Democracy

kilgore trout

Guest Gert Lush
It may be the best elected dictatorship there is, in your opinion, it still isn't a democracy.

So what is?

Are you saying that there never has been, nor ever will be a democracy?

What would it take for you to call something a democracy?

I mean, if 600 tokers were voted in as MPs, they'd be running the country, no?

So why is it not a democracy? Because "your" party didn't win? :band:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lizard

• Culchi

• kilgore trout

• Boojum

So what is?

Are you saying that there never has been, nor ever will be a democracy?

What would it take for you to call something a democracy?

I mean, if 600 tokers were voted in as MPs, they'd be running the country, no?

So why is it not a democracy? Because "your" party didn't win? :toot:

well that's the illusion, but you rather neatly neglect to mention the role that the media has to play in all of this, it's not a level playing field is it ?

kinda hard to put your point accross when the only people getting coverage are the main 2 parties, it's a big old stitch up and you seem to have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

another vote for anarchy here. :band:

Guest Gert Lush
well that's the illusion, but you rather neatly neglect to mention the role that the media has to play in all of this, it's not a level playing field is it ?

kinda hard to put your point accross when the only people getting coverage are the main 2 parties, it's a big old stitch up and you seem to have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

another vote for anarchy here. :applause:

Not sure I follow you, there, Lizard.

* Are you saying a democracy shouldn't have media?

* Or are you saying democracy is a bad thing, we should have anarchy instead?

(BTW, you can't vote for anarchy - not unless it's a democratic party, which, in my view it isn't)

Not sure I follow you, there, Lizard.

* Are you saying a democracy shouldn't have media?

* Or are you saying democracy is a bad thing, we should have anarchy instead?

I'm saying that a lot of politics in the UK is controlled by the media.

(BTW, you can't vote for anarchy - not unless it's a democratic party, which, in my view it isn't)

be pedantic if you like but I'd be very surprised if you didn't know what I meant by that statement. :applause:

Guest Gert Lush
I'm saying that a lot of politics in the UK is controlled by the media.

Yes, but isn't that one of the main parts of "democracy"? The various "parties" are allowed to voice their views through media. Freedom of the press and all that. The media is very democratic, the public vote for it with their feet/purses.

You can't call something "undemocratic" just coz it desn't agree with you!

Funnily enough, though, that seems to be most peoples' definition...:applause:

be pedantic if you like but I'd be very surprised if you didn't know what I meant by that statement. :wink:

I'm not being pedantic, I seriously don't know what you mean.

In a way, the way I see it, we are actually living in a state of anarchy - by definition. There is no "Law" that anyone seriously intent on breaking/bending cannot do so, given enough effort/dedication. The multinationals know that well, and they are, in a sense, the top predators in this anarchy. All the nicey-nicey stuff we build (democracy, etc) is built on top of this bedrock of anarchy, so your vote for anarchy has actually borne fruit, it seems... :wink:

Yes, but isn't that one of the main parts of "democracy"? The various "parties" are allowed to voice their views through media. Freedom of the press and all that. The media is very democratic, the public vote for it with their feet/purses.

You can't call something "undemocratic" just coz it desn't agree with you!

Funnily enough, though, that seems to be most peoples' definition...:applause:

the media is democratic when the vast majority of it is controllled by one man ? that's a dictatorship look it up in the dictionary.

just because people buy the papers means nothing they'll buy any old shit if that's all that's available, people being told what to think by the media isn't a democracy it's mass control.

:wink:

as for the anarchy statement I was merely saying if I had a real choice that would be mine, sorry you found that so difficult to understand I'll try and use less words next time.

Edited by Lizard

Guest Gert Lush
the media is democratic when the vast majority of it is controllled by one man?

Why not? Democracy allows you to give a mandate to a leader, whether that be a politico or a publisher.

And anyway, most people would HATE a world without YouTube, Simpsons, Sky and Big Brother. So Murdoch is extremely democratic, he gives people just what they want.

that's a dictatorship look it up in the dictionary.

No mate, you go back and finish reading that definition. Dictatorship is when it's imposed regardless of what people want. Most people seem quite content with their lot to me. Just coz YOU don't like peoples' way of doing democracy, doesn't mean it's not democracy....

as for the anarchy statement I was merely saying if I had a real choice that would be mine

What would be your choice? Anarchy? But we've got that already, and you don't seem to be enjoying it...

Unless by "anarchy" you mean having a bunch of slaves that fetch your rattle every time you throw it out the pram. (Seems quite a popular definition of anarchy :ninja:)

governments they the biggest criminal out there they all stink 3rd rule to them all if ya ask me

revolution :ninja:

governments and politicians i just hate them full of lol

government and any system of control anything that allows individual adults to have power over other individual adults is a cancer and it needs to be cut out before it destroys us all.

Guest Gert Lush
you're just going round in circles now, have fun chasing your tail. lol

Why am I going round in circles? Because you haven't answered a single one of my questions? Haha, nice one!

Do you have even an inkling of an idea of what you mean by anarchy? Hm, I thought not.

Anyway, I'm outa here, it seems the only acceptable answer is "guvinmunt iz all cuntz" :ninja:

Well, yeah, it is... it's called democracy, live with it....

There's places where you'd be shot just for saying so.

Why am I going round in circles? Because you haven't answered a single one of my questions? Haha, nice one!

Do you have even an inkling of an idea of what you mean by anarchy? Hm, I thought not.

Anyway, I'm outa here, it seems the only acceptable answer is "guvinmunt iz all cuntz" :ninja:

Well, yeah, it is... it's called democracy, live with it....

There's places where you'd be shot just for saying so.

there is a better way but just like most other people your fear prevents you from seeing it, I pity you really.

Anarchy's a lot more fun than rattle-throwing - it's the next best thing to absolute chaos. Have to say though, having though about it, definitely a utopian society for me - democracy doesn't seem to all for the fact that the majority of people round here smoke dope.

Guest dr rockster

Whingeing Westerners pffha!

Shit we've got SO much in relative democratic terms when compared to others countries.

Go live in Palestine,next door to Israel,the South Africa of the Middle East and have them turn your lands into ungovernable isolated Bantustans.

Moan away then by all means but for all its faults we live in the best system presently on the planet when compared to others.

Fuck yes things are far from perfect but I'd rather be tried for an alleged crime in this country than many supposedly democratic others,we have a concept of human rights better than many as well.

Shit,at least Britain ain't America..............................................yet! :guitar: