Calcareous

Szark

I noticed the other day on the back of some Canna Terra that is states the one should use a well aerated calcareous soil. I was always lead to believe the MJ prefered acid soil.

Calcareous:

1. of calcium carbonate: containing or characteristic of calcium carbonate

2. BOTANY growing in limestone conditions: growing on limestone or in earth containing limestone • calcareous algae.

Can someone shed light on this.

Pete

The ideal ph for cannabis in real outdoor natural soil is between ph 6.5 and 6.8 ie: just on the acid side of neutral.

Not sure what canna are going on about.

Yes OT1 that's what I thought. So I have contacted Canna direct. Let you know what I find out. I am suprised no one has picked this up before know. The first thing I did was read the label. Now if it had said ericaceous then I would not have questioned it. Hopefully I will get a reply from Canna.

Pete

Well for what it is worth I got a reply can anyone make sense of this here goes

Dear Pete,

It is true that we advise a Calcareous soil but we say that because most soils are Calcareous and we made Terra best usable on them, because a lot of ingredients of soil are really acid (like peat) and that's way most soils are enhanced with calcium (or "lime" what is the best word?) and that brings the pH up to 5.6 to 5.8 the ideal pH.

If you use a soil that is not with calcium enhanced, than you are better of with the "Substa" nutrient. but there is almost no soil that you buy in a shop (also a lower quality garden centre soil) not preparer so you should be 99% certain best of with Terra nutrient.

The best used pH is 5.5 - 6.0.

With kind regards,

Gillis

Ok we are using Ericaceous (6.8) Water/Feed (7.1 average) what PH should the feed be. Does MJ make the soil more acidic as it grows?

I have read on this site regarding Dolimite lime but I am still confused on what this does. The info I have interpreted is thus. Add Dolimite to medium if the ph is on the low side 5.8 for example. But not to medium with a ph of 6.8. So it takes the ph up but not down. This is a bloody headache why can't someone please make it easy to understand once and for all. I never have these problems with my Azelas and Rhody's.

A battered and beaten Pete out.

Pete they mean compost not soil. Gillis is saying if you are using a peat based compost it needs to be buffered with some lime and that most are. He is suggesting that the best are buffered to ph 5.5 to 6.

That may well be the best for Terra ferts. What he is saying if your compost has no lime in is to use a fertiliser that contains lime in its make up like calcium nitrate.

They also seem to correct their coco to buffer at ph 6.

Dolomite lime is ground dolomite this is a calcium and magnesium rich limestone. It is slow acting, long lasting and gentle in effect.

Most standard composts here are ph buffered to between ph 6 and 6.5.

Ericaceous composts are mainly lime free ph corrected to between 5 and 5.5

I’m not sure if this is answering what you want to know.

Personally I make my own compost I correct it to buffer between ph 6.2 and 6.5. But I use organic ingredients and organic liquid fertilisers, I would not consider using chemical salt fertilisers that would destroy the micro flora in my compost.

Now thats an idea I take it that you read it. OT1 I think we need to discuss organics (Organic is my middle name) see you over there after I have read everything on there. I am halfway through at the mo. Did it last night, will do the other half today sometime then the questions will be less. Cheers

Pete