recommended reading.

solarchild

Does anybody understand Journey to the East?

When I started to really read in my late teens early twenties I tried to read a fair smattering of what was regarded because I realised how piss poor my Englsih was, didnt really need pointing out. So, I stumbled on to Hess, read Steppenwolf, Glass Bead Game some selected short stories and Journey to the East. Im such a piss poor reader but over maybe 10 years I tried this book 3 times. Each time I thought I understood it more until I got to the point with Hesse where I consider at least Journey to the East to be pretencious and a waste of space, did I miss it? A guy sets out on physical journey that he does not realise has metaphysical componets, he leaves the group only to discover that it is he that has left the quest, as the story unfolds, him still believeing he is on the quest. Ultiamtely with any book, novel, story, tail I want it to resolve and have a message, a point. What, anybody!, is the point with Journey to the East.

Edited by Hir

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boojum

• Father McPot

• utokia

• TheBinman

The Self Aware Universe (how conciousness creates the material world) - Amit Goswami (I am half-way through this)

Schroedinger's Rabbits (the many worlds of quantum) - Colin Bruce (only dipped in and out of this reality but thought provoking stuff)

Sorry , off-topic I know but have you made any absinthe then boojum ?

one of the best recipes for absinthe I've ever found comes from it

Aye, years ago. Made & drank quite a bit. I've banned myself from it now though, it does VERY bad things to me.

it does VERY bad things to me.

:)

it does very bad things to most peeps - I've lost a few days on that stuff and been mistaken for dead at least once.

lol

Guest Rex Mundi
"parasite rex",cant remember the author. and the book is currently on loan-not a mealtime read.. :puke: but interesting as it states the constant battle between parasite and host. as one of the main driving forces behind evolution.. and the possibility that parasites account for the emergence of multicellular organisms.....

That is definitely my sort of reading, and I like the coincidental "rex" in there

I like studying how nature really works, and insects have been using what we call radio communications for millions of years, just in a different part of the spectrum.

For more on this subject:

"Tuning in to Nature" - Solar energy, Infrared radiation and the insect communication system. by Philip S Callahan

Also on my shelf by the same author:

"Insects and how they function."

"Insect behaviour."

Hi

"Jonathan Livingstone Seagull"

Very short book, you can read it in 2/3 hours. Most people find it a very good read and very inspirational.

Best wishes - Jak

Kahlil Gibran

The Prophet

covered by

Alan Masugera

The Profit

(Hes a Jew, he gets away with it. Hes not litigious is he? And thats to you Joolz, hay ive already said I wouldnt have allowed me to post on this site.)

kGNxKnLmOH4

Have to agree about johnathon livingston seagull.. a good friend bought me a copy because he knew it was the kind of thing i would NEVER buy.Had it as a loo book and never really expected to read it but so glad i did, really gave me a lift and i can be a right cynical so and so.Wil look out now for some more of Richard Bachs writing.

Edited by withnail

thanks for the recomendation of "Pharmako Poeia - Dale Pendell - Plant Powers, Poison" boojum, great fun so far, has even given me a different perspective on the evil alcohol