night time ventilation

dustin boles

Hi Dustin

The extraction from my grow room is done by 2 fans. I have the weaker 1 come on intermittently through the night just to keep the humidity down a little and thus reduce the chance of bud rot, or mould in the buds.

I never used to do this and i have only had 2 cases of bud rot in all the time ive been growing. The first time was because my girlfriend decided she would spray the plants a week before harvest. What could i say, her heart was in the right place, but she didnt know what she was doing. The second time was because i left the plant in a dark unventillated room for too long before i cut it down.

Again, as with many things comcerned with growing, its up to you. there's no definite way, just different people ways of doing things. However, i think having the fans coming on intermittently through the dark period is a safe option.

Hope that helps

Chip

Hi Dust

For what it's worth (i am a newbie), I have my fan come on 4 times during the night, just for a few minutes each time and this seems to keep the humidity down quite nicely.

Unless you are concerned with noise at night - i would try it and see if you notice any difference!

Good luck, all the best

Dr A

Smokin' :oldtoker:

Of course, you can go down the flash bastards route, and use a Seiobo environent controller, which allows you to set the difference between day and night temperatures.

You just plug in your fans, heaters, air con units and co2 cylinders into it, program in the room size and the temp you want, and away you go - nice regulated environment, altho having to rewire all my plugs was a pain in the arse.

Bit on the pricey side (£300), and there were probs with the earlier ones (which are now sorted), but very nice bits of kit all the same

thanks for the replies. i had not thought about humidity at night. i have everything on one digital timer so i will have to buy another to put my fan on. offmehead, i definately want a climate controller one day, but for now im growing in my closet so it would be almost a waste spending that much money now. but i have a shed out back that i have my eye on for a 2000 watt flowering room which would accomidate that equipment much better. that will have to wait because im only into my first grow so i will keep it simple for now. later d.b.

Hi Dustin Boles,

Always a good idea to have some sort of ventilation 24/7 if possible ... keeps the plants from exhausting the CO2 supply in the air (especially in a closed closet or the likes).

Peace

SC

Run fans 24/7: based on my experience and many pro's (use speed controllers to reduce during dark period).

(unless you use CO2, when of course you need to stop fans, to let CO2 work; which would be in daylight hours anyway)

Yeah KC33, does kind of make sense that they wouldn't need CO2 during the dark cycle (can anyone confirm this?) .... I have just noticed an improvement in the health of my plants when running the fans 24/7.

SC

From what I've learnt about growing (not a feckin lot!), the one thing that comes across to me is; Replicate Mother Nature. The temperature drops at night, and the plants have a breather, but, the wind still blows, giving a fresher environment. I just try to think what happens in the wild, and get as close to that as possible with my girls! :oldtoker:

SpaceCadet: yes, that's right, the plants will be more healthy :oldtoker:

Cytral: That's the way man - just how I see it; the wind doesn't stop at night!

All the best

Not just keeping the air moving, and thus moisture down KC33, having the venting going 24/7, along with movement fan(s), means the branches and stems become stronger, and therefore able to hold more weight successfully late in flowering.

When you're growing with big lights, you need strong plants, especially with high yielders.

All the best