Personal Firewall

SpaceCadet

Hi All,

I have recently installed a personal firewall on my PC and have been absolutely shocked by the number of connection attempts that have been made.

I was even more shocked at the amount of information my PC was trying to upload to sites like Microsoft every time I connected to the internet(makes you wonder what sort of information they have been stealing from our PC's).

The Tiny Personal Firewall software (free for home use) which I have been using, will prompt you to either accept or deny each request ... or to create a rule to deal with these requests in the future.

It seems to be doing the business and I just love clicking that Deny button :ninja:

Peace

SC

Hi, Space Cadet, yeah I know exactly what you mean, I have a commercial firewall and was shocked at the amount of programmes that were trying to connect. Deleted them all and started again. Works a treat.

Ah yes but most stuff can be considered normal unthreatening network traffic and the personal firewalls are a disaster for sys admins and helpdesks who spend their whole time answering false alerts and explaining how broadcast packets work.

Good article on this at SamSpade which should prevent misplaced concerns.

Thanks ICaneBud, you do have a good point there .... but I am a sys admin mate, so the messages make more sense to me than they might to an average user. The firewall has picked up cases of port scanning, etc.

one word of caution though -- been using Zone Alarm (free version), decided it was so good that I'd drop the cash to upgrade to their paid version, which does work even better -- but it comes bundled with Steganos Internet Anonymity -- which is the most vile piece of software crap ever-- for two weeks I couldn't even get on the internet until I finally tracked down and deleted every lurking Steganos file. Firewall good, Steganos bad!

Good one jontz, ad-aware is nice kit, sorts out all the nasties things like KaZaA dump on your system.

BTW did you see "The Lost Boys" t'other night? Classic 80s cheeze that started all the Buffy nonsense. (your sig reminded me)

High there,

Interesting :ghost:

I run ZoneAlarm Pro, AVP (Russian) Anti-Virus, ProPort port scanner, SpyBot & Ad-Aware, and various anti-trojan programs.

You would be amazed at how vulnerable your computer is, especially when you don't run all of the above at the same time.

I thought like you all did, and that I was somehow 'safe', but once I built myself a 'fortress' (haha, I'm sure I'm vulnerable as hell!), I realised my computer was constantly being infested by trojans, some of them quite dangerous, eg. BO, etc. - basically they allow others to use your computer as they please, and even plant trojan-bridges, to facilitate safe passage of said trojans.

One reason this happens, and that the hackers have a go, is because I run through a proxy quite a lot of the time, and that I download a lot of the time using a certain type of client (i.e. not http internet-based; using backbone of internet connection).

I am learning more all the time about connections, vulnerability, etc., and find it very interesting, and something I will pursue.

All the best

BTW did you see "The Lost Boys" t'other night? Classic 80s cheeze that started all the Buffy nonsense. (your sig reminded me)

:huh: er.. nope. I made it up....(!) Thinkin about times when I've been sitting there wondering about someone for ages, spoke to 'em and they turn out sound...

Trichome:

Sounds like you're pretty well protected there bud! :oldtoker:

I'm lost....Trojan bridges sounds like some kinda Sky One thing!!!

Although I gave Dinotopia a go Sunday and I can't stop thinking about the Rainy Basin!!!

Anyhow...Just wanted to add...

Lost Boys...Top Film!!!! B) :oldtoker::huh:

Re. the above, lost boys, one of my all time top films.

And with the Zone Alarm thingy, I read this thread and downloaded it yesterday. F@CK I never realized the vulnerability of my pc.

An example, at 1.46pm today, (The time of the attacks) I got a new message saying it had detected an HTTP attempt that was some kind of virus attack, but that my firewall had stopped it and my Anti-Virus would have been able to cope with it.

Paranoid?

The thing is it makes visible a lot of things that would never actually be able to damage you anyway, so while its good it can be slightly paranoia and hysteria inducing.