Plan A Bit More

Steve The Weed

Hi all.

I'm a loft grower. When I planned my gr way back in Feb I thought I had it all covered: future expansion; temp control; light seepage through the roof; isolation of flower/veg areas; the whole lot.

My first grow was great: super bud, clones, everything. I really thought I'd got everything as good as I could. 2 weeks ago I woke up to water pissing through the ceilings of 2 bedrooms at the rate of about a pint an hour.

Now, I know about a fair number of things, but plumbing isn't one. I figured 'turn off the main supply' would be a good idea - but the tap was stuck. I needed a plumber, and fast.

On inspection (and later diagnosis) I had a cracked cold water tank about 3 feet away from my 16 Northern Light clones; 10 Sweet Tooth seedlings (now about 10" high) and 8 Skunk seedlings (about the same height). I also had 5 Northern Lights in 12/12, close to 30" tall, in f'ing big (and heavy) pots.

It was a hot day, 2 bedrooms were being ruined, I had no option other than to get a plumber in - QUICK! and oh yeah, I had to move and hide a whole bunch of plants in about an hour. Ouch!!!

I planned my grow room around growing cannabis, I had not considered for a second the consequences of an event like this and how it could be dealt with. It was a scary two days (the time it took to repair the job), I was lucky my flowering plants were within 2 days of harvest otherwise I may have lost them; and I had 7 plants show definate signs of male and had to scrap them. Not to mention many frantic trips up and down an aluminium ladder moving plants; worrying about smell; and the cleaning up (until you have to conceal a grow room in around an hour, you won't believe the shit which you just accept as 'being there').

The point of the post: sure plan your grow room, but just think about 'what if'.

A tough lesson for The Weed, thought I'd share it, it may help someone one day.

:oldtoker:

Dead right Steve you must plan your space well. However no one can forsee something like the problem you had.

I sold my house half way through a grow. Everything was in the loft and it was fine because i never let anyone viewing the house up there. Then some fool went and put an offer in and the surveyor phoned an hour before he was coming round.

Don't need to say any more.

What a 'mare. Worth it in the end though, thats what you gotta keep thinking through times of hassle

• 2 weeks later...