How To Make A Stealth Veg Cabinet On A Sunday Afternoon

established1976

Guest CoCoGrower

i know ill catch some flak, but here goes;

your box is a nightmare to be honest. there are a few problems that can be catastrophic in no time flat.

first is that you have the plug strip inside the box. thats just a bad idea seeing as how you will have high humidity in the box, not to mention a possible water leak. electricity and water dont mix, in any fashion.

secondly, you have your extraction fan right above the fan pumping air in. i guess you havent been taught that airflow will follow the shortest distance possible, so most of the air is going to hit only the plant on the right side of the box. you need air going across the box. you should have put the intake air hole on the left side, lower, front corner. the extraction fan should have been placed at the opposite corner, or the right, upper, rear corner.

third, youre runnin a cfl. cfl's, even 200 watt beasts (which i have 2 of), are only good for plants that will be only a foot tall. and even in sog gardens, plants will reach 18" or more by harvest time. 200 watt cfls produce 20k lumens, but at 1 foot, you only have 10k lumens. and ill tell you from experience, 200 watt cfl bulbs dont stay cool to the touch when they are on.

fourth, the box is gonna run hotter than you will probably be expecting, so heat is going to destroy your grow. unless you turn the thermostat down, but when you do that, you eat more power thru the a/c unit.

if it were my box, i would have put the strip on the back side, so i can easily plug/unplug things when i need to, and remove it from a harsh enviroment. i'd also get a light tube and invest in an hid light/ballast. 6" light tube with a 6" fan on the end will effectively cool a 400 watt hid without having to touch the thermostat. and like i said, id put my intake/exhaust holes on opposite sides, at opposite height.

your box is a nightmare to be honest. there are a few problems that can be catastrophic in no time flat.

thats a strong statement just there ... you come across as arrogant to me ... maybe you need to tone down the negativity on your future posts.

first is that you have the plug strip inside the box. thats just a bad idea seeing as how you will have high humidity in the box, not to mention a possible water leak. electricity and water dont mix, in any fashion.

As you will know if you read all the posts I considered the location of the electrics (inside/outside) and as I said last time it is more important for the unit to be self contained, its a 'stealth cabinet ... it would hardly be very stealth with all the wiring externally. As for water ... there will be no liquid water inside plants are watered outside the cabinet. For me personally high humidity inside the veg cabinet isnt a life/death situation, Im quite happy with 60% RH inside, Im not one to fit 'mini foggers' or such like, when my seedlings/clones are young they will be in a propagator which maintains its own high humidity (currently 80% plus)

secondly, you have your extraction fan right above the fan pumping air in. i guess you havent been taught that airflow will follow the shortest distance possible, so most of the air is going to hit only the plant on the right side of the box. you need air going across the box. you should have put the intake air hole on the left side, lower, front corner. the extraction fan should have been placed at the opposite corner, or the right, upper, rear corner.

again this wasnt an oversight ... if you read back ... "I decided to keep them both on the same so I didnt have too many wires running about". I have yet to fit a light baffle and circulating fan, you'd be suprised at the route the air takes already, I guess it bounces off the walls as when the lids off the propagator all the plants are moving with the breeze.

third, youre runnin a cfl. cfl's, even 200 watt beasts (which i have 2 of), are only good for plants that will be only a foot tall. and even in sog gardens, plants will reach 18" or more by harvest time. 200 watt cfls produce 20k lumens, but at 1 foot, you only have 10k lumens. and ill tell you from experience, 200 watt cfl bulbs dont stay cool to the touch when they are on.

Again you obviously either cant read or you too lazy too .... this is a clone/veg/mother room ... this cabinet for me gives me a 3-4 week heatstart on the next crop, its not to flower in and most of the time its not going to be doing 100% of the veg this is just to get the small plants going then they finish the veg under the hps in the flower drobe (18/6) before going 12/12, I also intend to keep some bonsai mothers in it, my 125w blue envirolite is plenty sufficient!

fourth, the box is gonna run hotter than you will probably be expecting, so heat is going to destroy your grow. unless you turn the thermostat down, but when you do that, you eat more power thru the a/c unit.

where the hell do you get that from? It currently runs at max 30c usually below 28c and thats in the middle of the day in a room that has central heating, its 8am and currently 25.2c it will get hotter towards noon yes ... I dont know where you getting some of your responses from ... what made you think I have a/c?

if it were my box, i'd also get a light tube and invest in an hid light/ballast. 6" light tube with a 6" fan on the end will effectively cool a 400 watt hid without having to touch the thermostat. and like i said, id put my intake/exhaust holes on opposite sides, at opposite height.

again if you READ before you post you will know I already have a 5" cooltube, 600w digi HPS, 2 x rvk, primair controller, etc etc etc in my flower drobe ....

post-22096-1189149016_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice, interesting filter, does it still extract ok?

yep no problems there, still not tested for negative pressure but the extract feels fine, these odorsoks are the best things to have as far as maximum airflow is concerned (even if they do have other weaknesses)

Guest CoCoGrower

im an honest individual, and you are easily slighted because maybe you dont have high self esteem. i dont know, but i was correct in saying your box is a nightmare.

how stealth can your box be if it catches fire? just curious...

and how stealth can it be if you have to take the plants out of the box to water them?

you have 2 fans with 2 wires each, for a total of 4 wires. each fan needs its 2 wire feed, so you will always have 4 wires. besides, all you have to do is turn the fan around for it to push the other way. what does that have to do with wires?

your 125 watt envirolight is garbage. you could cut a week off of veg time if you had either a larger cfl, or an hid with more lumens. try to place them closer to the plants also.

for the heat...that was just a base assumption.

your other box is a waste of space in my opinion. its too tall to house what little you got going, or youre not going to have a strong enough light to properly develop flower sites towards the bottom of the plants. you are not a very efficient person, but thats ok, cause ignorance is bliss.

for a stealth box maybe you should have put more thought into it. for starters the plug strip should be higher in the box. you should have put simple crown molding inside the box to run your wires behind. the holes for fresh air are in the wrong spot. for a box built for clones/early veg, it should have been more squat, while being longer, and not as deep. flouro tubes would have also run cooler, drawing less watts and been more effective than a single bulb. a shorter, longer, less deep box would also be easier to conceal, further promoting the stealthness of your operation.

im from america, where we have a/c units.

