11.5amp Speed Controller!!

arthur lee

You might of seen my pics in grow room designs. In that room I have 2 very large fans running in there, one for exhaust via a 12" filter and one for fresh air.

Problem is they are rated at 11.5Amp each, and when running at full speed they nearly shake the place apart.

To get over this I've installed a 3KVA 110 volt transformer (the type builders use on site) to each of them, this keeps them running at 50%. Although the tranies get hot they seem to cope ok.

Now this system works fine most of the year but struggles in the summer ;)

Question

As I would like to run at 70-80% during summer, does any one know where I can get hold of a speed controller that can cope with that kind of current?

AL

post-11247-1139833777_thumb.jpg

trannies tend to run hot when they are turned down. try the fans at full speed and see if their temp goes down on the transformers.

Edited by tony2wheelsgood

but isn't the whole idea of the trannys is to slow the fans down? If he wanted to run them at full speed he could just take the trannys off.

I don't have a suggestion for that kind of current...what kind of fans are these..my 6" RVKs are only 0.5 amp I thought :unsure:

but isn't the whole idea of the trannys is to slow the fans down? If he wanted to run them at full speed he could just take the trannys off.

I don't have a suggestion for that kind of current...what kind of fans are these..my 6" RVKs are only 0.5 amp I thought :wassnnme:

The make of the fans were Torin and they were cluless as to my request although I did not disclose real use.

On the motor data plate they are 6 pole induction motors normaly running at 11.5Amps.

the 110v tranies are only fixed at that voltage but I'm looking for 180-190volt.

One of my previous controllers was an SPC SMSCOM 14Amp which cost over £400 and nearly caught alight

but it did do the job on 1 fan but not man enough for 2. But cant seem to locate any more of these.

AL

i would look up a way to make one, and use some proper parts from maplin maybe. :bag::wassnnme:

Although i'm a sparks by trade (retired!!!!) Iwould like to find something purpose built as my electronic skills and qualifications are beyond the 16th edition of the regs. But if you are offering I'm strictley COD and you are more than welcome.

AL

Although i'm a sparks by trade (retired!!!!) Iwould like to find something purpose built as my electronic skills and qualifications are beyond the 16th edition of the regs. But if you are offering I'm strictley COD and you are more than welcome.

AL

sorry mate, i have no idea with electronics, and a very limited knowledge of leccy! ;)

i was just thinking, a fan controller is nothing more than a variable resistor, surely wouldn't be too hard to find a heavy duty one, add a case and a knob, and your away! :wassnnme:

Just a stoned thought ;)lol:bag:

the reason i posted about the trannies getting cooler when turned up is that my bathroom lights are on a dimmer and that gets hot when the lamps are dimmed. i figured that the transformer "absorbs" current to reduce the juice available to the device and in doing so gets hotter. resistance/electric fires and that.

someone try it ffs, it'll only take half an hour to know if it works or not.

the reason i posted about the trannies getting cooler when turned up is that my bathroom lights are on a dimmer and that gets hot when the lamps are dimmed. i figured that the transformer "absorbs" current to reduce the juice available to the device and in doing so gets hotter. resistance/electric fires and that.

someone try it ffs, it'll only take half an hour to know if it works or not.

Thanks for the idea, will keep you updated on progress.

The CSE web site also seems usefull

AL

Edited by arthur lee

Hi Arthur,

My first post here. I've enjoyed reading about your grow room. :guitar:

In case you're still looking there are various 11.5 amp (mega fan current man!) speed control solutions available. All fairly pricey. Here are a few.

http://www.hortisystems.co.uk/control.htm

http://www.cadamp.co.uk/list_prices.htm

http://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/controlgear/fanspeed.htm

http://www.applied-energy.com/en/xpelair/products/range/1723

http://www.kbelectronics.com/catalog_fan_oem_wall.htm

RS do some fairly expensive motor control gear that'll work. ;)

You can also try looking for multiple step transformers, variable transformers, AC controllers, AC motor controllers, etc. Components that aren't necessarily branded 'for fans'.

we had some large extractors installed at the farm by those nice people at expelair they were variable with a small gizmo on the wall my be worth giving them a bell or search on the net.hope you get sorted.