Trichoderma Harzianum & Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizas

Felix Dzerzhinsky

yeh i thought as much cheers randalizer . i have also come to own another kind of freeze dried culture . its called no mercy bacteria. anyone herd of it ? it says its just bacteria so ill only need molasses ?

gdg

yeh looking to do a brew with this no mercy in the next few days. ive got a the maxicrop seaweed but its the one with added iron,is the iron going to affect the process ????and im buying lyles black treacle tomorrow .

also do i need a infusion pump that has an air stone ive only got some little one that sits inside the bucket with some foam on the top. is that gonna be aright? and who do i talk to about getting some essence?

gdg cheers

also do i need a infusion pump that has an air stone ive only got some little one that sits inside the bucket with some foam on the top. is that gonna be aright? and who do i talk to about getting some essence?

gdg cheers

iron shouldn't be a problem

you want foam on the top. Read this if you still have questions.

webby (the pervert) has the essence. Drop him a pm.

• 2 weeks later...

how do you make webby's essence? or were can i get it from???

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

i have been everywere but cant find it??

i have sent webby a pm, but i cant help feeling a little paranoid, that i am having the P**s taken out of me?

and this poor chap is being inundated with messages for his essence. :ouch:

Edited by mr munchie

• 2 weeks later...

what a thread felix, invaluable fungi fun!!

i have just put some info together from this thread,just a quick recap for mycorrhizas &trichoderma,this thread should be made into a faq!if it has not been already.

VAM’s or endo and ecto mycorrhizae-rootgrow

VAM’s or endo and ecto mycorrhizae grow inside the plant and extend hypha into the soil ie they become part of the plant, extracting nutrients from the soil and transporting them to the plant, its like the plant having many more roots, they are not, the hypha are in addition the normal roots in turn the plant supplies the fungi with carbohydrates. Its a symbiotic relationship.

Once roots are inoculated with these fungi and symbiosis has started, the fungi grow both in the soil and also inside the plant becoming part of the plant! ie the roots of a tiny acorn inoculated as it sprouts, te same fungi will occupy the entire root mass of the oak tree 500 years later.

trichoderma

Plants whose roots are colonised trichoderma will have a larger rootmass, are protected and free of pathogenic infections. So they will work at the best possible efficiency. When used in combination with endo +ecto Mycorrhizal’s the additional hypha can increase the effect of the rootmass by 7 fold, it depends on the volume the root/Mycorrhizal’s have to grow in.

Trichoderma live on plant surfaces, they are more like a bacteria than fungi and pray on pathogenic fungi. So when they are colonised in the root zone they give protection against things like pythium etc. So there is no or little root loss due to pathogens. This will not cause a nutrient excess, neither will VAM’s.

The additional root mass will make more effective use nutrients in the soil or compost, but this will not cause leaf burn unless there are large out of balance nutrient reserves in the soil. The plant top will just grow in balance with its root mass.

If fed with fertilisers, much less will be needed than plants with a smaller root mass as uptake is much faster, It is also much easier to over do it especially with chemical salt fertilisers, also more care is needed with organic inputs where the nutrients are in an immediate ready to use form, these are know as fast acting. Two most common are dried blood or blood meal can release nitrogen as fast as a plant can take it, also seaweed extracts and fine blended seaweed meal especially where it contains dust can release potassium very rapidly, especially if there is an active microbial population in the soil or compost.

Trichoderma are a predatory fungi that only occupy the root zone, they are not symbionts, they can also be used to protect the aerial surface of the plant, ie if spores are sprayed on the leaf and bark surfaces will colonise and protect against pathogenic fungi, as new leaves are formed these will need spraying as these fungi do not tend to spread much either in the root or aerial zones.

trichoderma application

Ideally start bubbling in a vigorous airflow with a bacterial inoculant(rootgrow) and wait until the populations climb and you can see foam forming on the surface. just before spraying add the trichoderma so that the spores don't have a chance to germinate before they are sprayed onto the leaf surfaces.

Edited by hodcorehoddy

Hi everyone, my head aches but tis a good ache, two and a half days reading this/links, normalising, copious tea drinking, letting the essence distil, epic, truly epic thread and, for the most part, interesting enough to hold your attention.

Thank you everyone who has contributed especially the utterly confused and formerly misled individuals, such as myself who now begin to understand how to improve/defend your plants root systems without resorting to unpleasant and unwanted chemical warfare.

As per usual it would seem thorough preparation and active prevention can add up to a healthier life for your plants, this makes me happier too.