Nice thread e 1976..This has helped inspire my veg box adventure..Good luck.

PS i also like your flowering drobe...Don't listen to any negative and moronic remarks from anybody... :ouch:

• Like 2

how stealth can your box be if it catches fire? just curious...

it wont

and how stealth can it be if you have to take the plants out of the box to water them?

i cant see how that makes a difference, even if they were watered inside the cabinet does that mean its not stealthy because you have to open the door to water them

you have 2 fans with 2 wires each, for a total of 4 wires. each fan needs its 2 wire feed, so you will always have 4 wires. besides, all you have to do is turn the fan around for it to push the other way. what does that have to do with wires?

not sure what you're on about here

your 125 watt envirolight is garbage. you could cut a week off of veg time if you had either a larger cfl, or an hid with more lumens. try to place them closer to the plants also.

ok 125w enviro is no good for veg, I guess im the only one who uses one.

your other box is a waste of space in my opinion. its too tall to house what little you got going, or youre not going to have a strong enough light to properly develop flower sites towards the bottom of the plants. you are not a very efficient person, but thats ok, cause ignorance is bliss.

never heard of a grow drobe thats too tall before this must be a first, currently got 130cm plants (including pots) going on 4 weeks into flower and these are an indica strain, i cant get anything more powerful than a 600w HPS inside it, I'd love to set the whole room out but Im limited to a drobe which I'd say is larger than the average and its doing fine so far.

post-22096-1189199848_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1189199891_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

coco grower your a complete *&%$£* an obviously dont know wat your talkin bout,

est 1976 i like it mate looks the bollocks just cause were not a* pupils at the amsterdam cannabis college doesnt mean we cant grow some decent bud, keep up the good work.

newbudda :stoned:

Edited by newbudda

this guy says the largest he can get into his flower box is a 600w. dead wrong. he can put a 1000watt in there and be perfectly fine. his plants are 130cm high, or 4 feet in my world. he said that includes the container, so we can say the plants are 90cm's high, or 3 foot. 600 watt hps lights are only good for 24" of light off the bulb, meaning that with the bulb sitting 6" off the plant, he should only have 18" of bud sites on his plants for good bud development. a 3 foot plant, that hasnt been trimmed or trained, is going to have fluffy, worthless bud covering nearly half the plant. he also has piss poor reflectors in both boxes.

listen, you guys still dont understand what highly efficient grow setups look like, or are capable of. he is using a 125 watt cfl to grow clones and slight veg...the same could have been done with 40 watts, more efficiently, in a box that would have been tight enough to slide underneath a bed for maximum stealthness. maybe i know this because ive been there and done that. maybe i started out with stealth boxes 4 years ago, and have progressed to 10x10 rooms with 4 600 watt hps lights all air cooled using 2 6" vortex fans with 2 can can 66 carbon filters who gets 2 lbs per 600 watt hps.

im only at this site because i would like to further educate myself about grow techniques, or maybe get a different perspective about growing. but this site is a wash. im depressed everyday because advanced nutrients shut down their site, disallowing me the ability to talk with people who actually know what they are talking about.

there's no pleasing some people, my light in my veg box is too powerful, my flower box the light isnt powerful enough :) you're right my enviroments aint ideal but I got to work with what I got, the general concenseus seems to be a 600w air cooled is biggest you can get in a wardrobe. I notice a 600w is not powerful enough when I have one but when you got 4 thats ok is it, I think you should be using 4 x 1000w Im not trying to tell you how to set your grow room up ... infact I am you need 4 x 1000w, it sounds like a complete nightmare to be honest, how can you expect to grow anything but fluffy worthless bud from those crappy 600w lamps? I wish I could use a whole room but Im only trying to grow meself some percy and a drobe is a convenient way for me to be self sufficient with my circumstances (children/lack of room etc)

Edited by established1976
  • Like 3

yo established1976 homeboy, what are you like thinkin man? your whole beautifully crafted box is like trash on the sidewalk - bub!

is that earth your using? anyone who knows anything knows hydro is far more stealthy. all you have to do is be wet!

and whats up with your wires man? you need at least 16 wires dude! 4 wires is still 4, but 4x4 is like a plank :rofl:

cowabunga pizzatime man - have you like never even heard of like supersize ?

man, its such like a total downer how like ignorantoppinionattedmorons.com shut down their site. at least people there knew why i was like talking at all...

im just here to expand my knowledge and see other folks ways of growin so i can tell them theyre like WRONG!

lol

*sighs...*

kepp it up E. strong in the face of adversity and all that ;)

;)

:yahoo:;) you still hear coco grower, :rofl: your not doin much too help yourself on here, top 2% lol;) 2 books an 1 dvd :D is that it :) ive read 3 books 4 mags an watched 6 dvds so i know everything including the fact your an arrogant, ignorant idiot. :rofl: