Electrical help please

chez

I'm not exactly knowledgable when it comes to electricity, please could someone tell me if this is the right way to do this -

I am running a power lead from a socket in the room into the wardrobe (growroom) where I will put a 2 way socket on the end of it, but I need to continue this lead into the loft. Would I be best just plugging the loft lead into one of these sockets and carrying the lead on into the loft or can I wire it something like in the picture???

Thanks

Chezleccy.jpg

Won't really make much difference other than you will have another fuse in the line going up into your loft, which will be bonus if you have a problem. Don't forget you only have 13amps from your bedroom socket to share between all you will plug into the extension. Hope that helps :D

So it would work if I wired it up like in the drawing??

I plan to run the following off of it, will this be ok -

400w HPS

Contactor

2 x 6" clip on fans

2 x RVK150A1 fans

Thanks

Chez

hello again chez

Strictly speaking what you are planning doesn't follow the IEE regs, but it would work.

You didn't make clear if the feed from the bedroom socket is hardwired into the back of the socket or just a lead plugged into the socket?

The easiest way is to have it plugged into the socket. There are less rules and regs for portable 'electrics' than hardwired.

If you are planning to hardwire from the bedroom socket - do away with the connector block in your diagram. Run a cable from the back of your bedroom socket (1.5mm T&E cable is ok) direct to a socket in your closet. Then plug in a extension lead to give you power into the loft..

I'd go with plugging into your bedroom socket. At least that way all your circuitry is protected by a 13A fuse

MrB

I am guessing that this would be ok.

Watts = Volts x Amps therefore Amps = Watts/Volts and

Volts = Watts/Amps

Using this you can work out the current (Amps) drawn by your setup. B)

I had planned to plug into the socket in the bedroom so that no one can put another plug in and overload the socket!

The only problem with plugging the loft extension into one of the groroom sockets is that I wanted a spare socket in the growroom. I will be plugging one 6" fan into the growroom, with the rest of the electrics going in the loft.

Absolutely right Mr Bucket a fused spur from the ringmain would be the ideal solution, next best thing would be an extension lead plugged into an extension lead. I am thinking Chez would be drawing no where near 13amps and therefore would be OK with this setup.

IEE regs wish someone had told the bloke who did the leccy in my house :D

you would be pulling no where near 13A with that set-up....

why not run a 4 way extension from the bedroom to the closet, and the a 4 way from the closet to loft...that gives you 3 sockest in the closet and 4 in the loft ( thats the way mine is done with a 600w hps and 3 rvk100 fans and 3 clip on fans plugged in the 4 ways)

MrB

Sorry Chez I was writing that as you posted the bedroom socket is unlikely to get overloaded as it will be on the upstairs ringmain and will have more than 13amps at its disposal.

Hi Hydrotechno

Yes, can't wait to get them up and running.

I did consider building a model Jumbo Jet with them (there's easily enough power!) but decided to go with the grow instead. :)

Chez

MrB - I bought them for 2 reasons. To make sure my grow keeps really cool and to allow me to go for a bigger grow next time.

I didn't see the point in buying smaller fans then having to buy bigger ones in a years time.

And yes, they shift some air!

Chez