Stupidly I have rambled my thanks to various major contributors, to this, linked and other threads, in my first response to my introductory post.

Took me a day to work out how to do that... doh!

So not wanting to repeat too much. Cheers Everyone, tis sincere and deserved

Now should you bother to check, dont be offended if you dont get a personal thanks, I was too busy bubbling the the threads importance to recall everyone, not blessed with the photographic memory am I, mores the pity, some 'top pics dere' ladies, gents and aliens, we know your out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong;

Trichoderma Harzianum (T 22 particularly) Pathogenic fungus, (Eats other fungus likely to detrimentally affect my girlies) sounds like one of the good guys.

To apply, water into the root mass at each potting up in a drench/ aeriated tea, it would appear much more effective to multiply bacteria in a tea prior to coarse spray/drench, also of some use as a foliar defense against rust spot/lsf, aerial fungi when applied to the aerial parts of the plant again this is a localised application and must be repeated if new growth is to be protected.

This said trichoderma would appear to be much better suited to life beneath the soil in the rootmass and grow around the plants root area preying on any fungal competition unwise enough to want to try and colonise the same plant.

These babies have a sweet tooth and appreciate a dose of molasses when brewing and from time to time during both grow and bloom periods.

VAMs (Vascular Arbuscule (Doncha just love that word) Mycorrizae) for there are many types. actually invade your girlies and steal a little carbohydrate, which they need to survive and cannot produce for themselves.

In return for this they increase the relative size of the rootmass and provide the capability for processing minerals locked in the soil into plant digestible material, a fair exchange is no robbery etc.

These friendly fungii are systemic (grow with and throughout the plant once infected) and can be introduced to your girlies in a number of ways, the application should be a once only event at first potting up if soil conditions are appropriate, the spore need direct contact with the rootmass very soon after germinating or their application will not be effcctive, dormant spore can be sprinkled direct onto the roots or previously infected root material can be introduced to the 'victims' rootball.

One exception to this once only infection regime is if the plant is in a highly acid soil, large percentage peat composts for example, reason being the mycorrizae are not tolerant of this enviroment, it is not the best for your girlies either.

If my understanding is complete these fungie like a diet of seaweed juice just to give them a boosted start in life, specifically extract as they will be able to break down mineral content in the compost when established.

At best it would seem that a combination of applications of these organisms can improve rootmass up to sevenfold, according to OT1, and who am I to question his knowledge yet? Will need a test period to evaluate what has been absorbed but they do say your roots are a reflection of your plants.

Do tell if I have it now or have added to the confusion.

Fantastic source peeps :stoned::toldya: mentiras :blushing:

This thread takes a long time to read but it's definitely invaluable information. It opened my mind to a whole new world. As several have said before me, it's just goes to show what can be accoplished here when people work together. I won't name any names but just say a big THanks to all involved. :yep::D

I wasn't sure about mentioning the namebrand but I purchased a product that has the trichoderma and mycos mixed together and I want to apply into the medium for longterm prevention and treatment, but I also want to mix a seperate batch (if necessary) for immediate application to the leaves.

This product contains:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Mycorrhiza:

Endomycorrhiza/cc

Glomus aggregatum……………………8 spores per cc

Glomus intraradices……………………8 spores per cc

Glomus mosseae……………………….8 spores per cc

Glomus entunicatum…………………...8 spores per cc

Glomus monosporum………………..…2 spores per cc

Glomus deserticola…………………..…2 spores per cc

Glomus clarum…………………………2 spores per cc

Tricoderma:

Trichoderma koningii 187,000 spores per cc

Trichoderma harzianum 187,000 spores per cc

Bacteria:

Bacillus subtillus……………………………...50,000 cfu/cc

Bactillus licheniformis………………………..50,000 cfu/cc

Bactillus azotoformans………………………..50,000 cfu/cc

Bactillus megaterium………………………….50,000 cfu/cc

Bactillus coagulans……………………………50,000 cfu/cc

Bactillus pumilis………………………………50,000 cfu/cc

Bactillus polymyxa……………………………50,000 cfu/cc

Sachromyces cervisiae……………………..…50,000 cfu/cc

Streptomyces griseus…………………………50,000 cfu/cc

S.treptomyces lydicus……………………...…50,000 cfu/cc

Pseudomonas aurofaceans……………………50,000 cfu/cc

Pseudomonas fluorescence…………………...50,000 cfu/cc

And the product's instructions aren't very specific at all about this so I wanted to check with you guys first.

