Wardrobe Growroom Help Please

chez

I plan to get a 400w HPS Light (http://www.fastlight.co.uk/GROLITE.htm).

My main concerns are cooling the room and controlling the smell.

The room is 4ft wide x 2ft deep x 8 foot tall, with a shelf 2.5ft from the top. This shelf only comes out 1.75ft from the wall. There is an identical wardrobe next to this one, separated by a plasterboard wall.

I guess I will need to take into account the area above the shelf when considering cooling?? Would I be better off extending this shelf to form 2 separate areas so that I only have to worry about the lower area?

I plan to have the exhaust air going through the ceiling into the loft above, how can I deal with the smell without spending a lot of money? I have considered an ozonator but cannot find anywhere in the Uk to get one at a reasonable cost.

Bearing in mind the size of the room and the 400w HPS light, how many times a minute should I be changing the air?? If i knew how many times to change the air, I could calculate the fan size needed.

My intake will be at the bottom of the warbrobe, through the wall to the wardrobe next to it (they are built in). I can keep the other wardrobe open slightly to allow good airflow in without any problems. Should I have passive intakes or will I need fans?

I am hoping to grow 2 or 3 plants, preferably white russian. I have smoked white widow in 'dam and get AK-47 here, both are awesome and I want to see what a cross between the two is like!

I know that's a lot of questions, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chez

lol welcome to uk420 chez...Glad you could make it.

I've already given you one lot of advice, so i'll leave it open for the others to reply. That way you'll get at least a couple more ideas/thoughts on what to do.

Chip

PS. It was only a short trip from overgrow eh

:ninja:

Hi chip.

Cheers for the welcome.

Nice little site this, Overgrow is great but too focused on the US.

Cheers for the advice also, as you say, I thought I might get a few more ideas here, then decide which will work best in my siuation.

I've heard Highlander is the man for exhaust fan advice etc... That is my main issue now really.

Chez

Hi,

I grow in a built in wardrobe with very similar dimensions to yours 4ft x 1.5ft x height of the room ( bout 8ft i think ). The wardrobe is dived into two parts with a top cupboard taking up the last 2ft. So altogether my space is 4' x 1.5' x 6'. i run a 400w hps in there, and have completely covered the insides and backs of the doors with mylar. I use a 5" b&q extractor that from what can remember by using the figures quoted on the box clears the space completely 3 times a minute.

Now i know that apparently the figures are no where near correct and with ducting it halves the value for every metre of duct. But according to the growell catalogue you need to clear your space once every three minutes so even if my fans only doing 1/9 of what it says its still doin the amount growell recommend. My temps are around 25-30 degrees this summer during the day.

For intake, i use a passive system and bought an air vent thinggy lol from b&q which is like an S-shaped plastic shaped brick so that no light can get through. As for the amount of plants to put in the space it all depends really on how big u grow them. I normally do 4 or 5 but this time round with the adventure mix i planted all 12 so hopefully will end up with 7 or 8 fems. Last grow i harvested around 8 oz of doublegum off 5 plants grown in soil which i was pretty pleased with :ninja:

If you click on the link to my overgrow gallery in my signature youll see a load of pics of the plants in the wardrobe / set up etc goin back from a couple of years ago to more recent.

Hope this helps

peace

Chilli

I've heard Highlander is the man for exhaust fan advice etc... That is my main issue now really

you heard right sunshine..... lol ...also Trichome UK is a bit of a ventilation freak, not as mad as Highlander either.... ;):D

Your space sounds cool......

In your position I would extend the shelf, and use the top space for raising cuttings, get a couple of flouros up there........

vent the bottom space by putting a hole through the top space and use some of that silver ducting....this should keep the light from the flouros from penetrating your predominantly flowering room below.......

I reckon a 4inch LTi would be more than adequate....(if LTi do a 4 incher that is....), but the above mentioned pro-airflow experts would probably go for the 10inch turbo specials.......

Venting the top space isn't an issue, just make a hole in the top that you can cover and uncover to control the heat..........

Passive intakes should be okay for you, make sure they're big enough to do their job, and well baffled for light pollution........okay chip? :ninja:

I have a couple of mates growing in the same sort of spaces as you, mine is 3'x3', so similar area.....Now I have 36 plants in there, I, a couple of mates have over 40.......We don't concentrate on the per plant yield, but aim to maximise the per sq ft yield........Veg time is minimised, pots are downsized......I imagine this is the sort of advice chip gave you too.....

On the other hane I know people grow 1 or 2 "trees" in the same space.....long veg times, top per plant yields, but much poorer overall yield, and much longer between harvests.......

Probably you still have questions.....chip and Chilli both good growers, me been doing it for a while....we all have different methods, you eventually find what suits you through experimenting, listen to as much as you can, read loads, and try different things out....you find YOUR way, I bet no two of us use exactly the same set up and techniques........

Good Luck mate,

Mono.....x

and well baffled for light pollution........okay chip?  

Well said that man!!

you eventually find what suits you through experimenting, listen to as much as you can, read loads, and try different things out....you find YOUR way,

Even more top advice. Just to back him up, no one space, place, environment, etc is the same. All are slightly different as is the grower.

Chip

Mono, 10" lti, wrdrobe . Behave yourself please :oldtoker: .

Chez ,

Chilliuk is doing fine with a bathroom extractor,

Mono and Chip mention the fact that everyone has their own system suited to themselves.

Why do bathroom extractors work for some people and not for others?

It all depends on the temps outside the growroom. i.e. a cool basement pr upstairs in a house that is stifling hot in the summer.

As chilliuk said you lose efficiency when using ducting and bending it as well.

Can you afford £80 on a 4"lti/ closet extractor?

Are you worried about other people in the house(neighbours won't hear it,no matter how stoned and paranoid you get) hearing a slight hum in the dead of night?

Do you want to get your light as close as possible to get massive yields?

If you answered YES,NO,YES then buy one.

Gotta go nagging woman.

ps for size of light find the square footage of your growing area. divide the 600w/400w by that to give you a figure of 50 watts per square foot. Don't go less than 40 or higher than 70ish unless you are going to get a co2 maker.

Yeah yeah., nice one Highlander........ :oldtoker:

To tell the truth chez, I advise an LTi, but I too use a bathroom extractor like Chill.....BUT, I don't have to duct through any distance as my veg "chamber" B) is remote......

Don't go less than 40 or higher than 70ish unless you are going to get a co2 maker.

I sense a new mission Highlander..... :D , be strong.....

:D

Mono.....x

• 2 weeks later...

"also Trichome UK is a bit of a ventilation freak"

lol! Not quite m8, I just know my stuff :D

A 5" RVK/"LTI" will cover a 400W in a wardrobe fine.

All the best

I sense a new mission Highlander.....  , be strong.....

Aye, be strong highlander, make your trunk stronger by adding CO2.

Be good for testing your claymores on :lol: ::D:

Chip

>>>> Forget CO2'ing, unless you have a proper system set-up - i.e. tanks, timers, etc.

CO2 is a nutrient and messing about with baking soda won't help the plants.

If you don't want to do it properly, just increase venting.

The Dutch commercial method is Fast Venting: they never use CO2.

All the best