Cheap Thermostats?

Troubled Mind

Heya..

Since im using and uninstulated shed, I think it might be smart to get a Heater in there.

This is I dont want to use up to much power ( Not a good mixture with electric heaters I know.. ) so I only want it to come on when its getting to cold. But turn off when its at a nice temp again!

Can you get Thermostat plugs?

Also what sort of heater should I think about getting? The room size is about 8 ft long, and about 6ft tall, and about 6ft wide.

Im affraid insulating will be impossible due to the structue of the shed so this is my only option.

Heya..

Since im using and uninstulated shed, I think it might be smart to get a Heater in there.

This is I dont want to use up to much power ( Not a good mixture with electric heaters I know.. ) so I only want it to come on when its getting to cold. But turn off when its at a nice temp again!

Can you get Thermostat plugs?

Also what sort of heater should I think about getting? The room size is about 8 ft long, and about 6ft tall, and about 6ft wide.

Im affraid insulating will be impossible due to the structue of the shed so this is my only option.

Not quite sure why insulating is impossible. Nothing's impossible. Somethings are too expensive. Some things would be a distinct 'geive away', so I guess wouldn't be wise. But nothing's impossisble.

Still, let's answer your question. Get a room stat from a hardware store, and wire the 'lectric heater through that. Cheap enough. If that's too much money, find someone with a broken/useless fishtank heater, use the thermostat out of that, stick it/wrap it in something to insulate that will allow an airflow. It might end up free rather than cheap.....

But best, far best, to invest 10-20 quid in a room stat.

Have a good think where to place it (I try to find somewhere around a foot or two up the plants but not in direct light).

As to how much heat you'll need. it may be quite a lot outside in an uninsulated shed. Have you thought about gas heating? Much more expensive to set up (you'll want a solenoid controlled greenhouse heater) but much much cheaper to run. And your ladies'll love the CO2!!

Think. An average 3 bar electic heater uses the same current as FIVE 600W growlights. Cold winter, have that on much of the day.......cheap isn't the first word that comes to mind.

All the best,

A gas one sounds the better option dosnt it..

PRoblem with insulating the shed is the fact that you cant really cal it a shed. Its a wooden frame with wood put on it. Due to time and funds I havnt been able to renew this shed this year. Hopefully next year. But basicly the shed just dosnt have suitable support beams to lay insulation on. And cant really be modified to cope with ( Ihave tried many things but it dosnt work..

Thanks for the ideas!

Guest friendly electrician

a stat will cost around £8 upwards. a heater with the stat built in will cost £10

now..a room stat is calibrated in degree's, so thats easy enough to use. a heater stat is not calibrated though normally. it will click in and out at the same temp day after day, but not season after season. it will need checking every couple of weeks, just to see that its still set in the right place. A min/max recording thermometer tells you all you need to know though. There a great investment which i hope you already have.

max spend £20. thats both a heater with stat, and a min max thermometer.

you can get flashy heaters for £20 that have digital readouts, not just a normal stat. heaters dont last long enough to ever get your money back though. a £10 heater with built in stat is all you really need. just check on it regularly. with lights on, turn the stat till it turns on, then turn back till its off again. thats saying, at that temp, the heater is not far off switching on

be carefull with gas heaters.

Guest friendly electrician

might not be relivent, but it just dawned upon me. putting the heater on top of the ballasts would keep it warm and therefore switched off during the day. At night, the ballasts get cold, making the temperature difference the heater see's much greater

might not be relivent, but it just dawned upon me. putting the heater on top of the ballasts would keep it warm and therefore switched off during the day. At night, the ballasts get cold, making the temperature difference the heater see's much greater

Do you mean the thermostat rather than the heater? I would have concerns putting a heater too close to the ballasts, especially if the gas option is chosen.

You want one of these mate.

post-11995-1160174214.jpg

Come in various sizes and very cheap to run.Growers on this site used them with excellent results.