ozone generator

elohim

Hi people

I need to build an ozone generator and I'm looking for some advice on where to get the parts in the uk as cheaply as possible..

Any advice would be monstrously appreciated...

cheers chaps

Just had a quick browse but didn't find anything particularly useful.  U can get ozone machines designed for cleaning water coolers, could you possibley buy and mod one of them?

Alternatively, most of the guys round here swear by City Electrical Factors (CEF)  www.cef.co.uk

They have branches in most reasnoble sized towns and sell virtually everything!

Hope this helps

Splan  :oldtoker:

I know this aint exactley cheap, but for £49.99 argos sell a hepa air filter with built in ioniser, it takes 95% of all air bourne particles from a 56 square meter room, that means no more skunk type odours and the boost to the ladies that ionisers provide. For smaller rooms for £10 less you can get one that does 36 square meters. I have one for my living room and it clears smoke and pet smells in under 20 mins after turning on. It can be run constantly using only 33-50watts depending on the setting and also has the advantage of a built in extractor fan.  :oldtoker: I will try it in my grow setup nest time round :P

....and ozone generators can be dangerous a) 'cos of the amount of power involved and b) 'cos ozone is poisonous if it builds up too much.

ionisers more like it for saftey but not as effective for removing the smell

I looked into this a while ago.

The best solution I found is UV tubes, not the party type but special ozone generating ones. They are uncoated (clear) and are made from a special glass that lets evil uv rays through.  

The problem is these are vey hard to come across and they are not that cheap, but they are a lot cheaper than other methods of ozone production.  

The tubes are called somthing like 'germicidal', I think the ones used to erase eprom chips are the same.

I thought for a long time about building an ozone generator but in the end just went for low-odour plants!

You'd need a box to put the tube in and a flourescent light fitting, and a fan to blow air through the box over the tube.  

If you do try this DO NOT look at the tube when its on, it is very damaging to your eyes.

As for ion generators, they are not good for removing smells, they remove particles like smoke etc.  Ozone is a bit like bleach and works in a different way.

To remove the smell - the carbon filter/extractor fan combination from Growell is effective - though expensive at about £160 for the combination.

However - it's worth it as its durable and works - I had to do something about the smell which can knock you off your feet when you open the front door.

:0