Worm Castings

Fred Flint Stoned

I will be growing v.soon now and I will be going back to good ol' soil. I will be using John Innes No.1 and perlite but I want to add something a bit special this time (yes, I am really going to go for it this time).

I have read that it is meant to one of the best mixes their is and I would like to know if people have tried it and if so, what mix they used.

I hope this has not been asked before but I cannot see it. :oldtoker::oldtoker:

Hi Fred we have talked about JI here before but you may have missed it, John Innes is a chemical fertiliser based compost and not really organic. That aside JI#1 is really not really strong enough for puff its meant for seedlings and starter plants.

JI#3 Has the greatest reserves of fertiliser and is best for final potting.

Both 21st century garden and the organic growshop [in the finder above] sell Biobizz wormest which are high quality worm castings in 50 litre bags.

Hope this helps.

PS there are some interesting threads below about compost, when you have time take a read through, they tend to be the longer ones :oldtoker:.

cheers for that. I took it for granted that John Innes was organic, although it was recommended by a guy who does mainly grow with hydro.

Well, at least I have not bought any yet.

I asked a question on OG a good while ago about using my fish water and was wrongly told that I could not use it. I found the thread today by chance and someone else told me that while working with paradise seeds, he used it with great results so I think that will be getting used a lot

he also said that the best weed he had tried was a hydro set up using a fishtank, with no chemicals.

cheers for the quick reply...I think I am going to like it here. ;)

Hi Fred,

Fishwater ?

I was wondering about doing the same.

I've got a four foot tropical tank and the amount of waste I get from the 3 stage wet and dry filter is amazing

I had heard that part of the reason Israel breed koi carp in such large quantities is because the waste from the filter beds is ideal to keep the soil in the orange groves fertile.

If it can be used as nute for ganja, then i'm chucking a valuable free resource down the drain each fortnight lol

Hmm I’m sure I have answered this question before here, in my dreams maybe?

Any how you sure can use your tank change water, it is high on the N side so it gives a really green strong plant. I used to use my daughters tank change water all the time when she lived at home never bought a grow fert in years. The muck from the foam filters and stuff hoovered up from the gravel at the bottom of the tank wants diluting with a lot of tap water. Sorry but its a rule of thumb thing, you have to play it by ear. But in all the years I did this I never ever had fertiliser burn. I used the same thing when flowering but added earth juice bloom which is high P & K and little N to balance things, it made nice tasting buds.

Years back breeder Steve had a Aquaponics system running with hundreds of fish supplying the feed for his plants. The water was fed through grow tanks with a covers over and net cups a ft above the water I think there were air stones and spitters, the roots just hung down into the water. The roots stripped the residues from the fish waste as it flowed past and was recycled back to the fish tanks clean, a sort of water permaculture.

I better get a pen to keep track of threads as I forgot about this one. I asked breeder steve about it and he said pretty much (if not exactly) the same as oldtimer1. I suppose I can just buy good clean soil now and some REAL organic fert to top the fish water up as the hydrotops is out the window.

Cheers OT,

free nutes, clean fish,

Sorted

Or at least I would if half my crop hadn't turned hermie ;)

Oh well, learn from it and start again ;)

I better get a pen to keep track of threads as I forgot about this one.

Put your pen away mate, the solution to your problem almost here.

It should save OT from treble typing everything as well ;)