Bulb Shaders ?

deanbo

I've been having a good look around for info both here and on the web,and i've noticed these thing's called "shades" placed under the bulb.

i found a pdf online which has all the dimensions of a typical one with holes drilled through it

and i have a large sheet of copper which i could use to make one.

I've gathered that the closer the light is to the plants the better in terms of light,but the heat is the problem,and some have cooled hoods to lower the temp and get the light closer without scorching the plants too.

I think i could easily make one of these myself and would like to know if copper is a suitable material to use ? I know they slide over the bulb fitting as the pic shows that well and.

I also noticed they were ALL white,obviously to reflect the light back as it's shading the area underneath.Would a high temperature white spray paint be OK to use ?

Or are they not worth bothering with and don't live up to their claims ?

Personally I think it would just be easier to buy one as they arn't expencive. But if you really want to I guess you can, copper sounds a bit dodgy though imo. I have heard some good things about it but i've always thought that they must block some of your light

I have one - it's called a super-spreader. What it does is take away the hot spot under the bulb, and more evenly distribute the light - partially by reflecting light off the reflector, hence the reflective surface. It also lets lots of light down through the holes, so the plants underneath don't go short of light at all...

It seems to work for me - I grow in a drobe, and initially had temperature problems. It's helped sort em out... ;)