Cabinet materials

Jibber Jabber

Hi all,

Just in the middle of a cabinet planing discussition trying to work out the best material price traid off.

Help needed soon as ive got the rest of this week off and want to get it done and dusted by then

ThaNKS jj

sorry just got up this morning to discover my brian must have been in vauge mode last night.

my mate was saying last night that it might not be a good idea using MDF for the walls of my cabinet, as the humidity would make it split and peel.

does anyone know a way of avoiding this Protective paint etc. or a better material to use. or am i worrying about nothing?

Thanks JJ  :oldtoker:

Plywood it the best thing, you can even get marine grade ply if you are conserned with humidity.  MDF does fall apart when it gets wet.

If you want to keep the price down, you can use white matt emulsion paint, its suprisingly good at reflecting light.

I'd go with plywood jj. I f you use that pine be careful what you treat it with. Probably matt emulsion (to help keep moisture out hte wood and reflect light) on the inside and leave the out side untreated would be best.

I've got one built out of MDF but it's a veg chamber with fluoros - and small plants - so humidity and heat isn't a problem - but it would be in flowering.

Plywood is the best for the money - and painting it white as Ringo suggested - will save a lot of money. Also - paint it before you construct it - it's much easier.

tata!

i'd go for beech ply over pine if you can afford it as its tougher, stronger and will last you longer. i'd maybe put some linseed oil on it or some other sort of preservative or coating like a thin light varnish, but this is down to you, you could probably get away with using it untreated. if you dont want the hassle of treating it yourself and you think you will need to, just get marine plywood, which comes pre treated to prevent any sort of water damage such as warping, etc...

definately use mylar if you can afford it as well, it really is the dogs bollocks when it comes to reflecting light, if not upgrade to it when you can afford it, it will be worth your while in my opinion.

Wow ok :mad: few days

not sure whats happening with the new room just yet hit a minor hitch, buying the hydro pot kit skinted me :D

need to get a new temperery home, I have an old wardrobe think itll be just the job, but can't do until tomorrow (its too heavy).

i dont think my babies(now 17 days old) like the light being this close to them (about 18 inches). and the edges of the leaves are starting to curl up.

can anyone surgest a course of action.

Back to the growroom,

The set back i was talking about has at leased given me time to plan my room properly. os i shall keep you posted,

By the way Puffer what is Reflecta-gro, What does it do and where can i get it from.

JJ :oldtoker:

you need to raise your light a few inches to stop the leaf curl

and reflecta grow is for reflecting the light more efficiently back to your plants :thumbs:

Moved them to a new home it was going to be temporary but it looks the part and fits in well so i think i will leave it there 4 now.

the light is now about 3 1/5 foot from the tips now so they should like that (I hope) I have the light on a 18 Hour cycle at the moment and i'm looking to transplant them into the green mix tomorrow.

Thanks all JJ ;)

Guest THE PUFFER

Assuming this is not a flouro light...raise the light as it sounds like that old chestnut again..heatstress. Keep the plants at about 80% humidity (put a bowl of water in the GR). While they are vegging you can also spray the leaves with either plain water or a low nute mix....if spraying...KEEP AWAY FROM THE LIGHT, cos if water hits the hot bulb you can say goodbye to your good looks.

Mylar and Reflecte-gro are highly reflective (up to 95%..compared to 75% with white matt). Most growshops will sell it on a roll as a cut to size sheet. It won't last forever but makes good GR close off curtains.