply ,

harvest the root out of your healthy soil after 10 days of cutting the host out, in this time the mycorrhizal fungi should have produced spores because its host is dead, cut the root into small bits and add it back.

Kind of done that , basically left the previous grow pots sit for a week or so , come final pot day top inch was removed main stem cut out & remaining sifted then added me ewc , perlite etc

post-26657-1220427084_thumb.jpg

been in a couple of days now see how they go stacked against some fresh compost ones i have in , gonna try some cuttings in some reused also stacked up , if there's one gripe i have on Westslands adv plus is personally the way i grow i find it just a tad hot in early clone development , my personal dislike of perlite dont help . I picked up some coco coir at local garden center cheap , thees much bargains to be had this time of year , may give that a whirl into the mix . Waiting to test the old sifted compost on my veg and have meet a smashing chap whos been growing Gladiola for over 40 years and his farther before him , i reckon if any one could see indepth changes in a plant hes the man , standing on his place amazed by his companion planting & the care & preparation he takes getting his soil ready put us weed growers to shame , :ouch: there's so much to learn , fun uh .

Guest The Sheriff

Heya mate ,

What have you decided to do with your test plants?
Um short term smoke the buggers :yinyang:

They have been in 3 or 4 days mate four warlocks up against two similar , pheno etc & two widows one in fresh one reused .

post-26657-1220433011_thumb.jpg

sorry crap pic rushing around down here , hope shut down soon i need to get back home before all u townies rape the wimberries .

• 3 months later...
I completed 4 grows reusing the original composts 3 times after the first grow a few weeks ago, thought I would let you know how it went.

I started out using both allmix and westlands hanging basket + JI, half the pots had added inoculant and rock dust. 9 plants in each 36 in all. Of the untreated composts the westlands gave better overall health and final yield than the all mix.

The treated composts did better, had better rootballs, were just more sturdy all round and yielded better than the untreated composts, there was less difference in yield but the westlands still had it by a few grams.

I concluded that the westlands was a much better compost than bb’s allmix but that the allmix could be improved a lot by the addition of rock dust and inoculant. Whatever micro heard allmix has, it does not do the job when it comes to plant health.

I decided to reuse the compost for the first time mainly because westlands my first choice had reformulated their mix. I kept the two composts separate sieved the roots out remixed them adding 5% premix and 10% worm, rockdust, enough water to make damp and left it a couple of weeks to ferment/stabilise.

I inoculated the plants on the first potting up, that was it, there was nothing between the reused allmix and westlands, all plants did well were sturdy, good rootballs and were healthy, Average yield was up on the best of the first grow. I concluded the effort had been very worth while.

I decided to do it again, this time I just sieved and mixed both composts used the same additives and method. The results were even better than the first remix, plant health was stunning.

The final remix was late spring, with this I used the same method, but had been given some high P bat, so I added a little to half the mix. The result was little or no difference between the bat and ordinary remix as far as yield or smoke, its not an indietment on bat poo. Overall the yield was down a few ounces on the first grow, none of the plants were as healthy, and a couple went down with a root fungus. So its time to start out with fresh compost again.

I suspect there has been a build up of allsorts of things from tap water, plant exudations and the fertilisers used, probably the base fertiliser ratioes had all gone to hell and the ph buffer was probably way out as well. I’m sure the spent compost will be a very useful addition to my veg garden when used as a mulch and hoed in.

This is not a formula or a how to do anything, I’m just telling you what I did over a couple of years and how it worked out for me.

i am on my fourth one re using soil mate each time i have added lime funky fungi and a root and bloom stimulator and it just keeps getting better :wink:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 plants about 3 weeks from finishing, they were put into 15ltr pots strait from prop into used soil. I didn't disturb the soil just cut the plant out, it was left for 10 days prior to planting no further amendments added. They have been the most trouble free and healthy plants I have grown, not a problem at all! Beautiful healthy bud monsters! Just fed with aacts both soil and foliar. I will never pot up again unless I'm starting a fresh mix, it takes the same amount of time from start to finish and is far more trouble free! Obviously the aacts are a huge boost for them and using different brews for different stages has been great! I'm loving this more hands on way of feeding it pisses all over any nutrient you can buy! Beautiful big tight healthy buds totaly organicly fed! You can't beat it arrr

• 2 weeks later...

I am definately up for trying this new "cut the old rootball out and plant straight in" method, as it would be simply too much work for me to sieve all my old compost.

I will do it once i get to my final 6.5 litre pots , but have a couple of questions if anyone out there can help me out... :yep:

1- its been over a month since my last grow ended and got the chop but my final pots still have the old soil sat in them, as i have been too busy to start prepping for the next grow.The soil has really dried out, to the extent of pulling away from the sides of the pots.... will this affect the new method, will i have killed all the good bacteria in the soil?, or should i just give them a good soaking with water and maxicrop a few days before im ready to use it to reactivate everything?

2-before i plant into my old holes should i sprinkle a bit of rockdust, and a bit of innoculant to help transplantation?

thanks a lot in advance everyone,

much appreciated

:ouch:

Redgrotto

can anybody help me out on my question above...............please :ninja:

I will when I can. I need to reread this topic anyway. Give me 24 hours or so. :yinyang:

• Like 1

Guest The Sheriff

Heya Redgrotto ,

.... will this affect the new method, will i have killed all the good bacteria in the soil?
yes , presuming you had a good thriving microbial life looked after through the last grow .
reactivate everything

As above reactivate what exactly lol

rockdust, and a bit of innoculant to help transplantation?

Innoculants good imho but i would either mix the fine dust and water the plants in or toss a handful on top .

Its not a straight answer beause it almost impossible for anyone to say what is happening imho youre old spent compost , give it a go , not sure i would ps why can you not sieve the compost ? what may concern you if you do go ahead , i find once sieved if i dont let the mix settle you may get some early leeching of the leaves , easily curred with the correct tea mix , good luck .

cheers for your time sheriff,

im not sure im clear on what your saying though...

when i asked "will this affect the new method, will i have killed all the good bacteria in the soil?"..

you answered with...

"yes , presuming you had a good thriving microbial life looked after through the last grow."

do you mean, yes i will have killed all my microbial life by leaving the soil to dry out after harvesting my grow?

and in answer to your other question, the reason i want to try this method and not sieve all my soil is that i have many plants , and it will save me loads of work :rofl:

hope this makes sense dude,

cheers for your time,

:D

Redgrotto

• 6 months later...

Ive read through this thread a few times so i'm pretty sure its not been mentioned but then again my eyes are not what they was.

How much rock dust do you use ive read on the plant magic thread they use 1.5kg of rockdust to 50 litres of soil does this sound about right?

And also when you re use the compost for the 2nd time ect.. you add rockdust again do you add the same ammout as the first time (e.g 1.5kg to 50 litres) im using seers rockdust and it says on the tub it lasts upto 10 years so after the initial first lot would it not still be of use the 2nd and 3rd reusage??

Sorry if this has been answered before and i know its an old thread its just left me a bit puzzled. :B):

cheers in advance :B):