What Is Reality?

sensi_sid

The filling of unforseesble space is expanding - time is up for debate. How much time does earth have left? Estimated at approx. 50 million years, give or take a few, the sun will eventually burn out, much like the rest of the energy in the universe, without enough power left in it to charge up another, if so then very short-lived. How much time do we really have left? I could walk out tomorrow and be hit by a London bus... baloon theory...

Does the universe constantly expand and then the combined attraction forces of all matter pull it back together only to start over again or will it expand constantly, filling the void until all energy is used and our universe just becomes a big cold dead place ?

Can all the energy be used up ? a moving body in space has kinetic (?) energy and with nothing to stop it and no friction will its energy be preserved forever ?

and could it ever go completely dark, as the light from stars travels, if it hits nothing then that light will always be there, until it is observed and by observing be absorbed and destroyed ?

Its the time thing that really gets me, a warm summer day spent with a new love, filled with happiness seems to last a few minutes, but the agony of being in pain and alone seems to last for ever.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sitting Buddha

• Hir

• Jay1911

• Culchi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The filling of unforseesble space is expanding - time is up for debate. How much time does earth have left? Estimated at approx. 50 million years, give or take a few, the sun will eventually burn out, much like the rest of the energy in the universe, without enough power left in it to charge up another, if so then very short-lived. How much time do we really have left? I could walk out tomorrow and be hit by a London bus... baloon theory...

Energy will never burn out, it will expand along with time.

Edited by Sitting Buddha

The point is I could be dead tomorow - wtf do I care? (Or anyone for that matter - you said it NG - b4 ne1 else says it)... FTW.

Energy will never burn out, just evolve ...

to travel at the speed of light a body can have no mass, and be only energy (Einstien) does it go therefore that if light energy was to be slowed down sufficiently t would regain mass ? Could it be that if the light energy from stars slowed down as it reached the out edges of the void it gains mass and turns into matter and possibly creates life again ?

Edited by Jay1911

Dunno dude - hypothetical question - I do know they reckon there's dust that travels through space at sub-light speed they'd like to build a spaceship out of - only worry is someone coming along with a tin of Mr Sheen...

Dunno dude - hypothetical question - I do know they reckon there's dust that travels through space at sub-light speed they'd like to build a spaceship out of - only worry is someone coming along with a tin of Mr Sheen...

:rofl: - we all come from dust and to dust we will return (space dust that is)

J :blub:

to travel at the speed of light a body can have no mass, and be only energy (Einstien) does it go therefore that if light energy was to be slowed down sufficiently t would regain mass ? Could it be that if the light energy from stars slowed down as it reached the out edges of the void it gains mass and turns into matter and possibly creates life again ?

I'm not a scientist, does light energy have a mass? If so, wouldn't slowing it down cause it to become unstable and the mass would seperate from the energy?

Edited by Sitting Buddha

The speed of light? I'm more worried about if my 400 wt HPS comes on in time or not... The speed of light is nothing in comparison to how dark it gets sometimes...

So, if you travel faster than light, dontcha have to wait 'til the light gets there before you see anything?

I'm not a scientist, does light energy have a mass? If so, wouldn't slowing it down cause it to become unstability and the mass would seperate from the energy?

am sure Einstein proved that to travel at the speed of light there could be no mass ?

I am sure that for a body to have no energy then all its atoms have to be still, can only happen at absolute zero ? but dont all the atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons etc..) still have energy so for all the energy to be gone all atoms would have to be split down to their most basic parts (quarks, leptons etc..) and to do this would require massive amounts of energy so does this mean that energy will always exist and maybe some sort of life ?

Unless, if the universe contracts and the huge energies involved in the collisions of all matter splits everything into its parts destroying all matter and energy ?

my head hurts now

Fair shallow perspective...reality, even if it isnt some maybe ultimate reality, is just what your senses percieve. Existance maybe something more. By this definition only you have your reality and the only way we are able to communicate is bacause realities are like venn digrams and overlap.

am sure Einstein proved that to travel at the speed of light there could be no mass ?

I am sure that for a body to have no energy then all its atoms have to be still, can only happen at absolute zero ? but dont all the atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons etc..) still have energy so for all the energy to be gone all atoms would have to be split down to their most basic parts (quarks, leptons etc..) and to do this would require massive amounts of energy so does this mean that energy will always exist and maybe some sort of life ?

Unless, if the universe contracts and the huge energies involved in the collisions of all matter splits everything into its parts destroying all matter and energy ?

my head hurts now

Einstien said that any body that has mass when accelerated towards the speed of light would tend to have an infinity mass