recommended reading.

solarchild

"Brave New World" by Aldous Houxley

It's a short book, very easy to read...and definitely a classic.

Also "LSD-My problem child" by Albert Hofmann if your into psychadelics..

P.S Thanks for the long list of good reads, I'm always looking for a good book..and I seem to always just pick out randoms.

Now maybe I'll have an idea of what Im looking for next time I visit the Library or bookstore ;)

<3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boojum

• Father McPot

• utokia

• TheBinman

Guest Dr Benways Assistant
if there is one book i could send to everyone here it would be Into The Silent Lands by Paul Broks.

i picked it up for a glance during a quiet spell working in a bookshop and ten minutes later was still reading as the lady at the till repeated "Excuse me!"

the first chapter is here and i defy anyone not to continue after the first 500 words.

Just read that chapter and now realise I have to buy the book, brilliant stuff tsk. Everyone else if you have the time read that it's really funny, smart as hell and incredibly interesting.

I would recommend The Adding Machine by William S Burroughs, a collection of essays and musings by the old man in my avatar, genius.

Edited by Dr Benways Assistant

Guest dr rockster

Noddy,My Mutant Killer Skunk Hell.(Won Daily Mail Prize for Literature)(Foreward by Big Ears,now rehabilitated) ;)

But seriously folks.........In Search Of The Assasin,by Suzie Morgan.

The true story of a very brave young journalist who is blown up at a press meeting of western journalists

by the CIA in a classic false flag operation on the El Salvador/Nicaraguan border during Reagans presidency.

You like conspiracies?

Then this book is for you. :yep:

the KJV of the bible that was written after jesus was crucified,try not to go to deep into it,wish it had pictures ;)

al queda by jason burke. destroys myths and fables surrounding this so called "organisation of mass proportion" very informative slightly hard going but very interesting. enlightening if nothing else

Anything by Bill Bryson - he's had me almost peeing myself, literally!

...Especially his earlier books. I've read them all. If you read 'A Walk In The Woods' - you'll associate Kats (his pal)with someone that you know... it may even be you! (my favourite)

'A Short History of Nearly Everything' - some amazing and sometimes funny facts.

But honestly ANYTHING by him is on my read list, I can't wait until he brings out a new book.

the damage done by Warren Fellows:

auto biography/true story of young drugs courrier (fellows) and his mate caught attempting to smuggle 8.5 kg of grade 4 heroin from bangkok to australia. very scary stuff describing the 12 yrs he spent in the thai prison system. the story is very similar to that of billy hase caught smuggling heroin in turkey (midnight express) but much better imo. well worth a go. best book i've read in a while.

Can some people please note that this is a thread for recommending books that are related to this forum,namely Theology,Metaphysics and Philosophy and not a general book recommendation thread :blub:

Guest dr rockster
Third Eye by T. Lobsang Rampa

I read the Thirteenth Candle.

Load of rubbish like all his books.

The bloke was a plumber from Essex I heard.

Sounds about right.

Typical bit of rubbish in book: The earth is hollow,I know I've been inside it.

Rockster: No you havent you lying bastard but fair play for getting all these mugs to buy your book. :blub:

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed "The Little Book of Buddhist Wisdom" and the "Little Book of Zen". I rarely read any more though, not since I lost the ability to be bothered.