Personal Firewall

SpaceCadet

A good trick is to take the IP address of the offending packets and copy them into a Google newsgroup search, as they are commonly just packets from your ISP. You can bet that someone has already asked about the offending packets.

You ISP will "probe your ports" to check that you are not running a web-server or anything else you shouldn’t be doing (without paying them for the privilege).

You also get packets sent from Internet applications you have been using and have closed down e.g. morpheus/kazaa etc. These are just the morpheus/kazaa servers or other users checking if you are still online or another client retrying to get a file from you after you have closed your p2p application.

If you connect via a LAN then make sure you have disabled file and printer sharing on the network card you use to connect to you cable/ASDL modem. This will close all the Net bios ports, which are a hacker’s favourite port to come in to you computer.

http://grc.com/intro.htm

Is an excellent site for learning about security. Steve Gibson explains things really well. The site is able to check how secure you are when you are online. Try "probe my ports" and "shields up".

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Not everyone is out to get you but is best to take a few simple precautions. Saves you loosing your valuable pron and MP3 collections ;)

Wilbur

one word of caution though -- been using Zone Alarm (free version), decided it was so good that I'd drop the cash to upgrade to their paid version

I hope you didn't pay for it????? lol

If you did, you wasted your ££££ cuz its all over the net...

I trust you did the sensible, but illegal thing, and download it free of charge...

If anyone else is interested in ZoneAlarm Pro, then you'll find it on KaZaA and the follwing site....

Click Here!

Guvnors

High there,

Re: Kazaa - forget the official version - it's full of spyware; get Kazaa Lite (not a typing mistake) instead.

(Do a search on Google - if you're good enough, you'll find it)

All the best