Build A Contactor/relay

the d.o.c

sounds pretty legit, so worth a try, check it out before use still, & just get some pictures up if you're unsure of anything :yep:

right then

i've read through pages & pages of tech talk & tbh if i were a newbie, i wouldn't be any the wiser!

If you were a newbie, you wouldn't be any the wiser?? :stoned: Wow! maybe when I get to your status I'll be able to work it all out then.

if you can do better, let's see the designs!

What and have it ripped to bits on here? Not on your nelly!

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to see the original photos posted?!

I am looking to buy a 400w HPS and would need to buy a Contactor. But if i could build one cheaper this would be a bonus!

I understand what your doing wire wise but it would be nice to be able to see the pictures to reinforce the information.

Is there anything i can do to adjust the page settings making the photos visable??

or another thread that there working in?? Cheers :wink: any help would be smashing!

:spliff: GA

Edited by GrowAlone

I can't seem to see the original photos posted?!

I am looking to buy a 400w HPS and would need to buy a Contactor. But if i could build one cheaper this would be a bonus!

I understand what your doing wire wise but it would be nice to be able to see the pictures to reinforce the information.

Is there anything i can do to adjust the page settings making the photos visable??

or another thread that there working in?? Cheers :wub: any help would be smashing!

:unsure: GA

the whole idea just seems mental to me. ok if ur an electrician and could build just about anythin' but if not then the twenty quid extra spent on a proper contactor is money well spent for piece of mind. any stoner, myself included, will tell u at times they do the dumbest things and make simple errors that seem just stupid the next day. mixing this with high voltage electrics is just askin for trouble. I ask u...20 quid. one step too far i think. good luck anyway, i think a few of u might need it !!!

• 2 weeks later...

i vo got hold of a contactor, i was hoping someone could have a crack at explaining how to wire it........ :blushing:

some reason i can only view a few of the pics in the first few posts, and the one's i do get don't quite make sense without the others, :blushing:

Here's the pics of it,

There's a alot of information on the side of the contactor it's self stating it's general purpose =24amps 600V AC, post-35199-1224535956_thumb.jpg

Here's a few more pics of it,

post-35199-1224536878_thumb.jpgpost-35199-1224536828_thumb.jpg

Hope i can be pointed in the right direction about this, i was hoping it could at least be a temporary measure untill i can afford a proper contactor :blushing:

Peace GA

:blushing:

live from timer goes to a1 neutral from timer goes to a2.

live from mains goes into a terminal one side and out the other side, then back into the adjacent terminal and out the opposite side to your socket for your lamp.

wire the neutral from your mains supply through the remaining set of contacts.

what's the make and model of the contactor just to check it'll be ok?

live from timer goes to a1 neutral from timer goes to a2.

live from mains goes into a terminal one side and out the other side, then back into the adjacent terminal and out the opposite side to your socket for your lamp.

wire the neutral from your mains supply through the remaining set of contacts.

what's the make and model of the contactor just to check it'll be ok?

Cheers, i'll have a little go, if it's good enough :yinyang: , I've got 2 core, need a female socket, and what fuse do you use in the plugs? 13A or smaller?

It's a Lovato BF16, (does that sound right?) :yahoo: if not where will i be able to get the model name/number?

Of course i would probably post photos of it wired up before i plugged it in lol just in case, B)

Thanks in advance :yep:

Peace GA

:guitar:

Edited by GrowAlone

should be fine, doesn't list a contact material or peak current rating unfortunately, as it's intended solely for 3 phase motors, but should be perfectly fine for a single lamp

should be fine, doesn't list a contact material or peak current rating unfortunately, as it's intended solely for 3 phase motors, but should be perfectly fine for a single lamp

:( cheers mate i am getting the stuff i need soon i ll post if i have any problems......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there..... im once again having to build some new stuff, as I had a break in-bastards cleaned out my good equipment and totally blew my security- I did build a nice climate controller with the help of Whazzup and Scraglor, but the shed robbers took that-it was the only equipment I was really bothered about losing-aloing with my only Cheese(The "exodus cutting")mother and plants that were my "christmas smoke to be", I was going to post the grow when finshed along with all the info about the controller I built after it had successfully rnu through a crop-but sadly some dickless bastard decided it was not to be. Anyway enough of that, im not the 1st bloke to get his shed burgled(nor the only one round here that night) and I dont wanna bring you all down.

So Im going to build all new kit(gonna be mounted very securely with shear off top bolts, locked chains on all fans/filters/reflectors and going to be major but discrete security precautions in my gaff for sure)and Im collecting parts and going to start building it now so that its all ready for when I move, have got settled in and feel secure in my new place to grow again, This time Im going the whole hog and going to build a complete growroom system, Ive said it many times but this time Im going to go for it...Its only for a smallish home grow, but I want it to hang on the wall and control everything-even ballasts mounted inside(well vented that section of course) so that they cant be stolen).

Now The reasonIve posted in this thread is to ask about a contactor Ive been looking at,-Hopefully this link to TLC Direct will work, if not its a

"Wylex MESB40" Heres the link http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYMESB40.html and heres the data sheet for it http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Data...x/WylexMESB.pdf I just want to be certain that this contactor is OK, and that I am reading that little table correctly,that I can safely switch 4 X 400WattHPS or 3X 600WattHPS(600 numbers not listed but im guessing)with the Wylex MESB40. Its a pity Screwfix dont have em eh.... anyway My lightig controller component of my system would have to be a flip flop as I want to run 2 flower rooms, one running 12 hours, and the next running the next 12 hours, I dont see any Nc contacts listed on this contactor but Im guessing I could just buy 2 of them and wire one to each side of the switch on the timer(Grasslin flush mount 24Hr one ) switch so when the timer switches between the 2 contactors one set of lights switches on and one set switches off(Ive seen some guys in the states do this using one ballast to switch between 2 bulbs but I dont know how well that would go)... I just want to know, am I on the right path here guys or am I way off.

As always, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Edited by growguy yorks

There's enough power in the solenoid coil to break a small weld but not the spring. So what I did with my diy contactor was have the solenoid pull the contacts open for lights off, rather than the spring. Also lets me run stuff during lights out by connecting it to the timer. (Which is on during lights out.)

I also fitted a quencharc across the contacts, reduced the arcing heaps. Maplin call them something else, I forget. It's a 100R resistor in series with a 0.1uF capacitor. I'm making another contactor for the veg tent plus 1 as a spare. Is it ok to diy the quencharc? I've got 3w wirewound resistors, no voltage stated and 0.1uF 400v capcitors. Can't think of a reason they wouldn't work but thought I'd ask first.

Any chance of a list of brand name contactors with model numbers and the lighting they are suitable for please? Would be cool to have a sticky to reference...these contactors are suitable for 2 x 600w: a,b,c etc.