My questions are:

1. Since this is all mixed together and I can't isolate the trichoderma from the mycorrhizae or bacteria, should I brew it like essence and just use the excess for applying to soil? Or should I brew a second batch in a different way to benefit the trichoderma for foliar srpaying? I got the impression that the root brew needs warming and molasses and aeration to activate it, where as the foliar spray is more fragile to being aerated and bursting. :) I'm having problems wrapping my head around it and remembering which is which.

2. This might be a real dumb question but, for those of us with no pump sprayer, would it be ok to just dip the entire cutting/seedling into the foliar brew, instead of using a trigger spray bottle or spoon? wasn't sure if this would hurt more than help.

I'm pretty sure I have everything I need. Molasses, air bubblers, coco wetting agent, and the spores/bacteria.

Sorry for the long post :wink:

Edited by Artenius

Hi Artenius,

I may be wrong but as far as I understand it bacteria enjoy brewing but mycorrhizal fungi like Glomus Sp don't and need to come in contact with roots very soon after germinating. I think I read somewhere in the thread that mycorrhizal products can be dusted on the roots at potting up or placed in the new planting hole.

Brew for leaf treatment, sprinkle on roots for mycorrhizals.

Well, I'm not sure if the stuff I got will work. It didn't froth at all during the brewing. I had problems getting the temperature above 26ºC which might be the cause of no frothing. I let it brew anyway and applied it so we'll see.

edit to add: LSF Sucks!

Edited by Artenius

• 1 month later...

This seems worth adding - I just found it whilst looking into Fish Emulsion (looking to an alternative to Fishmix that I can get from a garden centre)

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/klu/...000002/05118395

It seems rhizobacteria love Fish Emulsion. Havn't figured what to do with this info yet, but it looks like it might be handy all round lol

Abstract:

Commercial fish emulsion was evaluated as a plant growth medium and as a nutrient base to enhance radish (Raphanus sativus L. var. sativus) growth by bacterial and actinomycete isolates. Six bacterial isolates including three actinomycetes were selected from a screening of 54 bacteria (including 23 actinomycetes) based on their ability to produce plant growth regulators (PGRs) and to colonize radish roots. These isolates were tested in the presence and absence of autoclaved or non-autoclaved fish emulsion or inorganic fertilizers. The nutrient contents and types and levels of PGRs in tissues of treated plants were assayed to determine the basis of growth promotion. Fish emulsion was found to support plant growth in a sandy soil as effectively as an applied inorganic fertilizer. The plant growth promotion by bacterial and actinomycete isolates was most pronounced in the presence of autoclaved or non-autoclaved fish emulsion than in the presence of the inorganic fertilizers. The bacterial and actinomycete isolates were capable of producing auxins, gibberellins and cytokinins and appeared to use fish emulsion as a source of nutrients and precursors for PGRs. PGR levels in planta following combined treatments of the bacterial and actinomycete isolates and fish emulsion were found to be significantly enhanced over other treatments. The effect of fish emulsion appears to be more related to its role as a nutrient base for the bacterial and actinomycete isolates rather than to the increased activity of the general microflora of treated soil. This is the first report of fish emulsion as a nutrient base for plant growth promoting rhizobacteria. These results also indicate that the successful treatment can be effective and economical for horticultural production in sandy soils such as those found in the United Arab Emirates where fish emulsion is already in use as a substitute or supplement for inorganic fertilizer.

Keywords: inorganic fertilizer; microbial activity; plant growth regulators; plant nutrients; rhizosphere competence; root colonization

Language: English

Document Type: Research article

Affiliations: 1: Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, United Arab Emirates University, Al-Ain, 17551, United Arab Emirates;Permanent address of the first and second authors: Department of Microbiology and Botany, respectively, Faculty of Science, University 2: School of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Division of Science and Engineering, Murdoch University, Murdoch, W.A., 6150, Australia 3: Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, School of Earth and Geographical Sciences, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, W.A., 6009, Australia;Corresponding author FAX No: 89-380-10

Happy growings all :smoke:

Nice find Arbuscule :yep:

I like the fact that soil bacteria use the fish emulsion as a nutrient base to produce other more interesting (from our point of view) chemicals like plant growth regulators. Ties in nicely with the whole 'Feed the compost" idea :yep:

:yep:

I've just finished my crop off using nowt but Fishmix for the last 3 weeks or so.

Think I'll do Fishmix the whole way next time.

• 2 weeks later...