The Atheism Thread

Guest roger

where do you stand?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was converted when I was 16, and of course life is not a fantastic ride following high profile preachers around the world, at one point I was on what they call the 'worship team' at a high profile british 'evangelical' church playing my bass guitar in front of sometimes as many as 5000 fellow believers, a few years ago I read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins and was totally convinces I was wasted years of my life following complete bollox, people would feint if I was honest about how much money I had given to 'the cause' following the oft preached message 'give till it hurts', I was already doubting the way of the universe when I met a partner way more intelligent than I, who challenged what I believed at a deep level, it was the book though that really convinced me.

eta: ps finger hash is rather more potent than I expected :wink:

Edited by Quagmire

Guest roger
a few years ago I read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins and was totally convinces I was wasted years of my life following complete bollox

He'd be proud :wink:

I am actually a born again christian that has converted to atheism, i kid you not

haha that is fucking great. we need more people like you to realize the absurdity of their religion.

Guest roger
I am actually a born again christian that has converted to atheism, i kid you not

haha that is fucking great. we need more people like you to realize the absurdity of their religion.

I wonder how many people are introduced to atheism at an early stage in life?

Were you? I bet it wasn't via your school....

it was the book though that really convinced me.

was there any one aspect of the book that held more sway with you?

Edited by roger

was there any one aspect of the book that held more sway with you?

Yes, when I properly understood how religion, and especially its scriptures treat women, I realised no god would ever be so one sided, how totally obsurd, and with that the road to there is no god really opened up.

Atheist/theist - two sides of the same coin. Both acts of faith. Absolute belief and absolute disbelief are both just as irrational, just as unwilling to see the other side of the coin, and both have their evangelists (Richard Dawkins is as evangelical in his disbelief as any fundamentalist evangelist). Without absolute proof either way (and there is no absolute proof one way or the other) the only open minded approach is agnosticism - at least that way you aren't pretending to know something that is by its very nature unknowable. I know all organised religion is man made, but that doesn't mean there is no 'god', it just means that all attempts to define it have thus far been misguided.

• Like 1

The closest I have ever got to it is this, some religions describe god as all powerful, everywhere and knowing everything. This is theoritically possible at the very point of big bang, but as soon as time begans its logic breaks down.

The closest I have ever got to it is this, some religions describe god as all powerful, everywhere and knowing everything. This is theoritically possible at the very point of big bang, but as soon as time begins its logic breaks down.

edit for stoner spelling mistakes and just being wrecked

Edited by Quagmire

Guest roger
I know all organised religion is man made, but that doesn't mean there is no 'god', it just means that all attempts to define it have thus far been misguided.

so can there ever be a correct attempt?

Who knows ? I certainly don't which is why I no longer choose to reject the possibility totally (as I once did, cos I once was a rabid athiest of the Richard Dawkins variety, that's why I know it's just as dogmatic as theism). Perhaps one day, if there is a God, it will reveal itself to humanity. Needn't do so materially, if there is a God and it is, by definition, omnipotent it could just place the knowledge of its existence in everyones mind, if it so chose. That's the point, as things stand we will never know if there is a God or not, but nobody knows what's gonna happen tomorrow. But as things stant the jury is out because there simply isn't sufficient evidence for a case, on either side of the theist/atheist trial.

Guest roger
Who knows ? I certainly don't which is why I no longer choose to reject the possibility totally (as I once did, cos I once was a rabid athiest of the Richard Dawkins variety, that's why I know it's just as dogmatic as theism). Perhaps one day, if there is a God, it will reveal itself to humanity. Needn't do so materially, if there is a God and it is, by definition, omnipotent it could just place the knowledge of its existence in everyones mind, if it so chose. That's the point, as things stand we will never know if there is a God or not, but nobody knows what's gonna happen tomorrow. But as things stant the jury is out because there simply isn't sufficient evidence for a case, on either side of the theist/atheist trial.

possibility is an interesting word, can you put it on a scale of 0 to 100, 100 being a god(s) exists?