Lighting

spliffy21

Hi im very new to this growing game but ive made a small grow room about 5ft x 3 ft and im wondering if you can use a halogen bulb 500w im sorry if I sound dumb but like I said im very new to this :oldtoker:

Ive just been on the site uk seed supplies and the seeds are only 10 per pack how come they are that price while some of the sites are advertising them for 40 - 60. Ive seen a light 400w for 95 is this a good price. I have just got hold of an ultraviolet light as well are they good for anything?

Ummm,

Just to pass on what I've learned....

Halogen lights are one of the devils spawn of lighting for cannabis. They will grow under it. But your plants will be crap. Halogen lights dont have the correct colour spectrum to promote proper growth, either during vegative growth or during flowering. I think I've read that it also encourages large internode spacing, but I'm still not quite sure what this means yet.... :)

I cant answer your question regarding seeds, but for lighting goto www.fastlight.co.uk and get one of their IP20 Low Bay lights. Including delivery and VAT, it should cost you just a couple of clicks under £80 for a 400watt job.

If you get that lamp, or a lamp like that, there is a guide written by OldPink on overgrow.com that instructs you as to moving the internal powerpack to another location. This helps with temperature and reduces the hanging weight of the light. The link is Here.

Hope that helps a little. But the best advice I can give is to read and search these fourms, and the same with overgrow.com and their growfaq.

Now, I'll stand back and let the professionals reply... :)

Take it EZ,

Tre

I just replied to a thread of yours octacon and I used the phrase "tight internode spacing"... so I'd probably better explain.

Internode spacing is the distance between the sets of leaves on the stem. When it becomes tight (e.g. Nitrogen deficiency) then it looks like the plant's been thumped with a hammer from above - like in a cartoon where a human head disappears into its shoulders... sorta thing. All bunched up at the top.

Long internode spacing - I've seen from a plant grown under a halogen - it looked like a piece of spaghetti (uncooked)... with some cress stuck to it... not good.

Spliffy 21 - the cheaper seeds are a black art/science. Some are very good - some are terrible. Of the cheaper ones Nirvana are good - some variation - but at least half of them I can recommend. Why are they priced that way? - cartel pricing - Nirvana started knocking them out for a tenner and now all sedbank prices have come down - so it's more competitive and better for growers IMHO.

UV lights are for advanced systems only... they're mimicking the UV conditions at high altitude where many of the best smoke grows - in other words they're added to increase potency - so I wouldn't put one in as measuring how successful the lamp is, will be very difficult to measure. They add nothing to photosynthesis as they operate beyond the blue end (that's where the name ultra-violet comes from) of the spectrum of white (visible) light and hence the waves are not processed by the chloroplasts in the leaves.

tata

hp

cannabis grown at high altitude (Afghan mountain's etc) are exposed to more UV

because of the altitude and that spectrum (UV) is low in HID lamp's

and there is less UV at sea level from sunlight

but i'm sure someone can give you more detail's on the effect's of UV

on yield and potency

OP

:)

Hehehe,

Good advice? Professional Advice?? I think my misses may be right; perhaps I do read too much.. ;)

Once again Hemp Playboy, thanks for explaining that one. There are some terms which I read and I dont know what they mean I have problems finding out there definition. I wonder if there is a comprehensive cannabis growers glossary...

Take it EZ

• 2 weeks later...

guys, for the cheapest hps.mh lights around - and yes, cheaper than fastlight - visit

www.taysidehydrotek.co.uk

i bought a 250MH lamp and bulb for £30 last week!!!! ( in think its priced at £60+ on fastlight)

i know its priced £50 on the website, but phone the shop and ask for a price and you WILL be amazed.....

the shop has just opened and the guy needs to drum up some business. so there is dicount for all!!

The shop is in Albert Street Dundee, Bonnie Scotland..

cYA all :D

forgot to mention

when i was there last week, the guy has hydro kits on special just now.

400w hps + NFT hydro kit complete for £150

same deal but wuth a 600w hps = £165

Growell sell the same NFT+L

forgot to mention

when i was there last week, the guy has hydro kits on special just now.

400w hps + NFT hydro kit complete for £150

same deal but wuth a 600w hps = £165

Growell sell the same NFT+Light kits, but the light is only 250w hps instead of the 400w for the same price of £150

happy growing to y'all

Spliffy21

I you do get a Fastlight IP20 and go through the separating the ballast bit and everything - I've found that you may as well get rid of all the steel crap around it while you're at it!

You're going to have to fix some kind of hanging bracket or fixings to the top of the case and while you're at it and it is just as easy to fix a small end plate of aluminimum or cut down the existing endplate that holds the bulbholder and fix it direct to the ally reflector - lots lighter and you can open up the reflector a bit to help the spread of light when you are getting low down.

But there again you may choose to do otherwise - especially when my plants are in intensive care!!!!

:):(