Soil Advice Needed

Dropout

Hi just about to take advantage of the weather & start off some low ryder 2 & durban skunk in my cheap portable greenhouse. My mate always grows indoors & uses the soil from grow bags which he mixes 1:3 & puts 10/15 mm of perlite in bottom of pot. Is this ok for greenhouse? My other mate who has great soil in garden just throws that in pots & puts in greenhouse. If not Im open to any good ideas (I live in countryside so only have access to small garden centres etc not grow shops).

Thanks in advance

Hi me again.... just reading through someone elses post....someone else suggested Westlands compost. I will try and get some of this.... I have easy access to Gems multi compost (halfopen bag in garden). Do I mix this compost or just use on its own?

Sorry to be so clueless about growing.....but we all start some where

Westlands is the bee's knees, but any good compost will do - Levingtons etc ...

It's best left unadulterated in any way. Start in small pots and build up in 2 week steps to a decent size. You shouldn't need to feed in veg.

Bear in mind that you won't need many plants in a small greenhouse ...maybe even only 1.... and also that you can't control the size it gets to by switching the light over to 12/12.

Enthusiastic outdoor growers will often veg. indoors under lights, then put plants outside at a time of year when the daylength will immediately trigger flowering.

Edited by compostverte

Thanks for quick reply... lowryder 2 auto flower at about 20 days & packet says should get no higher than 10-20 inches.... so I am hoping this is this case so I can have these on small side shelves & grow out 1 - 2 big durban skunks on greenhouse floor.

I will go for pure compost then...... going to add some biobloom once start flowering I think.....was going to put in 2 gallon pots as packet suggests to rather than transplant them

2 gallon pots should do the business if the plants get big enough ... repotting steadily is the way to know for sure... repotting is usually counter-productive once flowering is underway.