The Atheism Thread

Guest roger

where do you stand?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Atheist

Agnostic

Deist

Theist

Thats a lot of ists! i love thinking we are evolving and nature needs re-nurturing how can i fit in to any of those descriptions?

well, where do you stand on the issue of god? :yinyang:

Hes a cunt and i want a word with him in my office!

ETA to add i been to a funeral today so im a bit mixed up

I got edgy when the vicar mention the 'Prison of the flesh' and sinning !!!!!!

Edited by Biw Coopah

When I was thirteen my granddad died; at his wake the priest was being a right vicious bastard to me,coming over & trying to shame me into believing using my granddads soul as a tool.... the arsehole.

When I was thirteen my granddad died; at his wake the priest was being a right vicious bastard to me,coming over & trying to shame me into believing using my granddads soul as a tool.... the arsehole.

A tool for what?! :rofl:

erm, along the lines of 'is he rotting in the ground or up in heaven', with my family around - did I mention that this was a wake?

erm, along the lines of 'is he rotting in the ground or up in heaven', with my family around - did I mention that this was a wake?

Nothing 'Rots' when buried, its consumed by the organisms of the earth and turned elemental and what a strange name for the section of time after some one is buried! Wake!

Nothing 'Rots' when buried, its consumed by the organisms of the earth and turned elemental and what a strange name for the section of time after some one is buried! Wake!

Off topic, but the word wake doesn't refer to the deceased, it refers to the old tradition of a person staying awake with the body all night before burial to ensure that the soul is not taken by the devil or evil spirits.

Guest Dr Benways Assistant

"Some elements in the press have since accused him of foisting atheism on the pupils"

Don't tell me we have creationist newspapers now? My guess would be the Daily Star.

Probably. But lets be honest, if you read the Daily Star I reckon being a creationist is probably the least of your problems.

Edited by Boojum

A tool for what?! :blub:

Off topic, but the word wake doesn't refer to the deceased, it refers to the old tradition of a person staying awake with the body all night before burial to ensure that the soul is not taken by the devil or evil spirits.

Thanks booj :rofl:

Perhaps one day, if there is a God, it will reveal itself to humanity. Needn't do so materially, if there is a God and it is, by definition, omnipotent it could just place the knowledge of its existence in everyones mind, if it so chose.

Not very likely though is it?

Of all the religions i've read into, Cantheism is the one for me.

I believe in God always have done and yet i do not deny science.

I wasn't bought up religious, I may have song the odd hymn at school but i have always had this feeling/belief that there is more to life.

I can't help but think that all these people who call themselves athiest will all say a prayer when that moment comes.

"I'm know theologion. I don't know what God is exactly, but i know he's a force more powerful than mum and dad combined and you owe him big!" --Lisa Simpson

But i don't believe in preaching. Religion is a personal thing and shouldn't be forced upon anyone.

Guest dr rockster

I dunno Militant mate,I was raised Catholic but am recovering nicely and my family have been told that on my death no fucking priest/witch doctor

is allowed anywhere near my dead/dying body.

Some dick tries to give me last rites and I'll come back to haunt the fucker!

Oh hang on,that can't be right! :spliff:

Edited by dr rockster

I am actually a born again christian that has converted to atheism, i kid you not

Me too. More like brainwashed child converted to atheism in my case.

Nice one Clarity, dont actually know that many folks that have seen the crazyness of their ways, all my old 'believer' friends are still wasting their time and money on the totally implausable, the closest friends from that time for some reason think I've been attacked by the devil, rather than having a fit of common sense.

OKay without wading into any debate that is going on here is my very tired 2p.

I find many of the extremely vocal atheists almost as bad as the preaching of many religious extremists for several reasons

1) They are incrediably disrespectful toward peoples beliefs

2) Many are extremely patronising and talk in an irritating manner

Almost to the point where I begin to believe that there has to be absolutes, absolute respect for everyone's opinions and I'm sorry but they don't respect people.

(note: I'm mainly referring to respect in their belief in 'God', rather than the details of their religion)

And the crux of this for me is that quite frankly they know very little themselves even though they proclaim to be the bastion of reason and fountain of knowledge. They don't know why we're here. They can't explain it beyond evolution and frankly evolution doesn't give you any answer as to why you exist beyond evolution itself and there is a need for that explanation, that is ONE of the reasons religion exists, because of the inherent uncertainty in existance.

Many acknowedge this inherent uncertainty but preach that you should not believe in a God. Most I know of detest theists and few few sympathise with deists. Science can only go sofar in explaining existance, I believe it's simply beyond our comprehension to comprehend the reality of 'existance' and I think the evidence (OUR STUPIDITY) is evidence enough.

The question to atheists I'd pose is, do you think humankind will ever get a certain answer to why the universe is here? Forget evolution, evolution is just a temperal process, a product of the existance of the universe. There could be a million big bangs beyond the big bang. Maths suggests there are many many universes, do the atheists 'believe' we will ever be able to comprehend them? Thus do they really think we'll ever be able to fully comprehend why we're here and indeed whether there really is a God. comprehension verses belief.

I also find it slightly disturbing that there are so many atheists among users of mind altering substances. Science is still unable to explain what you experience on some of those drugs and... may never.

I personally think athiesm is extreme. And imo most atheists are still open to the 'possibility' of there being a God thus, they're all agnostic. I haven't met an athiest who doesn't think there is a 'possibility', and even Richard Dawkins holds this 'belief'.

Edited by soto