Distilling Water

Guest kinsize

Guest kinsize

hi I have read that a good way to germinate seeds is to place them in slightly warm distilled water the thing is how do you distil your water :oldtoker:

Guest kinsize

Boil it.

Boojum cheers, who would have thought it would have been that simple, I should search on google next time.

B)

Guest kinsize

Boojum cheers, who would have thought it would have been that simple, I should search on google next time.

B)

I have just gone and had a search. google is telling me that distilled water is water that has been boiled to create steam, then the steam goes up a tube and turns back into water dripping into another pot.

Well know that has copletley mucked me up can anyone advise me how to get distilled water using only a house kitchen and no laboritry equiptent

:oldtoker:

To be honest, 's not totally accurate, proper distillation involves boiling it then condensing the steam into another vessel using a distillation loop or a cold surface angled so the condensed steam drips into another container, so all you're getting is pure water and any impurities are left in the vessel you're boiling it in, but for the purposes of growing if you're gonna use distilled water, boiled probably does just as good. Lots of folks use rainwater instead, collected in an outside butt or similar. I just use tapwater (left to stand for 12-24 hours cos apparently that gets rid of some of the chorine etc), never had any problems with it.

Edited to add was typing while you posted the above message.

Edited by Boojum

Guest gunnaknow

B)

Boiling water will only distill the water if you boil the water off in a sealed boiler with a condensing coil pipe at the top. You can buy electric water distillers, or if you are trying to watch your electricity use because of your growroom, you can buy non-electric distillers that go on the stove. Such as the 'Waterwise 1600' or the 'Life Saver Water Distiller'. Do a google search.

EDIT: Jesus Christ! By the time I had finished typing this post, two new posts had been posted. Making me look like a twat!

Edited by gunnaknow

Guest kinsize

cheers guys for your replys l.o.l at the last comment :yahoo: its all good :oldtoker:

Just had myself a delivery for an envirolite for vegging, plus an e40 fitting obviously to go with the lamp. To begin with I was looking for a on off switch as their appeared to be no plug. After a few miniute of checking where this on of switch could be I thought I must have to attach a plug. Do I do this to the bass of the E40 fitting ??

why o why dont they come with a nice plug and lead already done im no sparky

lol

Edited by kinsize

Guest gunnaknow

cheers guys for your replys l.o.l at the last comment :stoned: its all good :doh:

Just had myself a delivery for an envirolite for vegging, plus an e40 fitting obviously to go with the lamp. To begin with I was looking for a on off switch as their appeared to be no plug. After a few miniute of checking where this on of switch could be I thought I must have to attach a plug. Do I do this to the bass of the E40 fitting ??

why o why dont they come with a nice plug and lead already done im no sparky

:wink:

You should ask this in the lighting forum Kinsize. :)

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showforum=100

Edited by gunnaknow

I should think you can get bottles of distilled water at places like Halfords as it's used to top up car batteries.

I should think you can get bottles of distilled water at places like Halfords as it's used to top up car batteries.

You can...de-ionised, same stuff, most filling stations sell it as well.

Use tap water - a bit of chlorine kills fungi.

Or do what I do - fill small pots with compost and stick the seed in :(

works for cabbage, works for cannabis ...

Edited by compostverte