Growin Outside In Winter

FRAY

Hey PPL,

Just wonderin if the outdoor varietys will withstand the winter if they am in a greenhouse???

I grow cheese mainly which is indoor/outdoor me thinks!!!

Nice One Peeps

FRAY :yinyang:

No. They'll freeze. And daylengths would force flower and death.

You'd need to heat and light your greenhouse. Pricey

No. They'll freeze. And daylengths would force flower and death.

You'd need to heat and light your greenhouse. Pricey

Nice One Geeza,

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

FRAY :yinyang:

• 1 month later...

so basically you cannot grow outside in winter, what about on a window sill in your house?

Edited by stonned_joe

so basically you cannot grow outside in winter, what about on a window sill in your house?

Same issue with lighting as with a greenhouse.

Spring. Germ your seeds when frosts are a thing of the past. Check the outdoors forum to seewhat peeps do.

Guest be_my_flame

germ now and take clones if you have an indoor set up :yinyang: come spring you'll have your fems ready and waiting for the last frost.

If you have big plants can they withstand a light ground frost in may?

cant you grow lowryders with some heat and no added lighting?

Edited by be_my_flame

cant you grow lowryders with some heat and no added lighting?

No. You can't grow any outdoor plant inside in winter without artificial light. It will simply become spindly as it stretches for light that isn't there. Result = plant that won't finish.

Growing in winter requires the grower to replace the difference in energy received from the sun between summer and winter.

Winter is great for maintaining mothers though - nice cold roots :yinyang:

Edit - you can (if you have some experience with plants) reduce the feed drastically and prune roots. This will help somewhat with the amount of energy you have to supply over the winter but with cannabis the photoperiod is the problem - other outside plants can be overwintered without artificial light (if you know what you are doing).

Edited by Dalbeag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

i started mine in winter on my window sill and i planted like 14 seeds all next to eachother its been like 5 months now they all germinated next to eachother :yahoo: and i have one dominant female the rest havent shown sex yet !

you right about growing spindly jese mine is so spindley ! but he only reason i commented was because someone was saying you cant grow in winter on your window sill ! wel you can just dont expect good results :yep:

• 2 weeks later...

agreed, ive seen lots of friends plants growing on a windowsil during winter. alot of the time bad growing methods are being used due to lack of gardening knowledge, but they do certianly grow.

However as you would expects they are weak growers, there is little light and theyre probably too cold. with that said i reckon if you can keep it heated a greenhouse could veg plants fine, but i wouldnt want to attempt flowering with the lack of light and high humidity.

im gonna try it with some masterlow after summer to see what happens. id like to be able to grow masterlow year round in the UK even if the winter buds arnt as high quality, at least its some smoke and maybe some seed stock for summer.

Edited by watermelon