Has Anyone Come Across This Method Of Drying Before?

Twisted Rizla

Hi

Here's an interesting one. I cut a plant down the other week and, as an experiment I decided to try an alternative method of drying.

I cut off a small cola and removed the buds from the main stalk. I then took some baking paper (parchment) and cut a piece into a 12 inch square. I then added and tightly wrapped the weed into a sort of cigar shape ensuring that the ends were sealed. You need to wrap it tightly and try and remove most of the air. (That said, there was still quite a bit of room in my wrap)

At this point I can hear you all screaming at me "but the mould..the bud rot..blah, blah.."

No problem. I opened the wrap a week later and the weed had all dried very nicely and the smoke was really smooth. It looked a bit like dealer weed in the way it had compressed itself down. The rest of the plant that I dried and cured 'conventionally' is still a bit of a harsh smoke in my opinion.

I've no idea what sort of process took place but the weed is definately 100% dry and there is no mould or rot whatsoever. It'll obviously need curing still but is certainly pleasant enough to smoke immediately.

Has anyone else tried this method?

Why not try with a couple of small buds and see what I mean.

"but the mould..the bud rot..blah, blah.." !!!

:smoke:

In an ideal world, with nice airy buds, there's no harm in slowing down the drying process this time of year, and I have certainly dried test buds in paper bags. It's just that sometimes you really do need to get the water out in a hurry - and I am guilty of using an oscillating fan for a day or two one autumn.

I wasn't really trying to speed dry it I was trying to replicate something I discovered in India a few years back but had never got round to trying it.

A holy man plucked a few buds off one of his weed bushes and after taking out the main stalk proceeded to wrap it in grease-proof paper and told me to wait for one week before I smoked it. After a week the buds had sort of melted into a black sticky mess and blew my face off. I was attempting to do the same however, in my case (possibly because I used baking parchment instead of grease-proof paper) the weed came out all nice and dry and ready to smoke.

I will continue to dry my buds the 'conventional' way but thought that some of the more impatient growers out there might find it useful.

ahh .. so you mean you're actually speeding up the curing process ?

shortening the time from picking to tasting nice .... drying and curing at the same time ?

that indian ganja sounds positively fermented though :yinyang:

Edited by compostverte

sort of how some of the older growers did/do it.

Buds are simi dry before wrapping with news paper then stored somewhere dark opening quite often.

I did it once wuth wet buds and you could see the paper sucking up the moisture, so paper would need regular change or semi dried. Fluffy buds may not have any problems.

Don't forget I used baking parchment and I don't think that would be particularly water absorbent. In India the holy fella used grease-proof paper and that would be even less absorbent.

I pulled mine straight from the bush and wrapped it straight away. Once it was wrapped you couldn't smell the weed inside and I just left in on a shelf in a brightly lit room.

I was hoping that, as I'd used baking parchment, I would be able to reproduce the "fermentaion" process that I had witnessed in India and Compostverte mentioned. I fully expected to open the parcel and find that the weed had gone mouldy but it was far from that.

I can only assume that the baking parchment acted as some sort of conduit to release the moisture. I'll try it again at the weekend when I pull another plant down but this time I'll use grease-proof paper instead.

Guest Mr white

Don't forget I used baking parchment and I don't think that would be particularly water absorbent. In India the holy fella used grease-proof paper and that would be even less absorbent.

I pulled mine straight from the bush and wrapped it straight away. Once it was wrapped you couldn't smell the weed inside and I just left in on a shelf in a brightly lit room.

It could be that the grease proof paper is pourous and allows the bud to breath, as for news papers and the like they do absorb quite a lot of moisture, when labouring on building sites my wellies get really damp and nasty at the end of the day newspapers all scrunched up and pushed inside really helps dry them out, the next morning when you take the papers out WALLA you got dry boot. this may not be totally relevent to drying bud but it could be usefull for gardeners whatnot. As for the grease proof paper I think I'll be trying that as I will be in a bit of a hurry to dry my buddage when ripe, nice one!

Guest HomeGrown

hi twisted rizla,

when i was reading what u said i thinking malawi cobs

only difference is malawi cobs are wrapped in a maize leaf and planted underground where its warm and dark rather than in grease proof paper in the light

maybe this should be tried in the dark and light to compare results

cheers for info

;)

• Like 1

Yea very interesting, keep the experimentation up and let us know how it goes. I for one would like to know if you can get some results worth writing home about.

• 2 months later...

i cnt believe i came across this thread!! i was browsing through to see if the method i am usin would be effective i was worried it wouldnt be! i had 2 plants which i cut down 2 days ago. and what iv done is got a quality streets tin (empty obviously) and put some silica gel sachets at the bottom(not to much) and then iv put a layer of greaseproof paper, layer of buds, layer of grasepaper and so on. i am very pleased to hear that the grease paper was a good way of dryin!! i hope i end up as happy as you are with your results!

• 14 years later...
On 07/08/2006 at 6:26 PM, Twisted Rizla said:

Hi

Here's an interesting one. I cut a plant down the other week and, as an experiment I decided to try an alternative method of drying.

I cut off a small cola and removed the buds from the main stalk. I then took some baking paper (parchment) and cut a piece into a 12 inch square. I then added and tightly wrapped the weed into a sort of cigar shape ensuring that the ends were sealed. You need to wrap it tightly and try and remove most of the air. (That said, there was still quite a bit of room in my wrap)

At this point I can hear you all screaming at me "but the mould..the bud rot..blah, blah.."

No problem. I opened the wrap a week later and the weed had all dried very nicely and the smoke was really smooth. It looked a bit like dealer weed in the way it had compressed itself down. The rest of the plant that I dried and cured 'conventionally' is still a bit of a harsh smoke in my opinion.

I've no idea what sort of process took place but the weed is definately 100% dry and there is no mould or rot whatsoever. It'll obviously need curing still but is certainly pleasant enough to smoke immediately.

Has anyone else tried this method?

Why not try with a couple of small buds and see what I mean.

Do you still use this method I put my weed in an attic 3 days ago n feeling a bit concerned I'm hoping it's all fine I heard an seen people doing this and was pondering to go down this route my self I think I might still take a chance on it 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jnz said:

Do you still use this method I put my weed in an attic 3 days ago n feeling a bit concerned I'm hoping it's all fine I heard an seen people doing this and was pondering to go down this route my self I think I might still take a chance on it 

Bump that 15yr old thread lol

If he didn't know then, I can tell you for sure now that it wasn't a good idea :yep:

• Like 3

Other than cobs (traditional african methid of fermenting ganja) I've never heard of anyone doing anything like the OP, I expect there's a good reason for that. What are you worried about? Smell or mould? 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Other than cobs (traditional african methid of fermenting ganja) I've never heard of anyone doing anything like the OP, I expect there's a good reason for that. What are you worried about? Smell or mould? 

Bit of both lacking electric supply an havent had any smell problem yet but I haven't opened the hatch since it's been there and so just hoping things works out need to be more prepared next summer