Inducing Flowering

highpriest

do i have 2 wait till the pistils are showing before i can induse flowering?i have 6 orange bud females from feminised seeds :yinyang: no problem there ;) and 9 plants from street weed,that was quite a good puff :wassnnme: also i heard that u can start 2 flower ur plants when the 5 fingered leaves are out on the plant.......any info appreciated....thanks

Hiya, your plants need to be mature before you can start flowering. They show this by having alternating branches, rather than them both coming from the main stem at the same time. I don't think it has anything to do with finger counts :wassnnme:

Edit...Kind of like this if you will. Usually once you get to around the 7th set of branches.

post-9202-1153788359_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ali_Bongo

Hiya, your plants need to be mature before you can start flowering. They show this by having alternating branches, rather than them both coming from the main stem at the same time. I don't think it has anything to do with finger counts :yinyang:

Edit...Kind of like this if you will. Usually once you get to around the 7th set of branches.

CHEERS M8 :wassnnme:

for plants from seed the earliest you can flower is as above when alternating nodes and pistils appear.

For clones flower any time/height ya like.

ive got some orange bud on the go mate just over 5 weeks vegging from seed

still waiting for them to show sex so i can choose a mum

the one lession i have learnt so far with orange bud is that they need to be topped in veg

otherwise u soon lose control in flower, they love to strech as high as they can get

pic 2 is a orang bud i topped just over a week ago :wassnnme:

post-12695-1153807964_thumb.jpg

post-12695-1153807990_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr_green01

""""""""""""Flowering can be started when plant is 12" tall""""""""""

Spectamatt Youth its advice like that making this site not as valuable as it could be.

Spectamatt Youth its advice like that making this site not as valuable as it could be.

And your quote aint much better either :guitar:

Instead of just critisising why not be more constructive yourself lol

Owd :wink:

sorry matey,

Just saying and don't want anyone to take this wrong way but there are alot of factors to consider like the strain firstly sativa loads taller than indica, has the plant stretched due to lack of light, my first grow only had about 3 internodes at 12 inch as was under crappy old 100 watt sodum light,

When i been looking for advice here when was newbie i had some horrific advice, started to think the ds were handing the advice out.

Sorry for being negative, and i stand corrected it totally was, in a rush to get to work and just makin a stupid comment i suppose due to bad memories in past,

It is rare tho, this site is great and rarely is advice bad

I suspect you'd wait far too long if you went by the change from opposite to alternate phyllotaxy. 4 weeks of veg and now 3 weeks into flower, only my side shoots are showing any such trend. If you veg. at 24/0, I suspect you would also be leaving it too long if you waited for pre-flowers.

You can flower as soon as the seeds pop if you like. (though unless they're pure sativas. it's a waste of a seed in terms of final yield)

For most of us we veg. with a view to how tall the finished plant will be after the stretch that happens during the first two weeks of flowering.

Low power / low intensity lights will lengthen vegging time, but also limit the amount of vegging that's worthwhile - even if you have unlimited space, there's little point in growing a 6 foot plant unless you have a 1,000 watt light (or the sun), because the light can't reach the lower part of the plant.

In my current grow of diverse genetics, my plants had 1 week under fluorescents, 1 week under 250 watts and 2 weeks under 500 watts. They ended up approx 15 inches tall, and with the stretch thankfully nearly over they are between 31 and 42 inches - a stretch between 100 and 160 percent. My females were showing preflowers at 4 weeks.

Would you want the plant in its strongest and hardiest state before flowering?

Only reason I'm asking is because it's nearly flowering time for my Magic Buds. They're about 7 weeks vegging, very bushy and about 15" tall. Only problem is I'm treating with epsoms at the mo due to some nasty mg def :wassnnme:

Since you have limited headroom I would get them flowering.

Epsom salts get to work quickly - especially if you foliar feed.

Since you have limited headroom I would get them flowering.

Epsom salts get to work quickly - especially if you foliar feed.

Cheers fella, just a quickie though, I've heard some people going into flowering using subtle steps before going completely 12/12, is there a reason for this or should I just go straight into 12/12?

Ooh, oooh, and another has just sprung to mind; should I give some of the branches a chop to promote better buddage. They seem to have loads of branches and some of the lower ones are extremely long and wide, but I also have enough horizontal space so... :yinyang:

BTW, gave them a good foliar spray yesterday and some epsoms in their feed, today they lookin a bit purtier :yinyang:

I doubt mimicking nature's light cycles that precisely is worth the bother.

I have never deliberately pruned or de-leafed - mainly as I like to keep my options open.... I may want something to reveg later. If you have the space, I'd be inclined to let the side branches do their own thing. Anything you don't smoke will be good for eating :yinyang:

Maybe if GW Pharmaceuticals goes bust, their research notes will get leaked so we'll have definitive answers. :yinyang: