Wet Air

Parlance

Hi All,

Newbie question alert....

New toy arrived recently - a max min thermometer and hygrometer.

My greenhouse temperature swing overnight is tolerable but strike a light having just had a nosey the RH is up at 93%. My first suspicion - is the hygro knackered?

So to question?? Does this matter overnight - can it be tolerated?? RH in the day is a more acceptable 55 to 60% which as I understand it is more like what I should be aiming for.

Am I looking at bud-rot conditions here and if so what can I do about it?

Peace,

Parlance

Hi All,

Newbie question alert....

New toy arrived recently - a max min thermometer and hygrometer.

My greenhouse temperature swing overnight is tolerable but strike a light having just had a nosey the RH is up at 93%. My first suspicion - is the hygro knackered?

So to question?? Does this matter overnight - can it be tolerated?? RH in the day is a more acceptable 55 to 60% which as I understand it is more like what I should be aiming for.

Am I looking at bud-rot conditions here and if so what can I do about it?

Those sound very like accurate readings to me mate given the weather. You are looking at bud rot and mould in there soon (given current temperatures) if you don't do something about it.

You need to get some air exchange going on - depending on the position of the greenhouse this could be as simple as leaving the door open. In other cases you will need a fan (any sort will do really).

Even then its quite possible you will get a mould or budrot infection. Lots of people on here seem to use Citrofresh for this with some success but not having used it outside I can't vouch for it.

Best advice I can give is inspect the plants thoroughly each day. You wouldn't believe how fast mould can spread :yahoo:

Hope this helps a little?

Ok... this is my first night with a small fan heater fighting any potential bud rot problems.

I'm hoping that if I can raise the temperature in there a little and blow some air about the humidity will drop off.

Its just started running - readings were 14.6C / 88% humidity!

So I'll give it a couple of hours and see whether we have an improvement - will report back.

If it works I have an old central heating timer control that I think will be man enough to switch the fan on at reasonable times in the night - no clever control system planned (other than the temperature control built into the fan heater).

Any comments? Does this sound like a plausible plan?

Cheers

P

I grew in a greenhouse last year and found the humidity frighteningly high from the end of August. The plants were extremely slow flowerers and didn't finish until mid November. I ran a small electric oscilating heater and that kept things steady. The whole lot would have rotted away without it.

Hmm... sounds familiar they do seem to be putting the brakes on a bit recently.

WHERE DID ALL THE SUN GO! IT JUST PISSES IT DOWN CONSTANTLY!

Toying with the idea of sorting out a dehumidifier - I would be GUTTED if this all goes tits up now.

Damn it - just went out and temp is up to 17.7 but humidity is still at bloody 84%

Just when I was beginning to feel like the big fella in the sky was right behind me on this idea!

Just get a greenhouse heater in there. It will dry the air out and keep the temps better balanced during the night. Garden centres sell leccy ones for around 20 quid.

You can't afford to fall at this hurdle mate. Employ any defence that will preserve the girls.

Good luck.

Don't get a heater that runs on paraffin though, its a guaranteed way to end up with sick cannabis plants.

I know what you are going though - a couple of years ago I resorted to hanging a couple of 125W enviros in the greenhouse to try to speed things along (it was the end of October and I was desperate :spliff:) They did work but I must have been completely mad doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hurrah!

Had a bit of a result at B&Q tonight - electric fan dessicant dehumidifier - in clearance section. Reduced from £99 to £66. THink this is the ideal option cos normal dehumdifier's get much less affective at the low temperatures outside at this time of year. And a bargain!

SO! Stuck it in there 16.3C and 93% humidity just 3/4 hour later 18.1C 81% humidity.... going in the right direction. NOW THE HEAVENS HAVE OPENED! No dehumid can beat rain dripping through the gaps in the bloody greenhouse.... well - we'll see how she copes.

Heres to a balmy 60% target!

Parlance

Not too many weeks and the girls and I will be making beautiful music together :smoke:

BUT!

Any advice on this front - seem to only be able to get about 65% humidity - even with the dehumid running! lol

SO!

The plan is this weekend....

1) Finish installing the mother of all huge armoured cables out to the greenhouse - with fan heater running the cable and plug got a wee bit too hot!

2) Finish 'wintering' of the greenhouse - more sealing and installing my opener, http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/pd_562207.htm for your info BH... this is the cheapest I could find!

Have had real problems trying to fit them cos my greenhouse is an ancient antique thing I have 'restored' and isnt laid out like normal G/H's

3) Combination of fan heater and dehumid on after weekend and I think we can break the 60% barrier on dehumid!

Update soon!