Lighting timers

erowidno4

:oldtoker:  higher peeps!

could someone help me out please, on the subject of timers.

I've been trying to use segment timers for a 600 hps but they only work for a short time before, as I understand it, the contacts fuse.

I read somewhere, Ed possibly, that the only reliable way to solve this, is to build a relay switch. I duly listed the parts and went to the local trade stockist, who said with a grimace and a slow shake of the head,

"Nah, ooooh, nah, yer wunna git nonna that tack ova this end!"    

What the f*cks he on about ?  :D

What sort of timer do YOU use ?

Ta very much

Yea that's the section I read.

Are all the components available in the uk doc? That's my problem I can't seem to find a supplier in this area.

The ready-to-wear relay switches, what should I ask for ? any idea who stocks em ?  :oldtoker:

cheers doc

growell has a good range - they're probably cheaper if you got them from the same place as electricians - they're £35 for one - but cheaper as you run multiple lights.

check here -

Contacts

Looks good to me.

From where I live it would mean driving 30 miles or so picking up bits, the time building one. I've dealt with growell before -v.quick.   :mad:

appreciated  :oldtoker:

Guest THE PUFFER

I had some trouble with timers as some of you may know, but I was given a digital timer that has its own battery inside and if the power fails it keeps running as per normal. Its still going....while as the other normal timers packed up after 3 days tops. I know it sounds like it shouldn't work out like that but it does. :(

i copied this from my website and will make some links

Normal household timers are not designed or rated to deal with the INDUCTIVE power load used by horticultural lighting, some timers may last a bit longer than others but they are designed for appliances that emit a RESISTANT power load

There are 2 ways around this, you could go to your local Hydro shop and buy a contactor all built and ready to go along with a hefty price tag.

Or you can get yourself a suitable change over Contact Relay switch, this will only set you back a few $$ ££. A contact relay switch is required so that the timer turns on the contactor which then turns the light on.

Almost all new growers will experience this failure. The reason for this is the contacts in these timers are not sufficient for the job. Household timers are rated for a RESISTIVE load, ballasts present an INDUCTIVE load, (a very large surge at switch on) this fuses the timer contacts together = Timer failure.

Q:What is a relay switch?

A:An electro mechanically operated switch.

What follows?

Complete instructions (including photos) on wiring a contact relay switch to replace your timer contacts.

Q:What parts are needed and where can I buy them?

A:The following parts can be purchased at any good online electrical store ie maplin.co.uk ,rswww.com or your local electrical hardware store CEF(quote product numbers)

In my case I run 1 x 400w HPS, I know the INDUCTIVE load is 3.15 amps at switch on. Ask the manufactures of your light for this info. I have chosen a 240 volt, 10 amp contact relay switch from CITY ELECTRICAL FACTORS reference number 6012-8230BP for the 2 pole 8 pin relay and 9020-BLKBP for the plug in base and is part of the MCG (Motor Control Gear) catalogue .this particular Relay switch has screw-terminals for easy wiring, and a push fit, easy mount base which you have to buy seperately.(£5.71 for the relay switch ,£2.27 for the 8 pin base)

You will also need a 3 way terminal block, 2 x 3 pin mains plugs, 1 x 3 pin female mains socket, 1.5 meter of 2 core mains wire (about £3)

, sharp wire cutters/blade, an electrical screwdriver, and a cross head screwdriver.

then wire as diagramed on my website

find your nearest CEF :(

:) These large doses of data and THC are beginning to clog my receptors, so fuck the info just gimme the THC  :devil:

no..no..no i must regain some self control  :(

Thank you for the input gentlemen :cool: